The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Not an Ineos axle breakage. What would you do in a similar situation?

Local time
10:19 AM
Reaction score
These pictures are from a FB feed from 4WD TV in Australia. https://www.4wdtv.com.au/ This crew does some difficult four-wheel driving in a live axle Iveco Daily 4x4 truck and produce videos and travel shows for commercial tv stations. Iveco Daily has the larger version of the Carraro axle with mechanical diff locks and are very close in design to the axles used in Grenadier and Quartermaster. The photos are for general interest and research, to illustrate the construction of the axle and that even the strongest looking components have an eventual failure point.
Daily Carraro axle.jpg

Daily Carraro axle2.jpg

Local time
Reaction score
It's not caused by fatique but clearly by excessive force or material failure on inner universal joint. Track rod and drag link look intact. If caused by force possible reasons include:
  • Front diff lock engaged, steering at full stop and good traction on both front tyres causing huge internal force on front axle.
  • Front diff lock engaged, steering at full stop and opposite tyre in air causing maximum driving force to this side.
  • Steering angle stop bolt failure or adjustment over threshold.
If this would happen to me in the outback and no spares would be available my survival plan would be:
  • Remove broken drive shaft parts (half shaft parts) from inside the swivel housing.
  • Block differential oil escaping to swivel housing.
  • Put knuckle back.
  • Force front diff lock on by a jump wire (if electrically operated).
  • Get back home on 3 x 4.

Local time
Reaction score
It's not caused by fatique but clearly by excessive force or material failure on inner universal joint. Track rod and drag link look intact. If caused by force possible reasons include:
  • Front diff lock engaged, steering at full stop and good traction on both front tyres causing huge internal force on front axle.
  • Front diff lock engaged, steering at full stop and opposite tyre in air causing maximum driving force to this side.
  • Steering angle stop bolt failure or adjustment over threshold.
If this would happen to me in the outback and no spares would be available my survival plan would be:
  • Remove broken drive shaft parts (half shaft parts) from inside the swivel housing.
  • Block differential oil escaping to swivel housing.
  • Put knuckle back.
  • Force front diff lock on by a jump wire (if electrically operated).
  • Get back home on 3 x 4.
Thats a good explanation, I'll change the thread to "What would you do in a similar situation?"
Most failures I have seen occur when the front lock is engaged the steering is turned a bit or with larger tyres, people driving hard to get through an obstacle that lifts and unloads a wheel then lands hard with very high sudden traction then axle failure. A few of the axles I have changed have had previous noticeable torque related cracking prior to the final failure.
My solution would be very similar. I would also remove the last good section from the double cardan and fit it back into the wheel spindle to hold the spindle and the wheel bearing together and allow normal driving without the risk of the wheel bearing and hub separating. Not sure if this is required with Carraro axle but on some IFS front ends this needs to be done for safety. If it was an outback road, in Australia most outback roads only need ground clearance, I would take the front drive shaft out and lock the t/case centre diff and drive in 4x2 if it was rougher terrain or wet I would use the same method as you described.

AWo

Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
I saw a broken axle on a Defender years ago. It was a Td4 2.4l...Land Rover switched from friction welding to normal welding of the swivel house casing to the axle tube. That didn't work, hair cracks developed, oil was leaking and then it failed. That caused a huge call back in two waves. But instead fitting a new axle you got a sleeve which does not prevent the failure, but that you loose you wheel at full speed. Absolutely irresponsible from my point of view. Even if you do not loose your wheel, other things may happen when it fails. Our 110 was called back in the second call back, even it has a friction welded axle....we didn't understand that, but we had to follow the call back as we would have lost the permission to drive the car, otherwise.

I must search the photo....

Edited: here we are, I have no access to the photo of the broken Defender, now,but later...

You see the crack and the clamp fitted to the axle to keep thing in place.

20210622_160117.jpg
20210622_160131.jpg
20210622_160204.jpg
20210622_160210.jpg

AWo

Last edited:
Local time
Reaction score
I saw a broken axle on a Defender years ago. It was a Td4 2.4l...Land Rover switched from friction welding to normal welding of the swivel house casing to the axle tube. That didn't work, hair cracks developed, oil was leaking and then it failed. That caused a huge call back in two waves. But instead fitting a new axle you got a sleeve which does not prevent the failure, but that you loose you wheel at full speed. Absolutely irresponsible from my point of view. Even if you do not loose your wheel, other things may happen when it fails. Our 110 was called back in the second call back, even it has a friction welded axle....we didn't understand that, but we had to follow the call back as we would have lost the permission to drive the car, otherwise.

I must search the photo....

Edited: here we are, I have no access to the photo of the broken Defender, now,but later...

You see the crack and the clamp fitted to the axle to keep thing in place.

View attachment 7873684
View attachment 7873685
View attachment 7873686
View attachment 7873687

AWo
Not just a LR thing, cracking axle housings is a common occurrence on most live axle 4x4s and trucks on out back roads when people continuously hit a wash outs, dips and creek beds fast in a heavily loaded vehicle. There is a lot of flex in an axle housing. I would not expect it on normal road use or moderate off-road use.

AWo

Local time
11:19 AM
Reaction score
Aha, however, with Land Rovers, even in tough use scenarios, this happened only with these bunch of Td4 axles. They are pretty rugged, but of course, everything has its limits.

AWo

Back
Top Bottom