The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Navigator - maps

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:13 PM
Reaction score
Good evening,

let's talk about satellite navigator for road use: to date I've never been interested in it on the IG but it's something I use from time to time and I'd like to understand how it works.

Is the pathfinfer only for offroad use or is it good on the road too?

What do you use for road use?

Thank you

gkhaldi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Good evening,

let's talk about satellite navigator for road use: to date I've never been interested in it on the IG but it's something I use from time to time and I'd like to understand how it works.

Thank you
Pathfinder is really for off-road use. I mostly use Waze or Apple - Google maps. Also installed a Garmin Tread Overland 8” that fits just right next to the steering wheel without interfering visibility. The Garmin can do both on road and off-road navigation.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
Good evening,

Thank you
Pathfinder would be useless on road as it is direct point to point guidance, with no map display. (simply a compass and distance to next waypoint)

On-road mapping is through either Android Auto or Apple CarPlay and whatever your favorite mapping app is.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 12.
Can I use Google Maps?
should i connect the phone via cable or does it connect via bluetooth?
I've never used Apple CarPlay.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:13 AM
Reaction score
I have an iPhone 12.
Can I use Google Maps?
should i connect the phone via cable or does it connect via bluetooth?
I've never used Apple CarPlay.
Yep, it will all connect wirelessly and display Google Maps on the screen

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:13 AM
Reaction score
great thanks!
I'm not sure how good Waze works in Italy, but if it's available there, you might give it a try. You may find it better than Google Maps. I use Waze almost exclusively. The only downside is that it uses other user's input from their Waze to know what's going on, like an accident, construction, object on the road, or police radar. If there aren't any other users driving with Waze, you don't get the warnings. But, the navigation is excellent. Google owns Waze, so there is a lot of overlap.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
even though the software isn't installed on the car's computer, can it still be used fluidly and quickly?

I usually use google maps and I've never use AppleCarPlay.

gkhaldi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
even though the software isn't installed on the car's computer, can it still be used fluidly and quickly?

Waze works like a charm. Just be mindful that Waze for some strange reason completely craps out when getting close to Switzerland or driving in Switzerland. Nothing to do with the reception but I guess something about “legal” requirements since Waze allows for traffic camera’s to be announced.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:13 AM
Reaction score

Since the applications (apps) are run on the phone and are mirrored on the car's screen, I guess the speed limit depends on the processing speed of the chipset on the phone and throughput of the connection. I've used Android Auto for the last 6 years and am on my third phone since that time. I've never really had any lag issues that I noticed. I have had my iPhone 12 for about 2 years and haven't noticed any difference better or worse between the speed of the apps between the iPhone or the Samsung z-Fold 4, although I use the Samsung 90% of the time.

That said, very infrequently - maybe once a month or two - when I via connect Android Auto to my Kia, Waze doesn't render correctly and shows only a grey map with no detail and a only little traffic camera icon in the middle of the screen. I disconnect and reconnect the USB cable and it then seems to work normally. So, good technology but not perfect by far.

Back
Top Bottom