The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Minimalist Overlanding in a Grenadier

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:22 PM
Reaction score
The table looks really nice and covers up the wonky plastic door to the storage compartment!

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The table looks really nice and covers up the wonky plastic door to the storage compartment!
I didn’t order the table, but I do want one. I also want to take that door panel off in-person, and either make something myself or see what options come to market.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Starting to get ready for our African Overland tour. The rhino rack roof rack is a really well built solid piece of kit and definitely looks far more robust than other makes I’ve had. . I’ve fitted high lift jack brackets, maxtrax brackets, added another spare wheel and tyre onto the roof but didn’t use a specific mount just ratchet straps. Collected my Big Country, Ostrich wing awning from Tuff-Trek yesterday but mounting brackets for Rhino rack not arrived yet so have just ratchet strapped the awning to the roof. Will take the brackets in our luggage when we fly and fit awning on our arrival. Everything locked into place with a security cable and padlock.
Ineos camping table is really solid so very pleased with that. 😎
I don’t think we could be classed as minimalist overlanders though. View attachment 7820892View attachment 7820891View attachment 7820893
Curious - how many people and will you be bush camping? If you are, I’m very much interested in your camp set-up.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:22 PM
Reaction score
Curious - how many people and will you be bush camping? If you are, I’m very much interested in your camp set-up.
Hope this helps.
We are two people. Husband and wife. Yes we will bush camp when away from any villages or remote enough. Mainly we will camp in camp sites whether that is en route or in National Parks. Many of the more remote camps especially in Botswana have no facilities at all excepting long drop loos and you can’t always use them if animals are around. Check this and many others on utube. 😂.
View: https://youtu.be/yQRBldCxfX0

We will be using a Campmor safari Bella Vista tent with ex army camp beds with Berghaus air 10 mattresses. (Super comfy) . Ostrich wing awning fitted to left side. Fold up camp table by Hi Gear.
5x 20L explosion proof Jerry cans for petrol. 5x 20L water jerry cans. 2x 100watt portable suitcase style solar panels
2x Oztent folding chairs again very comfy. One box tools. 2box sundries inc spare filters, brake pads and electrical repair kit, two part epoxy, cable ties, wire, nuts n bolts etc. Mr Funnel filter for taking fuel from roadside sources. Coleman twin burner petrol stove that we’ve had for years and wouldn’t be without. Box of kitchen/cooking kit. A luxury item is our Cobb cooker which is charcoal fired and great for bread or roast foods but is quite bulky.
IMG_2028.jpegIMG_2027.jpegARB 47L fridge
Tmax compressor, deflator, tyre levers and tyre repair kit. Machete and silky saw. Shovel. Recovery kit inc shackles, straps, winch extension, soft shackles etc. 2x spare tyres on rims. 4x recovery tracks, hi-lift jack. Camera equipment. 30L Drum as a semi automatic washing machine.😎
A big bag of cheap reading glasses of different strengths as gifts and small bribe for awkward officials.
Old cameras and phones as gifts for friends in Malawi or as a gift for a really corrupt and persistent official, but we do try not make a habit of that but useful on occasion.
A few other bits and pieces I can’t think of now but that’s the bulk of it. I would love to take an OBD2 tool/code reader with me but as far as I’m aware not available yet for the Grenadier.
Note some of the lighter items such as chairs and washing drum will go on the roof rack when touring but for shipping all inside.

Last edited:

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Logsplitter, I am insanely jealous. I retire in September, still in my mid 50’s so I would love to drive out like this. Ultimate goal would be Cape Town where my sister is.

When do you go buddy ? I am sort of surprised you didn’t elect to drive the whole way or are you under time constraints

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Logsplitter, I am insanely jealous. I retire in September, still in my mid 50’s so I would love to drive out like this. Ultimate goal would be Cape Town where my sister is.

When do you go buddy ? I am sort of surprised you didn’t elect to drive the whole way or are you under time constraints
We have 6 months then I need to do some work again. But a trans africa and trans South America is in the pipe line. Doing a north to south takes time as a shame to rush it and also visas and border crossing more of a problem in West Africa . We ship to Cape Town then go from there. A wedding in the Cedarburg mountains in South Africa and visiting friends in Malawi from our volunteer days are a definite . The rest we make it up as we go although Botswana and Namibia we love so more of that Including the central Kalahari in Botswana and the Marienfluss in Northern Namibia.
A good test of the Grenadier. 👍🏼

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
We have 6 months then I need to do some work again. But a trans africa and trans South America is in the pipe line. Doing a north to south takes time as a shame to rush it and also visas and border crossing more of a problem in West Africa . We ship to Cape Town then go from there. A wedding in the Cedarburg mountains in South Africa and visiting friends in Malawi from our volunteer days are a definite . The rest we make it up as we go although Botswana and Namibia we love so more of that Including the central Kalahari in Botswana and the Marienfluss in Northern Namibia.
A good test of the Grenadier. 👍🏼
Sounds like a WONDERFUL trip. Enjoy!

Reactions: PBD

PBD

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hope this helps.
We are two people. Husband and wife. Yes we will bush camp when away from any villages or remote enough. Mainly we will camp in camp sites whether that is en route or in National Parks. Many of the more remote camps especially in Botswana have no facilities at all excepting long drop loos and you can’t always use them if animals are around. Check this and many others on utube. 😂.
View: https://youtu.be/yQRBldCxfX0

We will be using a Campmor safari Bella Vista tent with ex army camp beds with Berghaus air 10 mattresses. (Super comfy) . Ostrich wing awning fitted to left side. Fold up camp table by Hi Gear.
5x 20L explosion proof Jerry cans for petrol. 5x 20L water jerry cans. 2x 100watt portable suitcase style solar panels
2x Oztent folding chairs again very comfy. One box tools. 2box sundries inc spare filters, brake pads and electrical repair kit, two part epoxy, cable ties, wire, nuts n bolts etc. Mr Funnel filter for taking fuel from roadside sources. Coleman twin burner petrol stove that we’ve had for years and wouldn’t be without. Box of kitchen/cooking kit. A luxury item is our Cobb cooker which is charcoal fired and great for bread or roast foods but is quite bulky.
View attachment 7821028View attachment 7821027ARB 47L fridge
Tmax compressor, deflator, tyre levers and tyre repair kit. Machete and silky saw. Shovel. Recovery kit inc shackles, straps, winch extension, soft shackles etc. 2x spare tyres on rims. 4x recovery tracks, hi-lift jack. Camera equipment. 30L Drum as a semi automatic washing machine.😎
A big bag of cheap reading glasses of different strengths as gifts and small bribe for awkward officials.
Old cameras and phones as gifts for friends in Malawi or as a gift for a really corrupt and persistent official, but we do try not make a habit of that but useful on occasion.
A few other bits and pieces I can’t think of now but that’s the bulk of it. I would love to take an OBD2 tool/code reader with me but as far as I’m aware not available yet for the Grenadier.
Note some of the lighter items such as chairs and washing drum will go on the roof rack when touring but for shipping all inside.
Cob are great👍

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I think we are all jealous. Do write a blog and post loads of pictures and videos. Something I would dream of, but know will never happen.
Actually Southern Africa is easy to self drive. And if going for a while is cheaper to send your own vehicle than hiring plus you can go anywhere in your own and technically no off road in hire cars and they all have trackers.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Logsplitter
Mate do you have a youtube channel or insta so we can follow you on your journey?

If not - start one!! ;) :D
I’ll see if I can persuade my co driver to do something. I’d like to provide some positive feedback and publicity for Ineos also. I think it could be good for them if we have a fault free journey or if sh-t happens they could get positive feed back of how they helped us resolve any issue we may may have had either via remote support, getting parts out to us or even the famous flying spanner’s 🤔

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My wife just saw this on face book. Northern Kgalagadi transfrontier park. We were there in 2020 at the same camp but the lions didn’t chew our Defender tyres. 😳IMG_0329.png

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Our Grenadier is now in a warehouse in the arse end of Rotterdam awaiting loading into a container. When we shipped our Defender the batteries were left connected but this time they insist on disconnecting the batteries so a re pack was needed to allow access to the battery compartment, easily done by strapping more kit to the roof and filling up the passenger footwell and seat. Saves having a flat battery the other end.
Due in Cape Town on 13th September if all goes to plan.
We are missing Liberty the Grenadier already 😢IMG_2060.jpegIMG_2066.jpeg

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:22 AM
Reaction score
Our Grenadier is now in a warehouse in the arse end of Rotterdam awaiting loading into a container. When we shipped our Defender the batteries were left connected but this time they insist on disconnecting the batteries so a re pack was needed to allow access to the battery compartment, easily done by strapping more kit to the roof and filling up the passenger footwell and seat. Saves having a flat battery the other end.
We are missing Liberty the Grenadier already 😢View attachment 7821854View attachment 7821856
Probably due to the problems with some Lithium batteries spontaneously combusting

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Probably due to the problems with some Lithium batteries spontaneously combusting
Bizarrely the guy at the warehouse reckoned they don’t have to disconnect electric car batteries when shipping. I’m just hoping there aren’t any electric cars that are going to combust on the same boat as our Grenadier 😳

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:22 PM
Reaction score
We are missing Liberty the Grenadier already 😢View attachment 7821854View attachment 7821856
How will they roll the car in the container?

Back
Top Bottom