The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Land Rover feeling the Heat?

AWo

Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
Despite having this image for decades, JLR has success. Maybe because people lease the cars for a few years and are not bothered with the problems. I don't know.

In the end the money counts. Fullstop.

AWo

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:01 PM
Reaction score
Same here, most of my neighbours work for them (or Aston Martin) and get regular banter, especially when the flat bed turns up for their (heavily discounted) broken lease vehicle.
A woman I used to work with tried to talk me into buying a Defender instead of the Grenadier.
They had just purchased one and loved it.
It seems her brother in law had talked her husband into buying it.
First year was ok.
Then it stopped working and back to the dealer on a truck.
Needed a new wiring loom due to faulty wiring, from Ukraine I believe.
2 months later they got it back.
Then the display stopped working, followed by the external cameras.
Once they were fixed they decided to sell it.
Unfortunately they owed more than they could sell it for.
After lots of lawyer action JLR took it back

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Regarding SMMT 51 Ineos cars have been registered in the UK in May. That is +2 compared to April.

AWo

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
In Germany the Grenadier M1 registrations fell down to 31 in May from 34 in April. The N1 numbers will be published 06-13-2024.
New Defender registrations fell from 329 to 187.

AWo

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:01 PM
Reaction score
A couple of my neighbours with New Defenders have already said they will not get another when the leases expire. More likely to go Discovery or a variant thereof.
Great engines and transmissions in those diesel Defenders by the way.

Local time
Reaction score
Great plan, New Defender is tehnically same as Disco 5 :rolleyes:
And the 2,0-litre diesel can't be described as "great", more like "great disaster". TdV6 neither is great, only the inline 6 and petrol engines may be.
Sorry to say :(

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
The 2.0 diesel was dropped wasn’t it, I don’t think there is anyone the the motor trade who would accept a JLR with that engine in it without a 1001 questions first. They all know they are a potential grenade without a hell of a lot of remedial work.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And the 2,0-litre diesel can't be described as "great", more like "great disaster". TdV6 neither is great, only the inline 6 and petrol engines may be.
I was referring to the B57 with the ZF transmission.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:01 AM
Reaction score
I actually thought that the defender was the most reliable of the LR range at the minute, so the tales of wow from current owners doesn’t bode well for any of them. 😳

AWo

Local time
Reaction score

The New Defender does also have the GKN rear axle with two clutches for torque vectoring?

AWo

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am watching with interest what Vera and Christian do. I really like their YT channel and watch it every week (despite not having a Discovery or any JLR products now). This week, they have been looking at ND and also IG. Christian actually hinted that they were deciding on which one to go for. I suspect they may not do anything soon (or just go for a ND knowing it will break down soon - thus providing content for their channel)

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
9:01 PM
Reaction score
Someone I would be happy to refer to as one of the industries true gentlemen reviewing an alternative to a Grenadier.
I am sure there are a lot of people on here who understand the term of a "True Gentleman" and the gravitas it carries.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Q7B6XTM42k
I watched that at brekky time; the cracked tyres were typical of cars that sit unused for years. Braver than me putting all that torque through them!

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I finally convinced my wife to part-ex her inherited Velar for a Lexus. I will breath a sigh of relief when it goes. Thought I could hear a timing chain rattle last time it past me.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Regarding Market Lines there are 3,121 Ineos cars sold in the U.S. between Januar and May, 523 of them in May. Land Rover sold 8,284 cars in May and 38,845 at all. For Land Rover that is an increase in sales about 10,000 units compared to 2023.

Sales Ineos / Land Rover U.S. 2024 year-to date

2024-06-11_10h01_50.jpg

AWo

Last edited:

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
I tried to figure out the numbers for Australia, but it is diffcult as Ineos is not member of the Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) they do not report their official numbers to VFACTS. Even the Chinese Cherry reports their numbers...so I tried it with official numbers from the Gouvernment. I don't know how reliable these are. However, Mr. Hovecar form Ineos claimed that about 900 unit are already sold in the mid of 2023 incl. Tasmania. Proof? Not possible for me, yet.

For November 2023 the numbers are: lowest SsangYong 265 units, Ineos not listed, Land Rover 919 units (New Defender 349).
For December 2023 the numbers are: lowest Cupra 245 units, Ineos not listed, Land Rover 320 units.
For January 2024 the numbers are: lowest Polestar 211units, Ineos not listed, Land Rover 564 units.
For February the numbers are: lowest Renault 317 units, Ineos not listed, Land Rover 335 units.
For March the numbers are: lowest Jaguar 131 units, Ineos not listed, Land Rover 789 units (New Defender 198).
For March the numbers are: lowest SsangYong 158 units, Ineos not listed, Land Rover 598 units (New Defender 285).

When the numbers are ghigh enough, the modell ist listed. That is why sometime only the complete number is listed and sometime the single models. Ineos was never listed with tehri own entry, they are always found under "Others", at least for 2024

Source: Bureau of Infrastructure and Transport Research, Australia.

AWo

Back
Top Bottom