The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Incoming: The Review To Define All Reviews - Jeremy Clarkson

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
Yes, that struck me as an odd comment.

He got a vehicle that had been on the big Scottish launch that was production vehicles. Production having started in October 22 and these vehicles were first registered in UK Jan 23.
All of the units on the Scottish launch/media event were technically prototypes; granted they were PTO4s, which are essentially equivalent to the production, but not quite

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:15 PM
Reaction score
Even with headrests folded, there’s quite a pitch to the seat backs.
Not wanting to be an apologist for Ineos, but if you add any weight (boxes, etc) to the seat backs they will squash flat quite easily.

I was debating between a seat delete/dog box replacement or if I’d just be able to fold the seats down, but I’m picturing a dog not holding to those sloped and slick seat backs very well.
Surely, the responsible choices are : You're either going to have the seat delete and a full cargo barrier, seats up and a half cargo barrier, or full on dog crate?

Either way it does make sense that this is what Clarkson was referring to given the ubiquity of fold flat load compartments on other vehicles. Heck, some of them have a whole other row back there and still have a fold flat cargo area so it’s definitely doable.
Yes, given the Grenadier was a blank piece of paper design, it's hard to see why the batteries could not be lowered/laid on their sides for a full flat floor.

Good review by Clarkson - quite fair actually. It highlights some of the design, market, and teething issues we’ve been talking about here.
More honest than Harry Melcalfe, who seems to have been initially happy to gloss over all the faults to ensure he stayed "on side"?

Hopefully Ineos takes note for future improvements.
Under normal circumstances, wouldn't a major manufacturer sack someone in the PR/engineering team for giving a vehicle with such faults to a key motoring journalist?

Edit: for typos.

Last edited:

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
All of the units on the Scottish launch/media event were technically prototypes; granted they were PTO4s, which are essentially equivalent to the production, but not quite
Isn't that re-writing history ~ we had production start in October...these vehicles do not have the additional emergency stop buttons, have been given out for open road use to all and sundry and were full type approval registrations with DVLA.

What makes you say they were technically prototypes?

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:15 AM
Reaction score
Isn't that re-writing history ~ we had production start in October...these vehicles do not have the additional emergency stop buttons and have been given out for open road use to all and sundry. What makes you say they were technically prototypes?
I'm not sure when the PTO4s were built; the US PTO2s were built about a year ago

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My doors have nicely worn in and I don’t have to slam them anymore. I would rather have them like this than complaining there too flimsy. If your outer door seals are intact and stuck on properly, the door shuts become easier.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
4:15 AM
Reaction score
Not wanting to be an apologist for Ineos, but if you add any weight (boxes, etc) to the seat backs they will squash flat quite easily.

Surely, the responsible choices are : You're either going to have the seat delete and a full cargo barrier, seats up and a half cargo barrier, or full on dog crate?

Yes, given the Grenadier was a blank piece of paper design, it's hard to see why the batteries could be lowered/laid on their sides for a full flat floor.

More honest than Harry Melcalfe, who seems to have been initially happy to gloss over all the faults to ensure he stayed "on side"?

Under normal circumstances, wouldn't a major manufacturer sack someone in the PR/engineering team for giving a vehicles with such faults to a key motoring journalist?

Thanks DCPU for the info that the seats will squish - that makes sense. Seems a bit silly to design a seat that doesn't fold flat until the headrests are adjusted, but then still doesn't fold flat. So your statement that they will squish makes sense.

As for the dog box, it's a bit more complex in my situation - I have a 3 year old son, as well as at least one (often two - had to say goodbye to one in August) German Shepherds. My current rig had a 70/30 split rear, and so I took out the 70 section, leaving my son in his carseat on the 30 section, and I built a dog box where the 70 section used to be. The box is fully isolated via grate from my son; in the event of an accident (or a deer/squirrel/other dog on the side of the road they decide to run at!), the box serves the purpose of keeping the dogs separate from my son. You can sort of see how it looks in these photos:

IMG_3011.jpeg
Dogs are on this side; you can see the car seat behind the barrier. The box also flips up and that's where we store dog-related items and rain gear so it's handy.

IMG_2947.jpeg
Plenty of room for the dog(s) - they both used to lie down back there with room to spare, sleeping away the many miles. We had a substantively similar setup in our Jeep - but our Jeep was before the little guy came along!

This system works really well for me, but in an ideal world, I'd like to be able to do both a dog box and a passenger seat - instead of having to "delete" the 70 section of the rear seat, I am hoping to be able to box it in like I currently have done to keep child/dogs separate, but have the seat itself folded flat when the dogs are in there. Then, on the occasion where I have to bring a two-legged passenger, I can flip the seats up and they can use the seat as a seat. Easy to fold flat when I tire of human company and put the dogs back in :D

Agreed on the design - especially with modern batteries being sealed, there are a lot of orientations that would work.

I think you hit the nail on the head though - Ineos seems to have decided to finish building the plane while flying it; I can't fathom why they'd turn over these vehicles to prominent journalists without addressing the issues, and if those issues are not yet ready to be addressed, they should have waited. These unflattering reviews are not doing them any favours.

LC0013

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
I think you hit the nail on the head though - Ineos seems to have decided to finish building the plane while flying it; I can't fathom why they'd turn over these vehicles to prominent journalists without addressing the issues, and if those issues are not yet ready to be addressed, they should have waited. These unflattering reviews are not doing them any favours.
Well, at some point you have to have some cash inflow....

Local time
Reaction score
Maybe because he bags out everything US related.
Yes he does, though he liked the C6Z06 and the Ford GT, but little if anything else.
How about the reports of him punching staff members because his steak wasnt ready or something...

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yes he does, though he liked the C6Z06 and the Ford GT, but little if anything else.
How about the reports of him punching staff members because his steak wasnt ready or something...
He did hit the producer, after being told all the hotel could give him was a salad after being out all day in very cold, wet Yorkshire weather filming something rather stupid for Top Gear.

Personally, I like him, he tends to say what he thinks, which I think is a positive in this strange woke world we are all in today.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:15 PM
Reaction score
I think his, along with Richard and James, sense of humour appeals a lot more to British & Australian tastes than US or many other countries.
As discussed before the US taste in motor vehicles and motoring in general is very different to the rest of the world.
His relationship with his own Ford GT is a bit of a love hate relationship and I am pretty sure he only owned it for a month.

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:15 AM
Reaction score
I think his, along with Richard and James, sense of humour appeals a lot more to British & Australian tastes than US or many other countries.
As discussed before the US taste in motor vehicles and motoring in general is very different to the rest of the world.
His relationship with his own Ford GT is a bit of a love hate relationship and I am pretty sure he only owned it for a month.

Yes - I never really got the big appeal of top gear and JC. I find him a little bit funny. Also watched a couple of the farm show episodes. It's ok.

I do like old school British humor. Monty Python (shows and movies) along with Fawlty Towers are brilliant.

Local time
Reaction score
Yes - I never really got the big appeal of top gear and JC. I find him a little bit funny. Also watched a couple of the farm show episodes. It's ok.

I do like old school British humor. Monty Python (shows and movies) along with Fawlty Towers are brilliant.
Im more of a Benny Hill fan.

• Haha
Reactions: CB

grenadierboy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
British, Australian, NZ (more?) tend to love sarcastic humour - no so much Americans.

Anyway - that's his Sunday Times (word limited piece) - does anyone know if is he going to do a more in-depth video review (i.e. like Harry?)

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
British, Australian, NZ (more?) tend to love sarcastic humour - no so much Americans.

Anyway - that's his Sunday Times (word limited piece) - does anyone know if is he going to do a more in-depth video review (i.e. like Harry?)
I would have thought he'd do the right thing and wait until he got a proper customer spec one to review. The same as every other car.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well, at some point you have to have some cash inflow....
There's always been "plenty" of cash flowing into the business from the contract work of building Smarts and assemblies for MB.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks DCPU for the info that the seats will squish - that makes sense. Seems a bit silly to design a seat that doesn't fold flat until the headrests are adjusted, but then still doesn't fold flat. So your statement that they will squish makes sense.

Just to qualify the seat statement - it does rather depend on having the front seats far enough forward to allow. Clarkson's quite a big chap, so it's possible it wasn't possible for him to do it and maintain enough room to get in the front:
FB_IMG_1674371732444.jpg

Back
Top Bottom