The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hill Hold on hill starts

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:44 AM
Reaction score
So I've noticed during a few steep hill starts at road junctions that the Gren is inclined to roll backwards. I'm pretty quick between brake and accelerator pedals but I expect any driver that pulled up behind me has thought perhaps they should've left more room!

Does anyone else see this characteristic on their vehicle? I've read elsewhere on the forum that the Gren is supposed to have 'Hill Assist', but if it does it doesn't seem to work for me during normal road driving. Is it just an offroad feature or is it supposed to be similar to 'Hill Hold' which you get on every modern car with an auto box?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So I've noticed during a few steep hill starts at road junctions that the Gren is inclined to roll backwards. I'm pretty quick between brake and accelerator pedals but I expect any driver that pulled up behind me has thought perhaps they should've left more room!

Does anyone else see this characteristic on their vehicle? I've read elsewhere on the forum that the Gren is supposed to have 'Hill Assist', but if it does it doesn't seem to work for me during normal road driving. Is it just an offroad feature or is it supposed to be similar to 'Hill Hold' which you get on every modern car with an auto box?
I completely agree, I get the roll on hill starts, and as an automatic it shouldn't.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
yep, same here. Haven't tried left foot braking yet.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I suppose I cld always use the handbrake but haven't done that since I was 17 and an examiner was sitting next to me!

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I suppose I cld always use the handbrake but haven't done that since I was 17 and an examiner was sitting next to me!
My handbrake needs adjusting. That doesn’t hold me either. It’s in next week for a check over and will get that sorted.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My handbrake needs adjusting. That doesn’t hold me either. It’s in next week for a check over and will get that sorted.
I've booked mine in down at Harwoods, Portsmouth (you suggested) for late August to have it's first service and a small snag list.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I've booked mine in down at Harwoods, Portsmouth (you suggested) for late August to have it's first service and a small snag list.
Steve the technician is a good man. 😍

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
So far we have one with and five without. You must have got lucky!

Mine works as well. You need to stamp on it first though.

In terms of autos rolling back, my 200 would roll back a bit before the hill assist kicked in, but by kick in I mean the ABS would make one hell of a grinding noise as it slowed momentum. First time it happened I’d wondered what the hel I’d broken.

Tom D

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Can you be more precise about the HS not working? I'm wondering if its a situational thing. Mine doesn't work if you don't press the brake. So if you coasted uphill to a junction and stopped without braking it wouldn't prevent a roll back. However if you put your foot on the brake it will hold for 2 seconds after you take your foot off. Some vehicles hold for longer. But 2 seconds is long enough to get from the brake to the accelerator. It holds for 2 seconds in both forward and reverse.

BigJock2024

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
No hill assist on mine, but I'm used to that and the auto behaves pretty much as any other.
It will hold you on moderate hills, but if it's steep enough, with almost 3 tonnes on there, it will roll back.
Just apply a bit of throttle, you should be doing that anyway in prep for moving off!

Reactions: PBD

G-Man

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
No hill assist on mine, but I'm used to that and the auto behaves pretty much as any other.
It will hold you on moderate hills, but if it's steep enough, with almost 3 tonnes on there, it will roll back.
Just apply a bit of throttle, you should be doing that anyway in prep for moving off!
Yeah my Gren behaves like this. On a steep hill it'll roll back while you switch from brake to accelerator pedal and then once enough revs build it thinks better of it but that's just the auto box doing its thing, no brakes seem to be involved

Reactions: PBD

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Mine definitely holds if I stop on a hill. Not sure if it is the brakes or the transmission.

Back
Top Bottom