The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Hi from Colorado! Three months of ownership down. Just completed a shifter swap!

outono

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
Been following along on FB. Love it!

Was it a straight swap or did you have to make some modifications?

How much did the Supra shifter cost?

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:01 AM
Reaction score
Here is my TrialMaster and new shifter swap ( Spring lift and 315 /17 tires. )
Hi Scotch1974, Looks very nice.

Does it shift as seamless as the original Grenadier shifter?

I have a 2020 New Defender with an 8 speed ZF auto trans and the shifter for it does not function as nicely
as the Grenadier's shifter. The ZF transmissions on both are perfect, however the way the shifter on the
Grenadier works is seamless compared to how the shifter functions on the 2020 New Defender.
DaBull

Scotch1974

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:01 AM
Reaction score
Hi Scotch1974, Looks very nice.

Does it shift as seamless as the original Grenadier shifter?

I have a 2020 New Defender with an 8 speed ZF auto trans and the shifter for it does not function as nicely
as the Grenadier's shifter. The ZF transmissions on both are perfect, however the way the shifter on the
Grenadier works is seamless compared to how the shifter functions on the 2020 New Defender.
DaBull
It does. It is the same mechanism but with the Supra handle replacing the Grenadier handle.

Scotch1974

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I purchased the Supra handle off of eBay. Technically the entire Supra unit is plug and play but the bezel is different. Other wise you could just swap them out and go. That said, I took the Supra handle off its shifter post and repeated the process for the Grenny handle and then installed the Supra handle on the Grenny sifter post, taking care to not brake the ribbon cable clip. All this can be done in the car, but I took mine out so as to have better access to the ribbon cable. Please let us know how this was done!

Attachments

• IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 173
  • IMG_0229.jpeg
    IMG_0229.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0231.jpeg
    IMG_0231.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 126
  • IMG_0234.jpeg
    IMG_0234.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0240.jpeg
    IMG_0240.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 127
  • IMG_0469.jpeg
    IMG_0469.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 136
  • IMG_0468.jpeg
    IMG_0468.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_0488.jpeg
    IMG_0488.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0486.jpeg
    IMG_0486.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 125

Scotch1974

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A few more pics. I was able to just connect the stock Supra setup and drive the Grenny. But as I said earlier, you have to take the handle off anyway to access the bezel. I chose to leave the OEM Grenny base on and install the Supra handle instead of switching over the bezel to the Supra unit.

Attachments

• IMG_0477.jpeg
    IMG_0477.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0260.jpeg
    IMG_0260.jpeg
    41.7 KB · Views: 112
  • IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0228.jpeg
    IMG_0228.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 112

Scotch1974

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Been following along on FB. Love it!

Was it a straight swap or did you have to make some modifications?

How much did the Supra shifter cost?
84 bucks. No cutting or modification. I did disconnect the battery as a precaution, but I am not sure it was necessary.

Attachments

• IMG_0489.jpeg
    IMG_0489.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120

Scotch1974

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
One other note. The OEM shifter plastic cover on the shifter is glued on with two sided 3m foam tape. You will need to be extra careful prying it off. I used a heat gun on low and plastic panel trim tools.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpeg
    IMG_0485.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0486.jpeg
    IMG_0486.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 113

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:01 PM
Reaction score
Well done on both fronts! What I like with LHD variants is the manual mode is towards the driver and not offset.

SkiBum1

GG-4567
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:01 PM
Reaction score
A few more pics. I was able to just connect the stock Supra setup and drive the Grenny. But as I said earlier, you have to take the handle off anyway to access the bezel. I chose to leave the OEM Grenny base on and install the Supra handle instead of switching over the bezel to the Supra unit.
That looks like a complex job actually. Weren’t you a bit hesitant thinking you might muck it all up?

Scotch1974

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That looks like a complex job actually. Weren’t you a bit hesitant thinking you might muck it all up?
At first, but I did a little research and became more comfortable with it. Its really not that bad.

Last edited:

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@Scotch1974 I just ordered one from eBay and have been studying your pictures and instructions.

"I purchased the Supra handle off of eBay. Technically the entire Supra unit is plug and play but the bezel is different. Other wise you could just swap them out and go. That said, I took the Supra handle off its shifter post and repeated the process for the Grenny handle and then installed the Supra handle on the Grenny sifter post, taking care to not brake the ribbon cable clip. All this can be done in the car, but I took mine out so as to have better access to the ribbon cable. "

A few questions if you don't mind:

- do you switch the circuit boards I see in the pictures. i.e. put the Grenadier board in the Toyota lever?
- how hard is it to remove the plates to actually get to the shift lever?
- any special tools?
- any other tips or links online that you think will be helpful?

Thanks!

Scotch1974

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
So the handles are a universal base with the same ribbon cable, The steel mounting shafts are also the same for both handles. You literally just have to take them apart to get the bezel and the handle off. I used a small plastic trim tool, a heat gun and a precision screwdriver with star bits. (Heat gun is for the two sided tape on the Grenny cover) The Supra handle just snaps apart. There are 4 screws once the cover is off. Three are obvious and the fourth is under a rubber spacer. From there you lift the ribbon clip. It flips up and the ribbon cable slides out. Then unscrew the screw that keeps the handle mounted on the shaft and gently slide the handle up being careful to not damage the ribbon cable. Then you are done removing the supra shifter handle. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_0221.jpeg
    IMG_0221.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_0222.jpeg
    IMG_0222.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0224.jpeg
    IMG_0224.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0223.jpeg
    IMG_0223.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 42
  • IMG_0225.jpeg
    IMG_0225.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0232.jpeg
    IMG_0232.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0230.jpeg
    IMG_0230.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_0226.jpeg
    IMG_0226.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0229.jpeg
    IMG_0229.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 101
Last edited:

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So the handles are a universal base with the same ribbon cable, The steel mounting shafts are also the same for both handles. You literally just have to take them apart to get the bezel and the handle off. I used a small plastic trim tool, a heat gun and a precision screwdriver with star bits. (Heat gun is for the two sided tape on the Grenny cover) The Supra handle just snaps apart. There are 4 screws once the cover is off. Three are obvious and the fourth is under a rubber spacer. From there you lift the ribbon clip. It flips up and the ribbon cable slides out. Then unscrew the screw that keeps the handle mounted on the shaft and gently slide the handle up being careful to not damage the ribbon cable. Then you are done removing the supra shifter handle. Here are some pictures.
This is very helpful!

Last question. Any tips for taking off the panel that that shifter is on? Just remove all the exposed screws?

IMG_0477.jpeg

Scotch1974

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This is very helpful!

Last question. Any tips for taking off the panel that that shifter is on? Just remove all the exposed screws?

View attachment 7863489
Yes. I took the whole panel off. 4 screws. That said, if you do the switch in the car, you dont have to remove anything but the handle. I took mine out so I could do the swap at my desk.

Last edited:

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for answering all my questions!

Jiman01

Grenadier Ordered
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:01 PM
Reaction score
Maybe a dumb question but in IMG 226 and 230 where you show the shaft with handle removed…is the white piece that looks like a flag hovering above the shaft, the ribbon clip after it’s removed from the circuit board?

Thanks for posting and sharing your experiences.

Back
Top Bottom