The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier vs Simpson Desert

Local time
5:14 PM
Reaction score
Very late in the season for a Simpson crossing, it will be hot, and the traffic will be almost non existent this time of year, but the best vehicle in the world to do it in.
East West, or West East ? French line ?
The dunes will be dry and powdery but a lot of fun.
Have a great time, I and probably everyone on this forum will be very envious, and will be looking forward to progress reports.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:44 PM
Reaction score
Very late in the season for a Simpson crossing, it will be hot, and the traffic will be almost non existent this time of year, but the best vehicle in the world to do it in.
East West, or West East ? French line ?
The dunes will be dry and powdery but a lot of fun.
Have a great time, I and probably everyone on this forum will be very envious, and will be looking forward to progress reports.
Thanks @Steve.B

We’re headed to the French Line via QAA, East-West; after which we’ll carry on through to the west coast.

This is a pretty crucial commissioning trip in prep for the Americas next year.

We’ve been fortunate to have an early delivery. We’ll post photos (thanks StarLink) and look forward to seeing others out here, and on the other big tracks, next season.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:44 AM
Reaction score
By the way.
Anyone with a Grenadier is welcome to pull into my backyard and camp for the night if driving past.
I would if only I had won this lottery!
(for the newer members, around 9 month ago there has been a lottery in Brisbane (I think) with a Grenadier as a first price. I bought my shares and Dave offered me a place in his shed if I would win, so I would have no need to bring the car with the wrong side steering back to Germany with me.)
Unfortunately I never heard of the lottery again...

Edit: I inserted the correct link to the lottery

Last edited:

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That great photo begs a lot of questions!! It's the uncomplicated and 'simple' organised functionality which is immediately obvious and shouts long experience ! (I wish!!!)

I was wondering if you get time are you able to share how you have "packed" for the Simpson trip?
There appears to be no roof rack or roof bar in sight nor any hint of the now "ubiquitous"awning...
From what I can make out the rear seats are still in place so stuff is packed around what's already there... I realise this is in the context of a shake-down run in preparation for your bigger aspirations next year... nevertheless it damned impressive for this relative septuagenarian neophyte 🙄 :ROFLMAO:

e.g how much additional fuel are you carrying (presumably diesel);
How have you planned for water storage?
I really like the 'safari' look of your canvas and wood chairs and table (...are they Melvill and Moon?)
Is that the Hilleberg tent you referred to elsewhere? ('top drawer' as they say and fit for purpose!)
I've been contemplating the StarLink setup and thinking that given its increasing reliability, then using "Voice over IP" with a smart phone, it will ultimately become a " tech disrupter" for Sat phones (maybe that's happening already)
Hope you have a wonderful trip and that the "G" lives up to our collective expectations :)
Looking forward to more despatches from the Red Centre and beyond...
ENJOY!!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That great photo begs a lot of questions!! It's the uncomplicated and 'simple' organised functionality which is immediately obvious and shouts long experience ! (I wish!!!)

I was wondering if you get time are you able to share how you have "packed" for the Simpson trip?
There appears to be no roof rack or roof bar in sight nor any hint of the now "ubiquitous"awning...
From what I can make out the rear seats are still in place so stuff is packed around what's already there... I realise this is in the context of a shake-down run in preparation for your bigger aspirations next year... nevertheless it damned impressive for this relative septuagenarian neophyte 🙄 :ROFLMAO:

I really like the 'safari' look of your canvas and wood chairs and table (...are they Melvill and Moon?)
Is that the Hilleberg tent you referred to elsewhere? ('top drawer' as they say and fit for purpose!)
I've been contemplating the StarLink setup and thinking that given its increasing reliability, then using "Voice over IP" with a smart phone, it will ultimately become a " tech disrupter" for Sat phones (maybe that's happening already)
Hope you have a wonderful trip and that the "G" lives up to our collective expectations :)
ENJOY!!

My setup will likely be not too far off this. I will have a swag which probably will go on roofbars and will have my batwing awning. But other than that a fridge, a box for food and cooking gear, fuel and water, tools and recovery gear.

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:44 AM
Reaction score
Thanks @Steve.B

We’re headed to the French Line via QAA, East-West; after which we’ll carry on through to the west coast.

This is a pretty crucial commissioning trip in prep for the Americas next year.

We’ve been fortunate to have an early delivery. We’ll post photos (thanks StarLink) and look forward to seeing others out here, and on the other big tracks, next season.
Americas?? Well then, we'll have to host you in the Lake Tahoe area of California if you're coming through these parts. Looking forward to following your journey!

Roving.Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:44 AM
Reaction score

I think I can just make out 5 20L cans of fuel??

I have Starlink too, and it is absolutely amazing. Allows for the true definition of "remote work". It's not quite a smart phone disrupter unless you convert your Starlink to a fixed mounted version. The one I am going to do costs about $1000 USD but converts the system from AC power to 12V DC power. They combine the modem and dish into one unit, which is then attached to your roof or hood, wherever there is a magnetic surface. Unique Innovations is the company I am looking at.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Americas?? Well then, we'll have to host you in the Lake Tahoe area of California if you're coming through these parts. Looking forward to following your journey!
Awesome, we love Tahoe - we were just talking about it this morning. Beautiful part of the world!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That great photo begs a lot of questions!! It's the uncomplicated and 'simple' organised functionality
The mild nighttime temps (~20C) do simplify things somewhat.
I was wondering if you get time are you able to share how you have "packed" for the Simpson trip.
As you’ll see it’s a bit of a mess, and less evolved than other outback travellers I’m sure.

We basically pack for three climates (arid/temperate/tropical) + potential adverse weather - more like hikers than tourers as one must contemplate abandoning or losing the vehicle.
Yes, we’re holding out for a Rhino 6FT rack.

We have a Hilleberg tarpaulin and poles so if required I can pop up a shelter as a substitute for an awning.

Basic logic was that it’s going to be too hot to hang out even under an awning, so this is more for emergency use only.

We carry ratchet straps etc so luggage can be transferred to the roof if necessary.
Yes, precisely - objective here is to try out bits of kit before committing to mods.

I’m very interested in what other folks do as we contemplate the next trip.
80L in 4 x jerries in racks that are attached, along with the fridge, to a temporary false floor.
40L in a Pak Offroad footwell tank (see Show us your mods thread) along with a 12L bladder and Katadyne pump filter.

The Katadyne is one of these drink-from-puddles type things so if necessary we can recover water from livestock infrastructure/wells.
They are Fenby chairs from Homecamp (brace yourself) and a (much more reasonably priced) Zempire Kitpac table.
Yes, that’s the interior tent from our Hilleberg… which turns out is excellent for these warm nights out back.
Yes, I think that horse has bolted. Alongside StarLink (perhaps discussed elsewhere) we have a satellite communicator and PLB… and I see my iPhone can also now call the cavalry.

ENJOY!!
Thank you @DenisM! It’s nice to travel vicariously with this new community building around the Gren.

Back
Top Bottom