The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier v. Competition Review

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
You could (rather expensively) order one from Australia and get it shipped?
Yes, but throwing the money away, because the European bumper is a plastic bumper! Luc should buy AND a Grenadier steel bumper AND the bull bar in Australia, because I doubt that Ineos will provide steel bumpers in Europe, even as a spare part!

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:05 PM
Reaction score
You could (rather expensively) order one from Australia and get it shipped?
I'm hoping there will be a domestic aftermarket option from a cost perspective, although I really do like the look of the factory one.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:05 AM
Reaction score
I'm hoping there will be a domestic aftermarket option from a cost perspective, although I really do like the look of the factory one.
I had a look at the factory roo bar, while I have ordered it, it is extremely close to the body work (could only just get a finger in between the bar and the body) so I'm hoping it's really strong. I live in an area with lots of the buggers! Maybe in time there will be a better aftermarket bar available, in the mean time I'll have to have my wits about me! Honestly seeing as they are bolted on it shouldn't be a difficult job.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:05 AM
Reaction score
Yes, but throwing the money away, because the European bumper is a plastic bumper! Luc should buy AND a Grenadier steel bumper AND the bull bar in Australia, because I doubt that Ineos will provide steel bumpers in Europe, even as a spare part!
I'm going to guess the bullbar mounts through the bumper and is fastened to the rear of the detachable front cross member:

Screenshot_20210217_064440_com.google.android.youtube.jpg

Which rather looks like a flush mount bumper in it's own right...just tell everyone you spent extra to get the lightweight rally spec one, ala Bowler:
da1372-bowler-lightweight-defender-front-bumper-road-spec-in-graphite.jpg

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm going to guess the bullbar mounts through the bumper and is fastened to the rear of the detachable front cross member:

View attachment 7801329

Which rather looks like a flush mount bumper in it's own right...
It's bolted (X2 on either side) through the bumper, not sure if that pic is a prototype?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Attachments

• 313177552_10162525084303973_1500208295055807937_n.jpg
    313177552_10162525084303973_1500208295055807937_n.jpg
    118.5 KB · Views: 33

Hannes01

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:05 AM
Reaction score
plastic bumper? 😳
no one told me! 😤😢

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
8:05 PM
Reaction score
Thus far it’s an Australian spec option. The UK/Euro spec trucks do not have the option because of pedestrian safety measures. I’m hoping we will be able to get our hands on them in the US.

This is actually a great example of something that a community like this could do a "group buy" for (as per this thread); https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/group-buys.12358789/#post-1333133511

We could link up with one of our Aussie members and get them to help coordinate with an Australian Ineos dealer who can ship 10-20 (enough for whoever wants one) to LA or Vancouver or something, and then re-ship them from there. Actually going through Vancouver or Seattle would be ideal, and I would volunteer to help with this so that folks in US and Canada can get the bull bar. I'm happy to be the facilitator on the Canadian side of this when the time comes but I'll post that up in that other thread.

I'm wondering if we know who made the bullbar? Because it's either the Ineos one for me - which looks fantastic - or waiting for ARB to release one. The only other bull bar I would personally consider would be an aluminum one for the weight savings, but I imagine that will be further down the road before one is released.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:05 PM
Reaction score
This is actually a great example of something that a community like this could do a "group buy" for (as per this thread); https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/group-buys.12358789/#post-1333133511

We could link up with one of our Aussie members and get them to help coordinate with an Australian Ineos dealer who can ship 10-20 (enough for whoever wants one) to LA or Vancouver or something, and then re-ship them from there. Actually going through Vancouver or Seattle would be ideal, and I would volunteer to help with this so that folks in US and Canada can get the bull bar. I'm happy to be the facilitator on the Canadian side of this when the time comes but I'll post that up in that other thread.

I'm wondering if we know who made the bullbar? Because it's either the Ineos one for me - which looks fantastic - or waiting for ARB to release one. The only other bull bar I would personally consider would be an aluminum one for the weight savings, but I imagine that will be further down the road before one is released.
Not sure about the US but in Australia the importer is responsible for the warranty and taxes/import duties.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Not sure about the US but in Australia the importer is responsible for the warranty and taxes/import duties.

For sure - the ones I've done in the past have been a straight-math split, for example the Gobi rack I got for my JK back in the day: Because we were ordering 17 of them, Gobi gave us a very good deal and drop-shipped all 17 to the US border. One fella with a big trailer volunteered to go pick them up; we figured out the cost of his gas and hotel etc. as well as any duty that he would have to pay to cross the border. By the end of the day, we had a total bill of something like $20k for 17 Gobi racks delivered to Alberta. With those numbers, each of us had to pay about $1175 each for a roof rack that was over $1900 from the next-best supplier. So, long story short, we informally took care of taxes and import duties as a group and one trusted group member held everyone's funds "in trust" until we got delivery of the racks.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
For sure - the ones I've done in the past have been a straight-math split, for example the Gobi rack I got for my JK back in the day: Because we were ordering 17 of them, Gobi gave us a very good deal and drop-shipped all 17 to the US border. One fella with a big trailer volunteered to go pick them up; we figured out the cost of his gas and hotel etc. as well as any duty that he would have to pay to cross the border. By the end of the day, we had a total bill of something like $20k for 17 Gobi racks delivered to Alberta. With those numbers, each of us had to pay about $1175 each for a roof rack that was over $1900 from the next-best supplier. So, long story short, we informally took care of taxes and import duties as a group and one trusted group member held everyone's funds "in trust" until we got delivery of the racks.
That's good but then you have no warranty on the product and also your insurance company may refuse to cover it, anything on it and even your vehicle in an accident.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
That's good but then you have no warranty on the product and also your insurance company may refuse to cover it, anything on it and even your vehicle in an accident.

I think you are correct; I'm a bit disillusioned by both of those things (Warranty and insurance!) so they aren't my highest priority, but that might be a deal breaker for some folks for sure!

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

As the dealers here aren’t actually dealers, they are agents and stock is owned by INEOS they probably can’t give discounts for bulk purchases. Probably your only saving may be on a bulk freight deal.

ChasingOurTrunks

Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Australian review comparing Grenadier to 6 competitors sold in Australia.

Aside from being the best vehicle - the review demonstrates how well priced the Grenadier is in Australia.

$200k for a 70-series :oops::oops::oops: and more than that for a 200-series :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

The Grenadier at $100k is a steal with numbers like that.

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
$200k for a 70-series :oops::oops::oops: and more than that for a 200-series :oops::oops::oops::oops::oops::oops:

The Grenadier at $100k is a steal with numbers like that.
It really is, people keep saying you can get a 70 series for $75k, but nobody keeps a 70 series stock if you want the rear track correction and add the 6 speed auto box aftermarket you are already well over $100k. I specced a New Defender with 2 tone paint, rear e locker the offroad and towing packages and a sunroof and it was over $160k with a 12-18 month wait and no guarantee of fixed price. My fully specced Grenadier with 90% of options ticked (really only not getting any roofrack stuff except bars) is $126 (early bird) and the Defender still doesn’t have the winch, electrical
Prep, front locker, second battery, winch, bullbar, side rails, brush bars, roof bars etc.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It really is, people keep saying you can get a 70 series for $75k, but nobody keeps a 70 series stock if you want the rear track correction and add the 6 speed auto box aftermarket you are already well over $100k. I specced a New Defender with 2 tone paint, rear e locker the offroad and towing packages and a sunroof and it was over $160k with a 12-18 month wait and no guarantee of fixed price. My fully specced Grenadier with 90% of options ticked (really only not getting any roofrack stuff except bars) is $126 (early bird) and the Defender still doesn’t have the winch, electrical
Prep, front locker, second battery, winch, bullbar, side rails, brush bars, roof bars etc.
I started with the Fieldmaster because I often need to pick up international and local business visitors and customers from airport or hotel and take them to meetings or functions.
Sometimes in a suit and bow tie.
I can put the carpet mats in, nice gray & black leather seats, wash and polish the vehicle and away we go with a luxury SUV
Then on the weekends or when visiting mine sites the mats come out and get replaced with the rubber ones, and no need to worry about mud or junk in the back.
Hose the vehicle out, wash the outside and we are back to a smart looking luxury vehicle.

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Warranty and Insurance but don't forget safety and when fitting bars to bumpers are we changing the dynamics of the airbag sensors? I am not a tech in this department but if you create a crumple zone different from factory specs there may be an issue.

AZGrenadier

Global Grenadier #0031
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
I don't think this would be the case in the US. You are correct in the fact that you won't have a warranty but I do believe that insurance would cover it. I have a friend who is an adjuster, he says they cover stupid but not fraud. So if you plan on the rack failing and purposely overload it expecting it to fail then that is fraud. If you expect the rack to hold then they will cover.

Back
Top Bottom