The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier remap (flashing)

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score
I don't want to remap it just turn off the annoying DRLs and the dangerous start stop feature,
I assume you mean daytime running lightd by DRL? Whats wrong with them? You don’t see them when you are driving and it’s a pretty basic and good safety feature in a vehicle that has less safety features than the average. I believe offroad mode turns off the start stop, along with proximity sensor and seatbelt warnings so if you aren’t worried about those maybe just put it in offroad mode everytime you get in.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
I assume you mean daytime running lightd by DRL? Whats wrong with them? You don’t see them when you are driving and it’s a pretty basic and good safety feature in a vehicle that has less safety features than the average. I believe offroad mode turns off the start stop, along with proximity sensor and seatbelt warnings so if you aren’t worried about those maybe just put it in offroad mode everytime you get in.
Off road mode deactivates itself at a certain speed (70 or 80 km/h?)

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
DRL's in my case would alert quarry to your presence - not handy. You don't need them for safety off-road. However I'm a big fan of them on-road, Volvo had them for decades + invented the seat-belt....well done them.

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DRL's in my case would alert quarry to your presence - not handy. You don't need them for safety off-road. However I'm a big fan of them on-road, Volvo had them for decades + invented the seat-belt....well done them.
I like the idea of driving without any light as well. There are circumstances where I want to sneak in and out...

Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
My two cents on remapping ("flashing") the B58; these are just my own personal ideas, and other folk will have different ideas.

I wouldn't touch the ECU for the first five years of ownership, while the vehicle is under warranty - either in pursuit of more power or greater fuel economy. No one knows how Ineos is going to treat warranty claims. As @Halliwell Jones Chester said, a service center can tell if a vehicle has been flashed, even if it is returned to the stock tune prior to being brought in for service. That is too big a gamble for me.

The vehicle has been tuned by the factory for longevity and reliability, which is one of its main selling points for me (and - I think - many others who have followed its inception). I don't want to mess with that.

The B58 in the Grenadier makes 332 lb. ft. of torque (despite being capable of much higher output). The 8HP51 version of the ZF transmission that is paired with the B58 has a max-torque rating of 369 lb. ft. of torque. That is just 10% higher than the existing engine output. That leaves very little headroom for tuning up the output of the B58, while staying within ZF's specifications. I cannot imagine either Ineos or ZF recognizing a warranty claim for any damage to the power train if a tune crosses that threshold. We are talking about any trouble at all with the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, joints, axles, exhaust, etc. While it is commonly understood that the 8HP51 is a strong unit, and is probably capable of handling more than 369 lb. ft. of torque, if you flash the ECU, you may be completely on your own with repairs to many of the major systems in the vehicle. Some Toyota Supra and BMW owners (who also have a B58 and an 8HP51) are chasing more power, and this has led to a market for upgrades to the 8HP51, so that it can safely handle added power. A Stage 1 upgrade to the 8HP51 starts at $6,000 (US), bringing its torque capacity up to 850 lb. ft. (and its horsepower rating up to 1000 HP).

I would consider flashing the ECU and upgrading the transmission if the following two conditions were met: (1) 5 years of ownership have passed and I still love the vehicle, but (2) I am frustrated by the engine output. I'm not suggesting I will be frustrated by the engine output (I might be perfectly happy with the engine output - I don't know - I've never driven the Grenadier), I'm just specifying the conditions that would be required for me to consider a remap.

klarie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My two cents on remapping ("flashing") the B58; these are just my own personal ideas, and other folk will have different ideas.

I wouldn't touch the ECU for the first five years of ownership, while the vehicle is under warranty - either in pursuit of more power or greater fuel economy. No one knows how Ineos is going to treat warranty claims. As @Halliwell Jones Chester said, a service center can tell if a vehicle has been flashed, even if it is returned to the stock tune prior to being brought in for service. That is too big a gamble for me.

The vehicle has been tuned by the factory for longevity and reliability, which is one of its main selling points for me (and - I think - many others who have followed its inception). I don't want to mess with that.

The B58 in the Grenadier makes 332 lb. ft. of torque (despite being capable of much higher output). The 8HP51 version of the ZF transmission that is paired with the B58 has a max-torque rating of 369 lb. ft. of torque. That is just 10% higher than the existing engine output. That leaves very little headroom for tuning up the output of the B58, while staying within ZF's specifications. I cannot imagine either Ineos or ZF recognizing a warranty claim for any damage to the power train if a tune crosses that threshold. We are talking about any trouble at all with the engine, transmission, transfer case, drive shafts, joints, axles, exhaust, etc. While it is commonly understood that the 8HP51 is a strong unit, and is probably capable of handling more than 369 lb. ft. of torque, if you flash the ECU, you may be completely on your own with repairs to many of the major systems in the vehicle. Some Toyota Supra and BMW owners (who also have a B58 and an 8HP51) are chasing more power, and this has led to a market for upgrades to the 8HP51, so that it can safely handle added power. A Stage 1 upgrade to the 8HP51 starts at $6,000 (US), bringing its torque capacity up to 850 lb. ft. (and its horsepower rating up to 1000 HP).

I would consider flashing the ECU and upgrading the transmission if the following two conditions were met: (1) 5 years of ownership have passed and I still love the vehicle, but (2) I am frustrated by the engine output. I'm not suggesting I will be frustrated by the engine output (I might be perfectly happy with the engine output - I don't know - I've never driven the Grenadier), I'm just specifying the conditions that would be required for me to consider a remap.
considerable thinking. In Germany - such changes reflect the Permission to Operate. - This means in case of accident.. the vehicle looses insurance cover and also permission to be driven in public. Except this change has an approval - updated papers and also emissions and other tax stuff apply as well as a bunch of fees..
Some are most certainly out there - and obey 11th commandment "do not get caught"
Recently I read some news.. police seized a BMW put to 800 HP illegal.
So if you count the gain against odds and legal stuff.. need a well balanced decision. - So test it.. as is - and do what works out for you best. (y)

DDG

Local time
10:32 AM
Reaction score
The vehicle has been tuned by the factory for longevity and reliability, which is one of its main selling points for me
This sums it up for me. Anyone can add horsepower and shorten the lifespan of their vehicle. The B58 happens to be one of the best supported and responsive “tuner engines” you could possibly buy. It makes me feel warm and fuzzy that the potential is there, but I do not intend to tap into that.

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
10:32 AM
Reaction score
DSD do seem to know their stuff around the VW engines and getting the most out of them.

They have also done some hardcore stuff to a Yeti for off roading.

Back
Top Bottom