The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Grenadier on the Canning stock route

Local time
10:45 PM
Reaction score
Just finished the southern half of the Canning stick route with the Grenadier. Longest adventure yet with the vehicle and camper in tow. Over 3000km to reach the start of the track. 9 days to complete the next 1100km off road with an average speed of 25km/hr. Unfortunately not able to complete the northern half as planned due to flooding. Some were cutting new tracks to exit but the local communities were asking people not to do this. Will post some more updates and details when we get to civilisation proper but still have to head down to Finke, then the flinders before returning to Victoria. So far the Grenadier has been fantastic! One zip tie has been the only spare required (but carrying a lot more).

Attachments

• 825AF839-2DAD-467B-B8FE-6924DF8942E2.jpeg
    825AF839-2DAD-467B-B8FE-6924DF8942E2.jpeg
    4 MB · Views: 126
  • 3D88F032-0A0C-4B34-8302-D4559CD6778E.jpeg
    3D88F032-0A0C-4B34-8302-D4559CD6778E.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 126
  • 5527B391-6BF6-446E-9C08-8E28A0632988.jpeg
    5527B391-6BF6-446E-9C08-8E28A0632988.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 122
  • 67CAE7AB-711A-472A-A1B2-32BE66C5EC97.jpeg
    67CAE7AB-711A-472A-A1B2-32BE66C5EC97.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 118
  • D1EC2450-5BE3-490C-8FBE-C1F50F329230.jpeg
    D1EC2450-5BE3-490C-8FBE-C1F50F329230.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 117
  • B9A63634-A280-4CB5-A829-11BD60FA8111.jpeg
    B9A63634-A280-4CB5-A829-11BD60FA8111.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 118
  • CA2D4869-C061-4D23-8569-96A1B8E3593D.jpeg
    CA2D4869-C061-4D23-8569-96A1B8E3593D.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 127

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
Good for you, looks like an epic trip. Shame that the Northern half is flooded out though, there seems to be quite a bit of flooding in Aus recently.

Reactions: PBD

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:45 PM
Reaction score
Awesome. I’m looking a forward to hearing more, particularly on the fuel side ie consumption consumption, amount of extra fuel carried and how you carried it.

Finally how heavy was your trailer and did you have any difficulty towing it on the track.

Cheers
Steve

Local time
Reaction score
Awesome. I’m looking a forward to hearing more, particularly on the fuel side ie consumption consumption, amount of extra fuel carried and how you carried it.

Finally how heavy was your trailer and did you have any difficulty towing it on the track.

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve, sorry for the delay. Just got home yesterday.

A bit more detail on the setup, fuel consumption etc. the Grenadier is a largely mechanically standard Trialmaster with most off-road options fitted. I wanted it keep it fairly standard in case I had any warranty issues. I had fitted some auxiliary exterior lighting, some drifts drawers with a CFX3 47 litre fridge, a Brown Davis aux fuel tank and some airbag man helper bags with Kevlar liners.

I had some trepidation regarding the factory duel battery system as it is different than how I have wired up my previous electrical systems but for this purpose it worked perfectly. I was travelling most days with a few 2 day stops. It charged to 96-99% after a few hours driving and after 2 days running the fridge and some lighting the lowest I saw was 84%.

Weight was an issue with a family of 4 on board and we had a patriot X1 camper. This allowed us to pack all food water and most heavy tools in the camper which weighted just under 1400kg fully loaded with a ball weight of 95kg. Even so my legality with regards to gvm depended on what I had for breakfast that day…

We carried a total of 220L diesel and my friend I was travelling with carried a further 20L for us. The southern half of the track is just over 1000km but with some side tracks we covered 1100km. Average fuel consumption was 18.2L/100 with a best day of 15.3 and worst of 19.6. Keeping in mind we were nearly 5 tonnes GCM and a lot more mud than we anticipated I was pretty happy with this. For the whole trip we averaged 17.1L/100km over 8600km with over 4000km of this on dirt/sand.

The Brown Davis tank was key to this type of remote travelling for my. It enabled us to keep the fuel weight down, utilise high flow truck pumps without an adapter and solved the issue I have had in sandy overgrown tracks of debris collecting between the muffler and the rear bash guard. it was surprisingly quieter than I thought with no drone at highway speeds. Most of the time you would have no idea the car had a muffler delete.

The airbags were added to deal with the towball mass ‘porpoise’ that can be encountered on chewed up sandy tracks and was great maintaining a factory ride comfort with the ability to manage the extra weight off-road.

My wife has been a huge grenadier sceptic but after this trip is happy to admit this is the most comfortable and capable tourer we have had. Keeping in mind we have been travelling for a couple of months a year for 16 years now with multiple different camping configurations and vehicles.

Casualties consisted of the lock for the wheel mounted bin which disassembled itself on day one of the stick route and was replaced with hay band, and a plastic cup which secured the transfer case cable and was fixed with a zip tie.
We did have a small amount of dust ingress at the rear door which has been traced to an undersized rubber seal. Otherwise we didn’t get stuck in a single dune, no warning lights or electrical gremlins, had plenty of power for climbing dunes or overtaking road trains.

I did have to field plenty of questions from interested travellers and my answer was always ‘I’ll let you know in 5 years after a few more of these trips’. It has been a very promising start though. Now I just need to book in my 30k service so I can get up to drive in some snow whist it’s still here!

Christian

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

A bit more detail on the setup, fuel consumption etc. the Grenadier is a largely mechanically standard Trialmaster with most off-road options fitted. I wanted it keep it fairly standard in case I had any warranty issues. I had fitted some auxiliary exterior lighting, some drifts drawers with a CFX3 47 litre fridge, a Brown Davis aux fuel tank and some airbag man helper bags with Kevlar liners.

I had some trepidation regarding the factory duel battery system as it is different than how I have wired up my previous electrical systems but for this purpose it worked perfectly. I was travelling most days with a few 2 day stops. It charged to 96-99% after a few hours driving and after 2 days running the fridge and some lighting the lowest I saw was 84%.

Weight was an issue with a family of 4 on board and we had a patriot X1 camper. This allowed us to pack all food water and most heavy tools in the camper which weighted just under 1400kg fully loaded with a ball weight of 95kg. Even so my legality with regards to gvm depended on what I had for breakfast that day…

We carried a total of 220L diesel and my friend I was travelling with carried a further 20L for us. The southern half of the track is just over 1000km but with some side tracks we covered 1100km. Average fuel consumption was 18.2L/100 with a best day of 15.3 and worst of 19.6. Keeping in mind we were nearly 5 tonnes GCM and a lot more mud than we anticipated I was pretty happy with this. For the whole trip we averaged 17.1L/100km over 8600km with over 4000km of this on dirt/sand.

The Brown Davis tank was key to this type of remote travelling for my. It enabled us to keep the fuel weight down, utilise high flow truck pumps without an adapter and solved the issue I have had in sandy overgrown tracks of debris collecting between the muffler and the rear bash guard. it was surprisingly quieter than I thought with no drone at highway speeds. Most of the time you would have no idea the car had a muffler delete.

The airbags were added to deal with the towball mass ‘porpoise’ that can be encountered on chewed up sandy tracks and was great maintaining a factory ride comfort with the ability to manage the extra weight off-road.

My wife has been a huge grenadier sceptic but after this trip is happy to admit this is the most comfortable and capable tourer we have had. Keeping in mind we have been travelling for a couple of months a year for 16 years now with multiple different camping configurations and vehicles.

Casualties consisted of the lock for the wheel mounted bin which disassembled itself on day one of the stick route and was replaced with hay band, and a plastic cup which secured the transfer case cable and was fixed with a zip tie.
We did have a small amount of dust ingress at the rear door which has been traced to an undersized rubber seal. Otherwise we didn’t get stuck in a single dune, no warning lights or electrical gremlins, had plenty of power for climbing dunes or overtaking road trains.

I did have to field plenty of questions from interested travellers and my answer was always ‘I’ll let you know in 5 years after a few more of these trips’. It has been a very promising start though. Now I just need to book in my 30k service so I can get up to drive in some snow whist it’s still here!

Christian
Hi Christian

No apologies needed, That's an awesome reply with lots of good info. Thanks so much for taking the time to write it.

I tow a camper trailer as well but a bit heavier @ 1.9t fully loaded. As I'm currently travelling solo combined weights will be similar so your fuel consumption figures will be most useful for my trip planning. Yop0u're doing very well with the battery SOC. I'm struggling to get above 80% most days. Finally good to hear that you has almost zilch mechanical issues. The canning stock route can be very hard on cars.

Thanks again and happy travels.

Cheers
Steve

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just finished the southern half of the Canning stick route with the Grenadier. Longest adventure yet with the vehicle and camper in tow. Over 3000km to reach the start of the track. 9 days to complete the next 1100km off road with an average speed of 25km/hr. Unfortunately not able to complete the northern half as planned due to flooding. Some were cutting new tracks to exit but the local communities were asking people not to do this. Will post some more updates and details when we get to civilization proper but still have to head down to Finke, then the flinders before returning to Victoria. So far the Grenadier has been fantastic! One zip tie has been the only spare required (but carrying a lot more).
Well done - looks awesome and on my bucket list once I get the extended range fuel tank fitted.
Where did you get the air bags fitted and what brand?

Snipewench

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The CSR fascinates me, ever since I heard about it's existence and (in days past) having fuel to be pre-organised and trucked into a spot on the track. It's great to know that a Gren conquered it, without any major issues. Would love to get out there one day to experience the two week trip for myself!

Local time
Reaction score
Well done - looks awesome and on my bucket list once I get the extended range fuel tank fitted.
Where did you get the air bags fitted and what brand?
I got airbag man airbags. They have a specific kit for the grenadier. Fitted by opposite lock and all in cost around $800 including the Kevlar liners. Mine are manually adjustable and I tend to ‘set and forget’ them one loaded. You can option an in cab inflation kit for them.

Local time
1:45 PM
Reaction score

Christian
The rear for seal on 24y models iii different the seal on the vehicle is different.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got airbag man airbags. They have a specific kit for the grenadier. Fitted by opposite lock and all in cost around $800 including the Kevlar liners. Mine are manually adjustable and I tend to ‘set and forget’ them one loaded. You can option an in cab inflation kit for them.
For reference, the Airbag man Grenadier kit with liners is part number CR5177HP (advised by Nathan at Airbag man).

Back
Top Bottom