The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

GPS and external antenna

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:49 PM
Reaction score
I’m thinking about getting the Garmin Tread and mounting it to the Owl accessory rail (picture attached). HOWEVER, since it wouldn’t be on the dash, I’m wondering if this would weaken either the GPS or InReach performance, and whether I need to get external signal boosters (also picture attached). Owl tech support says they don’t need the external antennae, but would be curious to hear from you guys. And if you did add it, where did/would you run the cables? If I use that accessory rail, the Tread is right in the middle of the control panel, so I would need a clean routing solution to run the lines out.

Attachments

• IMG_5353.png
    IMG_5353.png
    3 MB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5354.png
    IMG_5354.png
    683.8 KB · Views: 48

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:49 AM
Reaction score
Can you MacGyver the Garmin into the location with some tape and do a quick test, before committing?

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I haven’t purchased it, yet. I THINK I’ll just take it in steps - get the Tread, see how it works, add the rail (can always use it for other stuff, like my iPhone), and then deal with it if necessary. Kind of a “mañana” sequence. The fact that you just said “MacGyver it” increases your cool factor by 3, if that’s even humanly possible.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I haven’t purchased it, yet. I THINK I’ll just take it in steps - get the Tread, see how it works, add the rail (can always use it for other stuff, like my iPhone), and then deal with it if necessary. Kind of a “mañana” sequence. The fact that you just said “MacGyver it” increases your cool factor by 3, if that’s even humanly possible.
I have had to MacGyver it a few times when remote, nothing huge like broken shocks.

Last edited:

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:49 PM
Reaction score
I already have a Garmin Treag 8“ and it is mounted in the same position you plan and the performance of the signals are good.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I already have a Garmin Treag 8“ and it is mounted in the same position you plan and the performance of the signals are good.
That’s good to know - that’s what Owl told me. But now I’m realizing it has to be connected to a 12v power supply with a round “cigarette” adapter. Where did you wire your unit? I’m away on business so am not able to get in and look - the only one I can think of is in the cargo area. I think the console only has USB 2.0 and USB-C, but I can’t remember.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:49 PM
Reaction score
That’s good to know - that’s what Owl told me. But now I’m realizing it has to be connected to a 12v power supply with a round “cigarette” adapter. Where did you wire your unit? I’m away on business so am not able to get in and look - the only one I can think of is in the cargo area. I think the console only has USB 2.0 and USB-C, but I can’t remember.
Cut the cig adapter off and go straight to any 12v sources like either of the INT switches

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Cut the cig adapter off and go straight to any 12v sources like either of the INT switches
The lines under the door trim, and just have it hard-wired in? That’s one area I wished they would have thought through a little better - not sure why they were Scrooges on power ports inside when they gave us all the goodies out on the roof.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The lines under the door trim, and just have it hard-wired in? That’s one area I wished they would have thought through a little better - not sure why they were Scrooges on power ports inside when they gave us all the goodies out on the roof.
Yep, or anywhere else that you can pull about 25W from

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, or anywhere else that you can pull about 25W from
great - I will have to do this later. I can tell I have hit my wife’s absolute limit messing around with the Grenadier - she is starting to give me that steely glare when I say “I’m just going out to the garage to do blah with the Grenadier.” I’ll build the emotional reservoir back up and then sneak out to mess around with it.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
great - I will have to do this later. I can tell I have hit my wife’s absolute limit messing around with the Grenadier - she is starting to give me that steely glare when I say “I’m just going out to the garage to do blah with the Grenadier.” I’ll build the emotional reservoir back up and then sneak out to mess around with it.
😉.... a man has to have a purpose in his life!

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DO NOT CUT the cigarette adapter off. There‘s a circuit in to adapt the voltage to the reqiured 5V of the Tread. I talked to the guys from Garmin at the Abenteuer & Allrad in Bad Kissiung and the said I should use the Garmin high voltage adaptor. https://www.garmin.com/de-DE/p/738590/pn/010-13087-01
This one you can connect to the power outlet in the footwell.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
DO NOT CUT the cigarette adapter off. There‘s a circuit in to adapt the voltage to the reqiured 5V of the Tread. I talked to the guys from Garmin at the Abenteuer & Allrad in Bad Kissiung and the said I should use the Garmin high voltage adaptor. https://www.garmin.com/de-DE/p/738590/pn/010-13087-01
Wait - which power adapter in the footwell? I’m away from home on business - can you send a picture? I don’t think I recall ever seeing that. But, I’m definitely not the sharpest pencil in the box, as most those who know me will attest.

Pat-Ard

Global Grenadier #00520
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you have the extended switches in the roof panel named INT and EXT? If so, there are poweroutlets in bothe front footwells, which are powered via the switches in the roof. You just need to connect the high current adaptor to one of those cabels and voila…

Take a look here: https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/deutsch-dtp-plugs.12411784/
or here: https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/where-is-the-front-auxiliary-power-point.12412953/
Yeah I do - I’ll have to get in there with a flashlight and see where those outlets are located. I can’t recall seeing them before. I’ll get back to Chicago on Thursday- actually left my Grenadier with the dealer to see if they can fix the back door handle, so I’ll ask them to point out where these are. Thanks for the tip!

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Do you have the extended switches in the roof panel named INT and EXT? If so, there are poweroutlets in bothe front footwells, which are powered via the switches in the roof. You just need to connect the high current adaptor to one of those cabels and voila…

Take a look here: https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/deutsch-dtp-plugs.12411784/
or here: https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/where-is-the-front-auxiliary-power-point.12412953/
Sorry - just looked at the link video - Anand had pointed out the same video to me. I thought you meant there were actual outlets in the footwell, rather than just the wire access points behind the trim. I see what you mean now.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The adapter you have referenced outputs 12v, not 5v according to this image of it
1723631759728.png
While the Tread has a USB port for charging on the side, when docked in the magnetic mount, it accepts 12v @ 3A

It's been almost 2 years since I last installed a Tread, I'll confirm later today, but if I recall correctly, I felt it was absurd to buy a $50 cable when it just needed 12v in. I'm vaguely remembering that it's sold because they use a loose/wrapped negative wire around a sheathed positive (similar to how the WeBoost is, who also sells an adapter cable for hard wiring, but accepts 12v in), which worries some people when it comes to electrical connections

Back
Top Bottom