The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread Fridge slide on plywood base

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:49 PM
Reaction score
I was looking hard at replacing the factory rubber/plastic floor with a goose gear base platform, which you can attach a fridge slide and drawers to and such. But I really like the plastic/rubber floor that comes with the grenadier especially when moving dirt, plants and other things like that. It’s very easy to clean and if you need a big flat surface for moving things it’s great.

But for camping I really would like to have my Engle fridge on a slide which requires a strong plywood base to secure it to.

I thought I would experiment with a removable plywood base that lays overtop of the factory floor.

I went to the home store and had them cut a piece of cabinet grade 1/2” plywood 31” x 39.5”.

I ordered some bolts that fit in the Airline L-Track in the grenadier, then drilled some holes in the plywood and mounted to the L-track. I wedged in little pieces of foam under the bolts so they “spring” upwards and make it easier to align everything when placing the plywood.

My slide-it solutions slide is on order for the Engle fridge….I like the slide-It solutions slide because the feet of the Engle fridge just secure / snap, you won’t need straps and when the fridge is not installed it’s a flat surface that you can stack things on top of. It will be interesting to see how it works out, it does not have bearings.

I think the 1/2” plywood base should suffice strength-wise. I could move to 3/4 inch plywood but I think this can work. We shall see. I may double up the plywood on the far left and cut holes so it exposes the bolts, and allows for the slide to fit over top of the bolts securing the ply, vs inward of the bolts towards the center of the load space. I’ll use t-bolts hammered into the underside of the plywood to mount the fridge slide.

Once it’s all setup and I’m satisfied I’ll carpet it. I’d like to find a standalone single drawer for a reasonable price that I could mount next to the fridge. Yakima seem
To have something that could be adapted perhaps.

Outward of the t-tracks I putt a little bit of foam under the plywood to try and level it out a little. The center of the factory load space longer has little high spots but these are not present on the outer part of the floor.

If anyone has any advice or has already done this and would like to share your learnings I’m all ears.

Attachments

• IMG_1920.jpeg
    IMG_1920.jpeg
    488.2 KB · Views: 80
  • IMG_1940.jpeg
    IMG_1940.jpeg
    366.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_1944.jpeg
    IMG_1944.jpeg
    314 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_1936.jpeg
    IMG_1936.jpeg
    414.2 KB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1934.jpeg
    IMG_1934.jpeg
    315.5 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1933.jpeg
    IMG_1933.jpeg
    283.3 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1925.jpeg
    IMG_1925.jpeg
    405.7 KB · Views: 69
  • IMG_1922.jpeg
    IMG_1922.jpeg
    358.8 KB · Views: 70
  • IMG_1946.jpeg
    IMG_1946.jpeg
    160.8 KB · Views: 68
  • IMG_1951.jpeg
    IMG_1951.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 71
  • IMG_1950.jpeg
    IMG_1950.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
This looks like a good solution. I too plan to use the same fridge and slide. I was considering two metal bars spanning the two aircraft rails (may still do this).

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
All done. Happy with the end product. I used some car stereo subwoofer carpet to cover it. It came with some sticky glue already applied.

1/2” works out fine. I’m going to put some more bolts next to the fridge and then fix some tie-down rings and out plastic caps on the bolts. Perhaps. We’ll see. Plastic covers on the bolts for sure.

I like this setup. It’s fast to remove it, just zip off 8 bolts with the drill and a socket.

Attachments

• IMG_2017.jpeg
    IMG_2017.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2014.jpeg
    IMG_2014.jpeg
    371.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2013.jpeg
    IMG_2013.jpeg
    319.9 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_2010.jpeg
    IMG_2010.jpeg
    435.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_2008.jpeg
    IMG_2008.jpeg
    460.4 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_2007.jpeg
    IMG_2007.jpeg
    359.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2003.jpeg
    IMG_2003.jpeg
    339.2 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_2004.jpeg
    IMG_2004.jpeg
    231 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_2006.jpeg
    IMG_2006.jpeg
    272.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2018.jpeg
    IMG_2018.jpeg
    245.9 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_2001.jpeg
    IMG_2001.jpeg
    684.6 KB · Views: 41

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looks great!

Do you feel the wood will be durable enough for a full fridge through rough corrugations and off-camber angles?

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Looks great!

Do you feel the wood will be durable enough for a full fridge through rough corrugations and off-camber angles?
I believe so. Time will tell.

It’s most certainly solid when locked in place when in transport mode. I have no concerns there.

I’ve used the Engle slide lock in the past and the fixing points are rock solid. I like the system which is why I sourced this slide over traditional tie-down versions. And it’s engineered for Engle and made in Australia. The Aussie’s know what they are doing when it comes to overlanding :)

The 1/2” ply flexes slightly when the slide is fully extended - maybe 1/4” max on the backside since it is only tied down on the perimeter via the airline rails that come with the grenadier. But nothing I am concerned about whatsoever.

The Slide-It solutions slide is not a full extension slide and does not put as much leverage on the plywood base as compared to full extension slides on ball bearings. It extends maybe 3/4 vs full. In hindsight I should have ordered the more expensive tilting version which would have been more convenient. But sometimes simple is good as well.

This slide has no ball bearings. There is a plastic insert that it glides upon. I like it. Very simple engineering. Very, very high quality slide - very well engineered and put together for $300. Quality / Value for sure.

Ex-defender driver

Forum Donor
Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
All done. Happy with the end product. I used some car stereo subwoofer carpet to cover it. It came with some sticky glue already applied.

1/2” works out fine. I’m going to put some more bolts next to the fridge and then fix some tie-down rings and out plastic caps on the bolts. Perhaps. We’ll see. Plastic covers on the bolts for sure.

I like this setup. It’s fast to remove it, just zip off 8 bolts with the drill and a socket.
I like your set up… Have been trying to figure out a way of having things removable like yours. Very good.
Can i ask where the side organiser compartments / barriers in the back come from? Did you make these or are they bought? I like them a lot. Would like to get a pair.
Thanks
Richard

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The ones over the wheel wells can be purchased on eBay or Amazon.

I got mine from Amazon.. $300 a piece. They are pricy, but fit great!

Overland gear guy makes custom storage bags for them too.

Storage bins:

Bags that go inside:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 0076
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got mine on Amazon but only did the passenger/right side. It was silly expensive but quality seems decent and it makes usable space over that dumb wheel arch design.

Ex-defender driver

Forum Donor
Local time
11:49 AM
Reaction score
The ones over the wheel wells can be purchased on eBay or Amazon.

I got mine from Amazon.. $300 a piece. They are pricy, but fit great!

Overland gear guy makes custom storage bags for them too.

Storage bins:

Bags that go inside:
Brilliant. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom