The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

First world problem...I want to go to the drive in movies and listen on the radio.

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:55 PM
Reaction score
Hi all
I want to take my Grenadier on a road trip to the drive in.

As a background to this discussion, there is a showing of "Blazing Saddles" at the local drive in cinema (about an hour out of Townsville) tonight. 50 years since it was made, apparently. Now I feel old.
I am classified as a (just snuck in) Baby Boomer, fondly remember watching this with my parents (10 years after it came out), and laughing hysterically.
I have a 16 year old son, who expresses horror at my occasional culturally inappropriate commentary.
In order to educate him, I showed him a couple of clips from it. He is very intrigued.
He's also swayed by the thought of a hamburger and chips for dinner whilst Mum is away, so there's that.

So.....here's my question.

I want to have the movie sound through the FM radio (instead of the hang in the window speaker)
But there is no accessories position in the ignition key, as far as I can tell anyway.
How do I get the radio to stay on for a couple of hours?
I know it stays on until the door is opened (the key is out and it's turned off at this stage.)
Anyone?
Just thought I'd ask.
If nothing else, I will report back tomorrow.

Braydo

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi all
I want to take my Grenadier on a road trip to the drive in.

As a background to this discussion, there is a showing of "Blazing Saddles" at the local drive in cinema (about an hour out of Townsville) tonight. 50 years since it was made, apparently. Now I feel old.
I am classified as a (just snuck in) Baby Boomer, fondly remember watching this with my parents (10 years after it came out), and laughing hysterically.
I have a 16 year old son, who expresses horror at my occasional culturally inappropriate commentary.
In order to educate him, I showed him a couple of clips from it. He is very intrigued.
He's also swayed by the thought of a hamburger and chips for dinner whilst Mum is away, so there's that.

So.....here's my question.

I want to have the movie sound through the FM radio (instead of the hang in the window speaker)
But there is no accessories position in the ignition key, as far as I can tell anyway.
How do I get the radio to stay on for a couple of hours?
I know it stays on until the door is opened (the key is out and it's turned off at this stage.)
Anyone?
Just thought I'd ask.
If nothing else, I will report back tomorrow.
Please do report back. My kids are keen to do the drive in next weekend and I have the same thought

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
I find my radio stays on with the engine turned off and key turned right back...It only stops when I open the driver's door not the passenger's...I must say that I have not tried this for a prolonged period of time... ;)

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, that's the extent of my knowledge as well.
However, I have just checked the movie timetable, to find it has been updated to kids movies for the holidays.....
There goes that idea.
Oh well, thanks for the info, not sure about the video answer, the warning lights would still be on in mine, but I'll test it anyway

Reactions: Max

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:55 AM
Reaction score
Oh well, thanks for the info, not sure about the video answer, the warning lights would still be on in mine, but I'll test it anyway

You indicated in your original post that :

I have shown in my video that there is, in fact an accessory position and that the FM radio works when it is used.

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
I have shown in my video that there is, in fact an accessory position and that the FM radio works when it is used.

If I can ask...

How many lights are still on in the Telltale Cluster?

All we get is the ignition on/run position and then the start position. It used to be a no-no to leave the vehicle in the run position as the entire charging system is powered up with nowhere to go. IMaybe that's not the case these days?

DustCloud

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It used to be a no-no to leave the vehicle in the run position as the entire charging system is powered up with nowhere to go. IMaybe that's not the case these days?
I did that by accident for a few hours and nothing really bad happened (Diesel so presumable glow plugs etc), HVAC fans we running etc. and while radio was off at the time, the center console screen was awake.

Perhaps co-incidentally, perhaps related, the HVAC messed up on the next start and pumped endless hot air into the car (much commentary about that else where on these forums) on a very long drive....

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I played with ingition today. I can't find a set position, but if you turn the key back so ignition lights are off, radio stays on until you open the door. I don't know if it stays on for an extended period or what. I will continue to monitor. I'm sure there is another drive in movie coming up

nuclearbeef

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:55 AM
Reaction score
You indicated in your original post that :

The key position shown in your video is the "run" position, not "ACC" position.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:55 AM
Reaction score
From the UK PDF Owner's Manual: (only because It's the PDF I have)

Ignition Position
CAUTION: Do not hold the key in position (4), once the
engine has started release the key immediately. Failure
to do this may damage the vehicle components.
1. Insert the key into the ignition barrel, position (1)
2. Turn the key clockwise to switch on the accessories
(ACC), position (2)
3. Turn the key clockwise again to switch on the ignition
(IGN), position (3)
4. Turn the key clockwise again to start the engine, position
(4)
5. After the engine has started, release the key to allow it to
return to position (3).
VEHICLE OPERATION

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
OK, so I went to the drive in. With the whole tribe.
It was easier to sit outside on camp chairs. It was great.
But....
My wife got cold so wanted to get in car.
But when you turn the key, all the courtesy lights (outside as well) come on.
Massive panic (not by me, every car that has anyone get in or out seemed to have all sort of lights come on, we were at the back of drive in, but i had no idea how to turn them off)
And we hadn't tuned the radio etc
And when you open the door the drivers radio goes off
She stayed cold.
Crap movie (Twisters) but a fun night.
We'll do it again

Back
Top Bottom