The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Engine Standby When Stopped…?

Dual Grenny Guy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
I switch it off but the other option when you stop is just don't press your foot as hard on the brakes. Then it won't operate.
If you want it to operate at the lights then just press all the way down.
Only time it is a problem for me is if at an intersection waiting to pull out into traffic.
I definitely don't want it to operate then.
I’ve been driving mine for months now and never knew the brake thing. Gonna test it out tomorrow. But in all honesty, I’m just like most on here, it’s simple & quick to just push one button each time you drive.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:36 AM
Reaction score
I seem to recall this exact same conversation about 2-3 years ago.
I said at the time that when I climbed into my Mercedes I had a standard sequence of selections I did without thinking.
  • Foot on the brake
  • Insert the key and turn it
  • Transmission into sport mode
  • Suspension into dynamic
  • Auto stop start off.
Now with the Grenadier
  • Foot on the brake
  • Insert the key and turn it
  • Auto stop start off.
Ineos is far more advanced than Mercedes.
Two less steps

ANNML

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
Well was it the start/stop function? You said you bet that was it so assumed you didn’t check yet. I also agree with others that’s probably the issue, but you never know……..🙏
Yes it was! I must’ve hit it inadvertently. It really freaked me out because something had obviously changed but had no idea what.

So then is the whole point of this function to save fuel? Bc isn’t it rather… infinitesimal?

What would I do without this place?! So much I don’t know.

ColoradoMike

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:36 PM
Reaction score
Yes it was! I must’ve hit it inadvertently. It really freaked me out because something had obviously changed but had no idea what.

So then is the whole point of this function to save fuel? Bc isn’t it rather… infinitesimal?

What would I do without this place?! So much I don’t know.
Ann there are no odd questions whatsoever.

I have had Stop Start in our Porsches and have had ZERO issues with the stop/start functions. It takes a bit to get used to in our Grenadier but works as advertised.

Does it save fuel? I suppose so. I personally do not have an issue with it at all. We have just learned that is NOT quite as responsive to our other cars. With that being said, after 2000 miles in 6 weeks I understand when it engages and if I know the light will turn I simply lift off the brake pedal and the engine starts. REMEMBER: The Stop/Start works within parameters (what they are I do not know) such as engine temp, HVAC settings, etc.....

I will say that if I am on a dirt road or off roading without "offroad mode" etc...I do turn it off.

I am not concerned about the Start/Stop functionality at all or its potential wear and tear on items in the vehicle.

I will put my "FLAME HAT" on for the responses.....LOL

Dual Grenny Guy

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:36 PM
Reaction score
Ann there are no odd questions whatsoever.

I have had Stop Start in our Porsches and have had ZERO issues with the stop/start functions. It takes a bit to get used to in our Grenadier but works as advertised.

Does it save fuel? I suppose so. I personally do not have an issue with it at all. We have just learned that is NOT quite as responsive to our other cars. With that being said, after 2000 miles in 6 weeks I understand when it engages and if I know the light will turn I simply lift off the brake pedal and the engine starts. REMEMBER: The Stop/Start works within parameters (what they are I do not know) such as engine temp, HVAC settings, etc.....

I will say that if I am on a dirt road or off roading without "offroad mode" etc...I do turn it off.

I am not concerned about the Start/Stop functionality at all or its potential wear and tear on items in the vehicle.

I will put my "FLAME HAT" on for the responses.....LOL
I have worn that same hat before my friend…..luckily it extinguishes itself in time!! 😉 We all aren’t to agree with everything on here……✌️

1729528015099.jpeg

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score
Euro govts are obsessed with emissions targets. Every gram counts, and when you add up all the cities and towns and the millions of vehicles sitting at traffic lights and in traffic jams for hours , it adds up.
Sitting stationery in traffic is one reason I suspect some countries obsess over cupholders.
I never use them because I don't get stuck in traffic. And I "hydrate" before and after I drive 😉

Local time
4:36 PM
Reaction score
It also leads to more wear on the starter motor and shorter life for the battery or batteries. As most wear occurs when a motor is started, more wear there as well. Plus start/stop batteries cost more to buy. I would rather use a little more diesel instead, not much fuel is used at idle.
Not enough oil settles during a stop for the "start" wear to occur on a motor, The zinc is coating the surfaces, and the 0w mitigates even more when the engine oil isn't quite up to temp yet. As to how much is saved, one needs to consider the total number of cars running the planet, and where the driver is located. This system just needs a tad more sitting time to activate so it's not such an intrusive nuisance in a traffic jam.

rur42

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
1:36 PM
Reaction score
As @ANNML says, it's more of an emissions feature rather than fuel savings... millions of cars sitting at traffic lights really do add up. I think it's a useful feature, but it can be annoying. The most annoying is when it shuts off during a three point turn, stop sign, or a brief pause for any reason. The other is that it's a pretty quick to restart the engine if you ease up on the brake... So if I hit the brake hard to stop at a light, the engine shuts off, I then relax my foot a little and the engine starts back up, though I'm still waiting for the light. Does this when I park sometimes as well, when I pull into a parking spot, engine stops, relax on break, engine starts, turn ignition off, engine stops. Gets a little ridiculous, especially if I used a three point turn into the spot :) I think I'd rather have the feature off by default, then turn it on when I want it. By the way, putting the car into manual shift mode automatically disables the feature.. this is my current preferred solution.

Back
Top Bottom