The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Engine Ignition Coil - Bare Positive (red) Wire

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:34 PM
Reaction score
- Good morning, everyone. I hope you all had a nice Memorial Day weekend in the US. This morning, I was planning to change my oil. I removed the engine cover and noticed that some of the insulation on the underside of the cover is missing. Hmm, weird (see the first picture). As I moved to the passenger side of the engine/cylinder head cover, I noticed that one of the positive (red) wires is bare and mostly stripped on one of the engine ignition coils, and I found the missing insulation. The insulation does not seem to be burned. Mice? Has anyone experienced something similar?

I have contacted the dealership. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_8052.jpg
    IMG_8052.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 146
  • IMG_8049.jpg
    IMG_8049.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 130
  • IMG_8050.jpg
    IMG_8050.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 127

Shaky

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
Any droppings evident ??

Does look like mice, they love to chew insulation. Apparently something in the plastic tastes nice.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
Any droppings evident ??

Does look like mice, they love to chew insulation. Apparently something in the plastic tastes nice.
Think it's the soy

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:34 PM
Reaction score
- Good morning, everyone. I hope you all had a nice Memorial Day weekend in the US. This morning, I was planning to change my oil. I removed the engine cover and noticed that some of the insulation on the underside of the cover is missing. Hmm, weird (see the first picture). As I moved to the passenger side of the engine/cylinder head cover, I noticed that one of the positive (red) wires is bare and mostly stripped on one of the engine ignition coils, and I found the missing insulation. The insulation does not seem to be burned. Mice? Has anyone experienced something similar?

I have contacted the dealership. Thanks in advance.
Could be weasel also, or any other rodent!

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Any droppings evident ??

No droppings are evident. All the insulation from the engine cover are nice little bites. If it is a mouse he crewed away the insulation, left it, and went straight for the red jacket on the wiring, leaving the copper wire mostly in tact.

Attachments

• IMG_8053.jpg
    IMG_8053.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 112

rur42

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:34 AM
Reaction score
Looks like mice to me as well. They like to chew the insulation on my JK as well, they're obviously partial to off road vehicles.

Local time
Reaction score
My bet is its rodent. Happened a few times to our cars. The soy used in the insulation attracts them as well as good nesting material in the area. For me, it happened when the car sat a few days. We were told to put dog hair in a nylon and put in the area where they are nesting/eating. Sounded strange but didn’t have a problem after that.

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
UPDATE: Spoke to the RDS dealership, and yep it has happened to a few other Gren owners as well. It is recommended that I replace the coil as a few of the copper strands are broke off.

My wife has a Mini Coper, just checked under her engine cover, and sure enough the little monsters started to chew her insulation as well. Fortunately, no damage to any wiring harnesses.

The dealership suggested peppermint rodent spray. It appears to work.

Ending on a positive note; the oil change was surprisingly easy.

Thank you all.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:34 PM
Reaction score
Good call on the peppermint repellent.
I had a nest in the air filter box of my previous vehicle, double cab Nissan, so I need to do something.

MurphyMurph

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the rodent problem. They can be a real pain! I had an issue on my 2005 Tundra where they got into the starter cord and knock sensors that sit under the nice warm intake manifold. I had evidence of rodents in a couple other vehicles but luckily caught it early enough before they started causing real damage. Ended up buying some of theses ultrasonic rodent repellent devices from Loraffe and have not had issues since. For $30 it’s worth a shot.

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
UPDATE: Spoke to the RDS dealership, and yep it has happened to a few other Gren owners as well. It is recommended that I replace the coil as a few of the copper strands are broke off.
Ending on a positive note; the oil change was surprisingly easy.

Thank you all.
Did they have parts in-house or do they need to order the coil, etc.? If not, a future update on how long it takes to get parts would be interesting. I just received a part I ordered in mid February (and I feel lucky at that)

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:34 AM
Reaction score
Did they have parts in-house or do they need to order the coil, etc.? If not, a future update on how long it takes to get parts would be interesting. I just received a part I ordered in mid February (and I feel lucky at that)
I imagine the coil harness could be obtained from any BMW parts outlet if Ineos don't have local stock. The damaged but functional engine cover would be an Ineos special order but that won't keep the vehicle out of service.

LeonD

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Update: Wiring harness replaced by RDS yesterday. A small rodent with a high price. Some picture attached with some of the codes for the wiring harness in case someone is interested.

Attachments

• IMG_8058.jpg
    IMG_8058.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8059.jpg
    IMG_8059.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 17
  • IMG_8060.jpg
    IMG_8060.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 14
  • IMG_8061.jpg
    IMG_8061.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_8062.jpg
    IMG_8062.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8063.jpg
    IMG_8063.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 21

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Did you buy a cat on the way home to deal with the rodent? 🤣

Local time
Reaction score
I’ve been told that Synthetic animal urine works. I just use pet hair in a nylon stocking zip tied under the hood. I had a few grand caused by a rodent on a new 911 and the brake line on a Benz destroyed by these guys. Hair of the dog that bit you did the trick:)

Back
Top Bottom