The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel Engine cooling noise diesel

DeKerk

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
Yes, I experienced exactly the same thing. Outside temperature 16 degrees Celsius, average speed maximum 80 km/h, driving time 30 minutes. Afterwards, I stopped in a car park. The fan was running at full speed and was extremely loud. It drowned out the engine. After about 5-10 minutes, no change. I drove on. Same parameters, stopped again. The fan runs very pleasantly quiet, as I expect. I will observe this on the next few rides. It will be interesting to see what it does at high outside temperatures.
I had the same "issue" and checked the tempratue in the "Offroad" menue. The oil temp was 100 degree. It seams, that the temp is needed, but in my eyes still strange.

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:35 AM
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think my Grenadier is not cut out for the occasional short trips I do - have clocked up only 4,000 miles and it was one of the early ones so it's over a year old and well past its first service.

Had experienced the diesel particulate filter (dpf) burn in the early days once or twice but yesterday it was roaring away after two stops each time on a short journey.

Setting off after the second stop, the low battery warning light came on. I can only conclude that short runs in low gears are going to generate dpf burns and that the vigorous fan response is draining the battery. QED Grenadiers are not good for short journey driving in low gears.

Curiously I never get the engine fan coming on like this in my Defender after equally short runs. Has anyone run their batteries down through these dpf burns?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
I'm beginning to think my Grenadier is not cut out for the occasional short trips I do - have clocked up only 4,000 miles and it was one of the early ones so it's over a year old and well past its first service.

Had experienced the diesel particulate filter (dpf) burn in the early days once or twice but yesterday it was roaring away after two stops each time on a short journey.

Setting off after the second stop, the low battery warning light came on. I can only conclude that short runs in low gears are going to generate dpf burns and that the vigorous fan response is draining the battery. QED Grenadiers are not good for short journey driving in low gears.

Curiously I never get the engine fan coming on like this in my Defender after equally short runs. Has anyone run their batteries down through these dpf burns?
Have you had the latest software updates?

Quartermaster

Quatermaster Owner
Local time
4:35 AM
Reaction score
I had the battery warning twice (battery was at 50 and 47%). The car started effortless without the secondary battery supporting. The low battery happens, when some things come together. In the end, it´s just logical:
- because designed as micro-hybrid-system, the (starting) battery is nearly never charged full for having "space" to "recuperate". From around 65% SOC upwards, it is charged very slowely
- if the dpf burn starts just before the end of your drive, it hasn´t burn complete, but needs the full cooling period with sucking upto 110 ampéres for about 7 minutes
- if you do a short drive, maybe 4 kms or so again, the same happens again
- then you have drawn maybe around approx. 90 ampéres for a quarter of an hour -> more than 20 Ah
- the charging on the second short drive can´t fully compensate and you can get to around 50 % SOC

In a dual battery system, this is not a problem, because the secondary battery is nearly always held full and the ctek has the jumpstart function.

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have you had the latest software updates?
I had whatever was supposed to be needed during its first service back in May. The fan issue wasn't discussed as it was something I noticed once or twice in the first few weeks of ownership but not since then. What was discussed was the eye-watering cost (£800) of the service which seemed ridiculous. The service manager agreed, but that's another story.
There was a burning smell so assume the pdf burn was necessary. Have there been several software updates?

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I know repeating what others have said, but dpf means that you must take the vehicle for a run on a monthly basis.

Incidentally, working with an airport, they had to road register their diesel pickups so they could do a 30 minute blast up and down the motorway every week or so.

At least the IG is better than many vehicles with its 7th injector. Those that just pump extra fuel in the engine are very prone to filling the sump with diesel.

Earthwatcher

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Imagine if the dealer (or anyone at Ineos) had told me this at any stage of the purchase. In fact I do drive it every week, usually a shortish trip. I tend to do the longer motorway trips in my Defender because it's more comfortable, more frugal, quieter, and hasn't missed a beat in 22,000 miles.

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:35 AM
Reaction score
Imagine if the dealer (or anyone at Ineos) had told me this at any stage of the purchase. In fact I do drive it every week, usually a shortish trip. I tend to do the longer motorway trips in my Defender because it's more comfortable, more frugal, quieter, and hasn't missed a beat in 22,000 miles.
I think it a case of driving it more, there have been several updates over the last 12 months, some are location specific (UK/AU) so some may be due. Your agent should be able to provide this information.

Back
Top Bottom