The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Dual batteries

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:38 AM
Reaction score
Hi DenisM,

It's been close to 2 years since I spec'd my build so I can't remember what was included with the Trialmaster, I did tick a few other boxes and then added some more while waiting on delivery for agent fitment. From memory it arrived with everything needed from the factory (and arrived with the fire extinguisher option plus 2 set of cargo tie downs I didn't order!). I took it back a couple of weeks after delivery to get the front 1/4 side protection bars/rails fitted that I ordered late in the process, I think that's it.

I think it would have been best if the Trialmaster came with just the high load electrical preparation but also included auxiliary battery wiring with the CTEK/dual battery being a tick box option. The factory fitted CTEK/dual battery system might be alight for weekend warriors but I'm guessing most who want a proper off-grid system are going to pull it out and replace it with something different, e.g Redarc or Enerdrive in AUS, I'm guessing other regions around the world have other preferences. The CTEK isn't great though...

Cheers,

Paul
The two "L rails" and 4 spring loaded tie downs in the cargo floor are also std. issue for the Trialmaster ;)

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:38 PM
Reaction score
Ji Jean,

Very interesting, how are you getting this battery information onto your phone? I'm interested in trying to get this infarction without relying on the vehicles infotainment system, Redarc does a basic solar/battery monitor that connects into their regulators that I'm considering which also allows programming of the regulator via a GUI rather than pressing buttons in sequence with lights etc. on the regulator, It's only A$110 (RRP) and plug & play but also another component (along with the regulator) that I will be getting rid of when I install a full Redarc VMS.

Cheers,

Paul
That's how I get the data:

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:08 AM
Reaction score
The two "L rails" and 4 spring loaded tie downs in the cargo floor are also std. issue for the Trialmaster ;)
Aware of that, but mine came with 8 tie downs for some reason :)

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Miltz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
That's how I get the data:
Hi Jean,

Just had a better read of this thread, it appears that both your batteries hold the same charge, is this all the time or just when you first installed the monitors?

If so it would appear the CTEK is more or less just balancing the batteries, though the main battery gets the charge and also powers everything, the second battery is either charging at the same rate or discharging the same way. That being the case you may as well just have a bigger single battery or the 2 batteries connected in parallel with a basic balancer between them, if at all. And it would also support the idea that the second battery is trickle charging the main battery...

A post on page 21 showing the Ineos quick-start guide appears to show that Ineos is aware the battery system can be fully drained (missed this while giving it a speed read on when I took the vehicle home!) suggesting CTEKs claims of battery guard are either not true or the system doesn't work as they advertise.

Cheers,

Paul

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:38 PM
Reaction score
Hi Jean,

Just had a better read of this thread, it appears that both your batteries hold the same charge, is this all the time or just when you first installed the monitors?

If so it would appear the CTEK is more or less just balancing the batteries, though the main battery gets the charge and also powers everything, the second battery is either charging at the same rate or discharging the same way. That being the case you may as well just have a bigger single battery or the 2 batteries connected in parallel with a basic balancer between them, if at all. And it would also support the idea that the second battery is trickle charging the main battery...

A post on page 21 showing the Ineos quick-start guide appears to show that Ineos is aware the battery system can be fully drained (missed this while giving it a speed read on when I took the vehicle home!) suggesting CTEKs claims of battery guard are either not true or the system doesn't work as they advertise.

Cheers,

Paul
I am (of course) not the Ineos battery designer, therefore everything I say is somwhat speculation and based on what I read on this forum and what I understood myself out of the reading of my battery monitoring.

Everything (all consumers) seems to be connected to the starter battery. The auxiliary battery seems to be trickle charged by the auxiliary battery through the CTEK Smartpass. And the Auxiliary battery also help the Starter battery when starting the car. Both can indeed get depleted.

Until now I never had problems, but I never used big consumers while my car was parked.

Back
Top Bottom