The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Does my turbo need a cool down period before shutdown?

Pete Brown

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:25 PM
Reaction score
When I return home after a drive, I have an about a 4 or 5 mile uphill drive and a gain in altitude of 1,400 ft. The steepest part is the last mile home.

The B58 gas engine is warm when I get home and it goes through some kind of cooling off period after I have turned it off.

To maximize engine life, should I allow it to idle for a minute or two to cool down after arriving or is it ok to just turn it off immediately?

Max

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score
I would say no and I would also say that we'd told at purchase time if there was an issue. Most modern turbo manufacturers have this sorted.

The Big plus for you is your warm-up is all downhill...Brilliant... like mine, my home is not quite as elevated as yours but it is a steep drive of over 500 ft in a short distance, and never had an issue over the 40 years living here with many turbo-driven diesel cars (y)

G-Tank

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:25 PM
Reaction score
When I return home after a drive, I have an about a 4 or 5 mile uphill drive and a gain in altitude of 1,400 ft. The steepest part is the last mile home.

The B58 gas engine is warm when I get home and it goes through some kind of cooling off period after I have turned it off.

To maximize engine life, should I allow it to idle for a minute or two to cool down after arriving or is it ok to just turn it off immediately?
I mostly keep the last 3-5 minutes of the ride at the lowest RPM possible and give it a few seconds before I turn the truck Off.
It is just your own peace of mind at the end of the day.

Considering your scenario, try to back up to your spot to spend more time parking it. ;) It will cool things down for sure.

I had a 2011 Ford Ecoboost and changed the turbo's a few years ago. They were caked with Oil and Coolant.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:25 AM
Reaction score
There is an electric water pump that will keep coolant circulating through the turbo (and engine) after shut down. The fear (historically) is primarily with turbos that are only oil cooled, and thus as soon as you turn the engine off, oil flow (and cooling) stops and the oil cakes up in the cartridge/feed line. The circulating coolant greatly helps ward off any issues with this, but isn't a total replacement for cool down.

If you're actually hard on it, a few minutes of cool down is always a great idea; if you're just moseying up your driveway, you'll be fine.

Pete Brown

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks to all who responded. I have also forwarded this question to Ineos and will post the reply if and when I hear from them.

Local time
7:25 AM
Reaction score
How long time does the electric pump circulate cooling fluid?

After a hot run I would keep engine idling for couple of minutes to cool down the cylinder head. Small electric pump may not be enough here.
And BMW have had problems with heads cracking, especially on M51 diesel.
Also proper wam-up before throttling to higway.

Pete Brown

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

The word from the factory about turbo cool down​

CASE REFERENCE: 150038

Hi Pete,

I hope this email finds you well.
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you regarding your query. I have received information from the concerned parties and will provide it below.

Best practice will be to let the car idle for a couple of mins, but if the vehicle was to be turned off without letting it idle the engine protocol will run the fans on to help cool the engine system down. About the oil, I'll get back to you on this.

Thank you for your patience.
Please do not hesitate to contact us if you need any further assistance.

Thanks,

Ayokunle Ben

INEOS Grenadier Customer Service

255/85

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
11:25 PM
Reaction score

We have about the same elevation gain when returning home but in slightly less miles. All our vehicles get a few minutes of cool down unless we've had time to substantially reduce the power demand well before parking or nature is frantically calling. Vehicles with turbos invariably so.

Having a cool down period allows internal engine components to stabilize somewhat before shutdown which may add to engine lifespan. With the B58 in the Grenadier the cooling system may continue to run after the engine is turned off (you'll hear all three fans ramp up), but the oil pump does not supply any fresh oil to the bearings in the turbo as the oil pump is chain driven by the crankshaft gear afaik. Waiting just 2-3 minutes after spirited drives home (recently in 110ºF/43+C heat) will prevent the cooling system from remaining "on" after shut down. If nothing more it saves battery power.

Maybe BMW has found a way to prevent the oil from coking in the turbo bearings when the engine is shut off like @anand said, but I think I'll continue my little exercise in mechanical sympathy regardless.

Back
Top Bottom