The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diff breathers

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
Maybe? But I won’t be spraying that filter with water, and it’s super protected from splashing.

bnebenda

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:27 PM
Reaction score
If one is using atmospheric breathers, there is an unfortunate corner case where you might have worn seals (but not actually failed) and the water will be pushed through because of the pressure difference while submerged. This would not happen with the original breather.
For that coner case a viable solution would be to maintain a slight (regulated to approx. 500mm water depth or 5 kPa) overpressure using a pressure reducer and a small compressed air reservoir from which you can draw clean air in case the diff is quickly cooled down and hence would otherwise create an underpressure inside.

OzyGrenie

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:27 AM
Reaction score
Diff breathers position, NOT raised air intake as it's not a snorkel!

The concept of any water crossing (ocean or river) is 'pushing' a body water in front of the vehicle at moderate speed. With a good bow wave, the engine bay is not entirely filled.

With experience, the optimal position for diff breathers is the highest position on the fire wall just under the bonnet. An added blind / tarp over the front really helps (old school).

Oh yes, I learnt the hard way drowning my first 4x4 in 1982 after heavy rain while not having a clue following the trip leader wrong tyres, not able to drive up the embankment, then reversing back up stream finding a huge hole!!

Like in factory fuel or air filters, don't entirely trust factory breathers is either especially heavy off road use or when facing multiple water crossings near wheel depth.

The Grenadier is truly a great 4x4, however it's not designed to be a submersible and the factory unsealed raised air intake is not a snorkel!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Diff breathers position, NOT raised air intake as it's not a snorkel!

The concept of any water crossing (ocean or river) is 'pushing' a body water in front of the vehicle at moderate speed. With a good bow wave, the engine bay is not entirely filled.

With experience, the optimal position for diff breathers is the highest position on the fire wall just under the bonnet. An added blind / tarp over the front really helps (old school).

Oh yes, I learnt the hard way drowning my first 4x4 in 1982 after heavy rain while not having a clue following the trip leader wrong tyres, reversing back streams not able to cross!!

Like in factory fuel or air filters, don't entirely trust factory breathers especially when facing multiple water crossings near wheel depth.

The Grenadier is truly a great 4x4, however it's not designed to be a submersible!
I owned a Suzuki Sierra back about 40 years ago and was a member of the Sydney Landcruiser club.
An old hessian bag under the bonnet catch was what I used for water crossings.
Flipped up onto the bonnet when not needed and down in front of the radiator when crossing water.
No snorkel or diff breathers
I went everywhere the Landcruisers went except once.
Water a bit deep and fast and I started to float away.
Opened the downstream door and let the water in.
She sank, hit bottom and drove out.
Very lucky indeed.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I owned a Suzuki Sierra back about 40 years ago and was a member of the Sydney Landcruiser club.
An old hessian bag under the bonnet catch was what I used for water crossings.
Flipped up onto the bonnet when not needed and down in front of the radiator when crossing water.
No snorkel or diff breathers
I went everywhere the Landcruisers went except once.
Water a bit deep and fast and I started to float away.
Opened the downstream door and let the water in.
She sank, hit bottom and drove out.
Very lucky indeed.
Very lucky! Great story though.

samnt650

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:27 PM
Reaction score
Been reading this thread... Am I correct that, if you want to do away with the factory breather, you'll need to MacGyver the parts? By my count, the truck needs Rear, Transfer Case, Transmission & Front...

Back
Top Bottom