The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Car or Truck?

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:18 AM
Reaction score
So; light-hearted topic time, what’s the consensus:

Is the Grenadier a car or a truck (this should probably be a poll but I can’t figure out how to do that I’m afraid)?

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
So; light-hearted topic time, what’s the consensus:

Is the Grenadier a car or a truck (this should probably be a poll but I can’t figure out how to do that I’m afraid)?
Country dependant, Oz & US - truck; UK- vehicle, EU - ??

sne

Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
Depending on type in Europe it is a passenger car (M1) or a utility vehicle (class N1), the latter could be referred to as some kind of truck, so the wording remains sort of taste 😊

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:18 AM
Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken, as per Sir Jim, it is neither, it is a vehicle.

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Depending on type in Europe it is a passenger car (M1) or a utility vehicle (class N1), the latter could be referred to as some kind of truck, so the wording remains sort of taste 😊
Are these not just insurance classification terms? I personally don’t feel as though the difference in seating arrangement is enough to classify the two as different types of vehicle.

sne

Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
Are these not just insurance classification terms? I personally don’t feel as though the difference in seating arrangement is enough to classify the two as different types of vehicle.
Effectively your are probably right, the challenges for the designer lie in the different set of rules for Homologation to be applied, also there are variations in taxation (road tax) and road regulations which are varying in the different EU27 countries.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yep, that's my view, certainly not a car. And a truck covers just the commercial versions. So sticking with generic term vehicle.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
When in invited shooting in the uk, your host may enquire if you’ll be bringing “a vehicle” which means will you be bringing a car you don’t mind getting filled with beaters, dogs, guns or a combination plus elevensies. Usually means a defender, disco, or crew cap pick up…. It does not mean X5, Q7 or other handbag carriers or school run chariots..

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:18 PM
Reaction score
Very early on in our 4wding lives about 30 years ago we had a little Suzuki 4wd and we had driven to a nice little waterhole in the bush and there were a bunch of young bogans there having a rowdy time but they kept saying things like “hey Baz get me another tinnie from the truck mate” etc referring to their 4wds as trucks. So jokingly we started calling our little Suzuki “the truck” but 30 years and several different 4wds of various sized later we still call any 4wd we own a truck. So long story short, its a truck.

Local time
Reaction score
It's a car. A 4x4 car to be more specific. A class 4 vehicle.
A truck (class 7) is a vehicle designed to carry passengers and goods (like a pickup truck) and wieghs more than 3001Kgs
The Gren' has a passenger area with a boot at the rear.

In American it may well be a 'truck' but such a common term should never be used on such a sophisticated and classy vehicle... Landrovers aren't 'trucks' either, unless it's the 110 or 130 'pick-up'.

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's a car. A 4x4 car to be more specific. A class 4 vehicle.
A truck (class 7) is a vehicle designed to carry passengers and goods (like a pickup truck) and wieghs more than 3001Kgs
The Gren' has a passenger area with a boot at the rear.

In American it may well be a 'truck' but such a common term should never be used on such a sophisticated and classy vehicle... Landrovers aren't 'trucks' either, unless it's the 110 or 130 'pick-up'.
In Australia it’s class is “Medium Goods Carrying Vehicle” in other words, a truck

AnD3rew

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is that 1 up from a UTE ?
Now we are getting complex. The whole ute thing has been muddied since the real utes went away. In the past the utes were really a thing of their own, a car platform but 2 seat with a pickup tray. Then the 4wds started being referred to occasionally as utes, or trucks and then the majority became dual cab commercial based vehicles again interchangeably utes, trucks, or 4wds etc. noe they no longer make the car platform ones, so the term ute is now pretty much generically used for anything that might be called a pickup in the US.

RavenVoice

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It might be called a 'truck' in the colonies, but here (in the UK) gentlemen don't drive 'trucks'.
The Greny' carries 'passengers' and it has a 'boot' .... https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/boot-mat.12412061/

So there really is no argument, it's a car. A car wot car-ease people and their stuff about ... simples. :p
Hehe. I’m struggling with what to call it tbh, both ‘car’ & ‘truck’ seem wrong to me but I feel that saying “I drive a vehicle” seems odd & standoffish & will inevitably be followed by the question “what sort of vehicle”. The Grenadier or The Grenny is how we’re referring to it in our household but that would probably come across kinda weird to strangers. First world problems aye!? Hahaha

Back
Top Bottom