The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Cable rubbing on prop shaft

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
Similar Damage report, cautionary tale;
3 exhaust/emissions cables damaged (Diesel particulate sensor/NOX sensor/Exhaust temperature sensor), all ripped off (one lost, one pulled off at plug at one end and one severed in 2 revealing 8 different coloured wires inside, all severed. This occurred after driving along recently graded and slashed service trails in Koreelah national park on NSW/QLD border, and having a 800mm length of vine caught around the driveshaft and flailing until the cables were damaged. I was alerted by sound and smell. Engine warning light on . We respliced the remaining wires by the roadside not really knowing what they were, and the car performance was unaffected, except for the disconcerting amber engine warning light. $1100 replacement cost. Will be taking a very close look at all underbody cabling making sure to reduce slack and future opportunities for similar entanglements. Just really bad luck rather than bad design but some extra cable tying to minimse slack might be worthwhile.

I agree that some of the underside wiring looks very vulnerable, particularly on the left side opposite the fuel tank. The cable clips look way oversized, the cables to the diesel dpf are very sloppy and for some reason the wire to the top of the rear diff (temperature sensor?) seems to be very oddly routed for an off road vehicle.
I am tempted to carry out some re-routing.

Update, 20 minutes with some cable ties and it all looks much better. The wire to the rear diff unclipped from the chassis and cable tied to the main loom. Much happier.

Probably just for the diesel owners, you can see the afterthought wiring on the leftPXL_20240703_143220139.jpg

The improved version, not that obvious, about 25mm corrugated cable sleeving which makes its way above the propshaft. Also fits nicely in the factory cable clips.PXL_20240704_170708221.jpg
PXL_20240704_171553983.jpg

Last edited:

MikeF

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
2:20 PM
Reaction score
Having a good

I agree that some of the underside wiring looks very vulnerable, particularly on the left side opposite the fuel tank. The cable clips look way oversized, the cables to the diesel dpf are very sloppy and for some reason the wire to the top of the rear diff (temperature sensor?) seems to be very oddly routed for an off road vehicle.
I am tempted to carry out some re-routing.
Thanks for this feedback, your thoughts. The plastc clips were still attached to the cables but ripped out from the under floor. Agree that there is too much slack.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:20 AM
Reaction score
Similar Damage report, cautionary tale;
3 exhaust/emissions cables damaged (Diesel particulate sensor/NOX sensor/Exhaust temperature sensor), all ripped off (one lost, one pulled off at plug at one end and one severed in 2 revealing 8 different coloured wires inside, all severed. This occurred after driving along recently graded and slashed service trails in Koreelah national park on NSW/QLD border, and having a 800mm length of vine caught around the driveshaft and flailing until the cables were damaged. I was alerted by sound and smell. Engine warning light on . We respliced the remaining wires by the roadside not really knowing what they were, and the car performance was unaffected, except for the disconcerting amber engine warning light. $1100 replacement cost. Will be taking a very close look at all underbody cabling making sure to reduce slack and future opportunities for similar entanglements. Just really bad luck rather than bad design but some extra cable tying to minimse slack might be worthwhile.
Good job you were able to re splice the wires and get on the road again. Good fix and a good precautionary lesson for all of us.

Back
Top Bottom