The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Buyers Pre Purchase checklist...

Local time
3:42 AM
Reaction score
I don't see a Pre Purchase checklist. Maybe we should assemble one?

Most of discussed gripes are baked in, and either you deal with it, or you don't. But a few really are flaws to be avoided/fixed pre delivery.

Edit: This is for people that have made up their mind to buy, and they should check before they leave the lot.

Some that I recall below. (Member contributions start after #7)

1. Squealing PS pump. Apparently some are off the charts.
2. Leaky doors/loose/incorrect door seals
3. Water intrusion from the skylights.
4. Stickie door latches
5. HVAC cycles thru its functions correctly.
6. excessive wind noise
7. Mystery rattling/noise caused apparently by loose wiring/cables in A pillar or underneath.
8. centered wheel.
9. Steering column. With the grenadier shut down turn the steering back and forth a few degrees. It should be silent, with no play. If there’s any knocking sound then it’s a new column for you.
10. Alignment and tire pressure.
11. The upper windshield trim, in the center, pops out a bit on some.
12. Confirm the pin in the t-case shifter isn't falling out already

Feel free to chine in with add's and removals if it's BS or a duplicate cause, I'll edit it. (or a mod can) Some my have been corrected with later production, but it's still useful for the used market.

Last edited:

hoohoohama

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
  • Fan whistle noise when AC or Front Window Demist is on (Fan Speed level 4) - workaround: don’t use level 4 and don’t use automatic mode
  • Headlight daylight sensor not working - workaround: turn off manually
  • Front Camera Obstruction warning when driving - ignore
  • Position light error- don’t use signal lights when Hazards light is on
  • Secure vehicle against rolling- unable to switch to reverse - just try again
  • Front collision warning light shows up - ignore
  • Fuel gauge isn’t accurate - ignore
  • Washer fluid low warning light even when it is half full - ignore
  • Compass- Altitude not correct - ignore
  • Doning noise on high way - ignore
  • Front wiper error (make sure you remove all ice before use)

Local time
Reaction score
  • Fan whistle noise when AC or Front Window Demist is on (Fan Speed level 4) - workaround: don’t use level 4 and don’t use automatic mode
  • Headlight daylight sensor not working - workaround: turn off manually
  • Front Camera Obstruction warning when driving - ignore
  • Position light error- don’t use signal lights when Hazards light is on
  • Secure vehicle against rolling- unable to switch to reverse - just try again
  • Front collision warning light shows up - ignore
  • Fuel gauge isn’t accurate - ignore
  • Washer fluid low warning light even when it is half full - ignore
  • Compass- Altitude not correct - ignore
  • Doning noise on high way - ignore
  • Front wiper error (make sure you remove all ice before use)
This is the "live with it" category, not the "pre purchase checklist".

It isn't without it's use. It's kinda like when your Phd dissertation gets rejected. You haven't completely wasted your time as you have pointed others in a direction not to follow. Such a list would be really useful for all the social influencers that need to rehash everything they read online and present like they discovered it themselves.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:42 AM
Reaction score
Steering column. With the grenadier shut down turn the steering back and forth a few degrees. It should be silent, with no play.

If there’s any knocking sound then it’s a new column for you.

crashnburn

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
I believe DaBull made a list somewhere and those not there can be added.

hoohoohama

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
This is the "live with it" category, not the "pre purchase checklist".

It isn't without it's use. It's kinda like when your Phd dissertation gets rejected. You haven't completely wasted your time as you have pointed others in a direction not to follow. Such a list would be really useful for all the social influencers that need to rehash everything they read online and present like they discovered it themselves.
You are right, this is the live-with it list, in terms of pre-purchase check list, unless your vehicle doesn’t start or is obviously having problems, I found it difficult to identify issues while at the dealership especially having the sales person next to you. :)

Local time
Reaction score
You are right, this is the live-with it list, in terms of pre-purchase check list, unless your vehicle doesn’t start or is obviously having problems, I found it difficult to identify issues while at the dealership especially having the sales person next to you. :)
That's why I figured a piece of paper with a checklist would be handy. I'd be too excited and easily distracted. Salesmen rely on that.

Local time
Reaction score
What about the brake line on front passenger?… I believe @anand had to sort on his build thread
I don't know, is that an anomaly or a repeated issue. Like, for the sunroofs, I see a disgruntled fella named Jacques Heinmann getting drunk on cheap local Moselle Riesling every Friday for lunch, resulting leaky Friday production sunroofs.

Trialmaster

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
More depressing threads, why do people want to buy the Grenadier if they are already mindset there are so many problems?

Local time
Reaction score
More depressing threads, why do people want to buy the Grenadier if they are already mindset there are so many problems?
Why is this depressing? This is an attempt to categorize all know fixable defects, and if you nip them before you go home with it, I'd think with some piece of mind, you'd be all the more happier. Maybe not you, but, I will be. I'm doing it "open source" because it's much easier that way.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
I once turned up at an Audi dealer to pick up a new vehicle.
I spotted a salesman in a suit with a bottle of touch up paint covering up the marks on a brand new A6. Which of course would wash off as no surface preparation was evident.
One to watch out for.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What about the brake line on front passenger?… I believe @anand had to sort on his build thread
Yea usually it is caught at the factory or during PDI, sometimes the clip makes it look like it is ok (but still close) and then it pops out of the clip.

I'd add making sure all the door seals are attached completely

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
Some people live 5 hrs, 10hrs or more away, and if they get stuff done BEFORE they take delivery, with known issues, it'll actually cut down on the complaints. Think of it as PM/QA.
I had to take a 4 hour train ride then get picked up by a forum member, who took the video for me.

Back
Top Bottom