The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bonnet solar panel

Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
Does anyone has experience with these PV panels?
Lensun Solar

I don't like flex panels that much because they just aren't that robust and can develop microcracks (thermal expansion).

Would like to know of anyone here has such ones, it seems like a good idea to cover the otherwise unused real estate of the bonnet.

chrsbe

Grenadier Owner
Local time
5:37 AM
Reaction score
Is it mounted directly to the bonnet? Is there no ventilation and cooling needed from the backside? How does the heat from the motor affect the efficiency of the panel? A lot of Pesos for 90W. Is it worth it?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:37 PM
Reaction score
I've had bonnet solar on several vehicles now; and actually ordered the Lensun kit several months ago, only to find out that they in fact didn't have a kit for the Grenadier at that time, despite what their website said (they needed all the bonnet measurements). According to my last email from them (middle of June), they do have the appropriate measurements, and were expecting the panels to be available in July. Not sure if that is still the case or not.

My previous experience with bonnet mounted solar is using panels from Cascadia 4x4, with good results. We have their panels on our Sprinter (for about 2 years), and had them on my better half's Tacoma for about a year until it was sold. The Tacoma's panel appeared to be delaminating in a few places (maybe 5-8mm areas), but worked perfectly fine.

@chrsbe yes they are mounted directly to the hood surface (technically they suggest a layer of vinyl to protect the paint from any flex in the panel); and while I'm sure there is some negative effect from constant heat, the panels aren't intended to be super high producers, more so just a little bonus bump.

If you have room to put a panel elsewhere, I would prioritize that first as your price-per-watt will be vastly cheaper; but if it is all the space you have for solar, something is better than nothing.

One thing to caution is their panel voltage is a bit too low if you plan on using a Victron solar charge controller.

Back
Top Bottom