The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Bong/Chime when hitting heavy bumps and CarPlay randomly disconnecting. Software Issues.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:02 PM
Reaction score
Now I have solved the water leaks with my door seals I have started to try and figure out the minor software niggles, or at least see if anyone else has noticed them.

1. During a recent 2100 mile trip with some light off-roading I get a loud big/chime (same as the deafening low fuel warning) when I hit a large bump or dip that jars the vehicle. Not every time, but many times. No visual warning lights or messages accompany it.

2. Apple CarPlay randomly disconnects and reconnects on long drives when using Waze or Google Maps. maybe an overheating issue? Same phone works fine in 4Runner.

3. Still no updates in NA for the stupid overspeed warning. Toggles sometimes stay where set and other times reset to default. Lane departure warnings are extremely annoying on mountain roads and narrow tracks. Turning off ADAS and sticking black tape over the tell tale light is an option 🤪

4. ON X Off-road Maps flicker on CarPlay when using offline maps. Probably nothing to do with the Grenadier. Generally ON X is not that great.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:02 AM
Reaction score
The loud bong sounds like the rear door sensor issue. @DaveB didn't you have this issue?

Carplay can be anything. I use wireless AA in my current car. There are times where it will disconnect and the reconnect. Are you using carplay wireless?

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The loud bong sounds like the rear door sensor issue. @DaveB didn't you have this issue?

Carplay can be anything. I use wireless AA in my current car. There are times where it will disconnect and the reconnect. Are you using carplay wireless?

Never thought of the door sensor. Probably adjustable? Will ask dealer unless someone else comments with a known fix.

CarPlay, yes, wireless in the Grenadier. Only seems to drop after about 2 hours use using mapping apps. Other than that it never disconnects. Damned annoying as it always seems to be in traffic with challenging navigation situations. Sod's law!

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:02 AM
Reaction score
Never thought of the door sensor. Probably adjustable? Will ask dealer unless someone else comments with a known fix.

CarPlay, yes, wireless in the Grenadier. Only seems to drop after about 2 hours use using mapping apps. Other than that it never disconnects. Damned annoying as it always seems to be in traffic with challenging navigation situations. Sod's law!
My entire rear door lock mechanism was replaced and not a bong has been heard since.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I had the bumps bong go off half a dozen times over and rough bumps last weekend. A warning flashed on the indo screen each time but I was never able to read it properly before it went away.

LeftCoastOverland

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you have a larger / heavier tyre on the rear door, or a bin bag full of something heavy it will cause the rear door warning to momentarily chime over bumps.

My solution was to slam the door heavily to ensure it seats well on the latch mechanism. Seemed to solve my issue.

It only happened to me once, immediately going over a bump after having had the door open a few minutes prior. I’ve got 285/70r17 KM 3’s and a bin bag full of fire wood. So pretty heavy.

DoubleDoom

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:02 PM
Reaction score
Check the phone is not overheating. Especially if it is being charged at the same time as using it for wireless. My BMW is prone to that whilst charging at the same time on a warm day. No issues when not charging or its a cold day.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Check the phone is not overheating. Especially if it is being charged at the same time as using it for wireless. My BMW is prone to that whilst charging at the same time on a warm day. No issues when not charging or its a cold day.
Yes, a big issue. However, it was is my pocket. The new iPhone Max has phenomenal battery life I rarely charge it now. Coincidently I also found by chance another issue. When I walk away from the Grenadier and the CarPlay disconnects (car left running) and then I walk back and it reconnects the touch screen is non-functional on CarPlay screens. I went into devices, connected the wife's phone, and then reconnected mine and all was well.

I wish Ineos released a bug fix list and software update details like most software companies do. Or maybe they do? Like what are they working on and when will those fixes be shipped etc.

Last edited:

IdahoGrenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:02 PM
Reaction score
(I'm a software engineering executive, so I have spent a lot of time finding root cause on bugs. I don't really know how to turn off that part of my brain. So this might sound OCD.)

I get Android Auto disconnects. I notice they will happen at exactly the same place on certain roads. When the map zooms out as my speed increases that sometimes triggers it. Also, lane departure warning causes the audio to drop volume, presumably so you can hear the bong. But the drop in volume happens even if you turn off lane departure warning. That audio drop often causes an Android disconnect. Finally, when cell reception drops or comes back it can drop Android Auto. Each of these are times that the infotainment is externally futzing with the hosted Android software. It's probably timing out because it's dropping heartbeats or acks while doing that. Going up to the ski hill makes it almost impossible to listen to my podcasts because of the speed changes, bad lane lines, and cell reception.

I think you can turn down the volume on the bongs, right? At least I seem to recall having found this setting.

I'd love an after market solution for the idiot lights that darkens them. When driving in the mountains in the dark, I can turn down the instrument lights and the touchscreen, but the headlight and ADAS indicator behind the wheel and the airbag warnings up top are blinding. I jam a napkin in there which dims it enough but still lets me see that I have the brights on. My FJ Cruiser has a little wheel that adjusts the brightness of everything. Barring that, a diffuser screen that covered the idiot light panel would be nice.

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
(I'm a software engineering executive, so I have spent a lot of time finding root cause on bugs. I don't really know how to turn off that part of my brain. So this might sound OCD.)

I get Android Auto disconnects. I notice they will happen at exactly the same place on certain roads. When the map zooms out as my speed increases that sometimes triggers it. Also, lane departure warning causes the audio to drop volume, presumably so you can hear the bong. But the drop in volume happens even if you turn off lane departure warning. That audio drop often causes an Android disconnect. Finally, when cell reception drops or comes back it can drop Android Auto. Each of these are times that the infotainment is externally futzing with the hosted Android software. It's probably timing out because it's dropping heartbeats or acks while doing that. Going up to the ski hill makes it almost impossible to listen to my podcasts because of the speed changes, bad lane lines, and cell reception.

I think you can turn down the volume on the bongs, right? At least I seem to recall having found this setting.

I'd love an after market solution for the idiot lights that darkens them. When driving in the mountains in the dark, I can turn down the instrument lights and the touchscreen, but the headlight and ADAS indicator behind the wheel and the airbag warnings up top are blinding. I jam a napkin in there which dims it enough but still lets me see that I have the brights on. My FJ Cruiser has a little wheel that adjusts the brightness of everything. Barring that, a diffuser screen that covered the idiot light panel would be nice.
I also noticed that if I operate an another function when the phone is getting connected it can send it into a tizzy. Like hitting the fav button to disable speed warnings. If I try and do that why the phone is getting settled that creates a skism. I also see issues when the map is zooming around a lot it also craps out, especially at speed when you are trying to figure out which lane at a busy exit!

I turned off the speed sensitive volume function. That fixed a few things. I've also had the iPhone connect over bluetooth when CarPlay has failed, and then I have to go and manually turn that off and reconnect to CarPlay. If it refuses to connect to my phone I've found that if I connect to the wife's phone and then back to mine it works.

Finally, when using On X Offroad the screen flickers. It seems when using some non native or perhaps non big budget corporation apps, there are some gremlins. On X support is non-existent btw. Buyer beware, or just accept you need Garmin Tread for Offroad nav.

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:02 PM
Reaction score

Poke around - someone did find a film to overlay the over the screen behind the steering wheel.

Local time
12:02 PM
Reaction score
OnX will flicker if your zoomed in too close as it will not keep up as your driving . Zoom out a notch....

GN4HIR

Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
If you have a larger / heavier tyre on the rear door, or a bin bag full of something heavy it will cause the rear door warning to momentarily chime over bumps.
Awesome.. I was wondering what was causing it.. it was just occasional. Big bump, big bong. Is there any adjustment that can be made to the latching / sensor?

nodric

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I thought I'd drop a quick update on the On X software. They confirmed it is a bug and they are working to resolve it. They refunded my subscription, gave me a full years premium subscription for free, and said they were working on the fix. No further updates for the last month or so.

Back
Top Bottom