The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Battery discharge

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:05 AM
Reaction score
I have just the single battery and noticed that after a couple of days camping that the battery was down to 53%.

I didn't take any power from the vehicle, maybe opened the doors about 10 times per day. The internal light was set Auto off.

It would have been good to have had some kind of mode that didn't turn a load of things on when the doors opened.

I didn't want to give up that storage space under the rear seat, but I suppose a second battery is on the shopping list.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have just the single battery and noticed that after a couple of days camping that the battery was down to 53%.

I didn't take any power from the vehicle, maybe opened the doors about 10 times per day. The internal light was set Auto off.

It would have been good to have had some kind of mode that didn't turn a load of things on when the doors opened.

I didn't want to give up that storage space under the rear seat, but I suppose a second battery is on the shopping list.
Opening and closing the doors whilst pulling power on other system activations and if you are locking or using the remote as that puts the lights on and also activates the horn.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

Maybe a portable power station for camping and a Noco battery starter in case you flatten the battery for longer camping trips.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Maybe a portable power station for camping and a Noco battery starter in case you flatten the battery for longer camping trips.
I do always carry a battery starter just in case, the portable power station is perhaps a better solution than filling the vehicle up with batteries!

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I do always carry a battery starter just in case, the portable power station is perhaps a better solution than filling the vehicle up with batteries!
Portable power station such as Ecoflow or a Bluetti with solar panels is the way forward in my opinion.

AWo

Local time
2:05 AM
Reaction score
I would use a condensator-based external starter.

Why?

You do not need to keep it loaded. You can carry it years in your car without taking care about. As long as your car battery has 3 Volts left, which is really low and the battery is crap then, this thing works.

AWo

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Portable power station such as Ecoflow or a Bluetti with solar panels is the way forward in my opinion.
I do keep looking at these and similar from Jackaray and Renology. It all looks great kit.
I need to justify the price of these (not to anyone else, just me!) Or maybe just think about it long enough.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I would use a condensator-based external starter.

Why?

You do not need to keep it loaded. You can carry it years in your car without taking care about. As long as your car battery has 3 Volts left, which is really low and the battery is crap then, this thing works.

AWo
Hi @AWo. What is a condensator - based external starter? Is this the same as a Noco-boost type jump starter. 🤔

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Those types are effectively just a big capacitor which can get a charge from even a depleted battery. This charge is then used as short burst to start the engine.
The conventional type has a lithium battery which can give a short boost to a flat battery.
The capacitive type has several advantages, primarily it doesn't need to be kept charged. Double the price of course.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Those types are effectively just a big capacitor which can get a charge from even a depleted battery. This charge is then used as short burst to start the engine.
The conventional type has a lithium battery which can give a short boost to a flat battery.
The capacitive type has several advantages, primarily it doesn't need to be kept charged. Double the price of course.
My lithium-based one (CrankAgain+) bloated after 3 years, breaking the cover...I get rid of it, feared that it starts to burn....

Now I use the Kunzer one.

AWo

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. I spoke to a Defender tdci owner yesterday and they had used a jump starter on his extremely depleted battery and it destroyed some component but he didn’t say which type of modern jump starter he used either lithium nocoboost type o capacitor type

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
When you jump start with a second car the electronics on the source generator can be damaged....many say let the engine idle or give it some more revs to support the source battery, but that could lead to a broken regulator. That happens, when too much power is pulled.

Have in mind, when you start your car, the generator is not running, as well. So you don't need that.

AWo

Aussie Battler

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:05 AM
Reaction score

As you know every time you open a door the whole car comes alive including all of the computers ,my freelander hand book suggest that if you are camped for a long period of time leave a door open if possible rather than several open and closes during the day also carried an aux battery similar to the kick ass

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks. I spoke to a Defender tdci owner yesterday and they had used a jump starter on his extremely depleted battery and it destroyed some component but he didn’t say which type of modern jump starter he used either lithium nocoboost type o capacitor type
I’ve been told you should always charge or jump start directly from the charge points in the engine bay and not directly on the battery. This may be the difference.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve been told you should always charge or jump start directly from the charge points in the engine bay and not directly on the battery. This may be the difference.
Charging directly to the battery there is the risk of sparks causing explosion with gasses from the battery I think.

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:05 PM
Reaction score
When you jump start with a second car the electronics on the source generator can be damaged....many say let the engine idle or give it some more revs to support the source battery, but that could lead to a broken regulator. That happens, when too much power is pulled.

Have in mind, when you start your car, the generator is not running, as well. So you don't need that.

AWo
In light of this possibility of damage to the electrics of the source car, would it be safer to use the jumper cables to only (albeit slowly) recharge the other car’s dead battery before entirely disconnecting the cables and allowing the now recharged battery to start the engine?

Back
Top Bottom