The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

battery charge limitation

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
Bonjour,
Depuis que j'ai connecté le CTEK conformément aux spécifications du fabricant, la batterie principale se recharge à 100 % en quelques dizaines de km. Je reviens de 15 jours au Maroc et 3500 km sur place. Tous les soirs, la batterie principale était à 100 % ce qui permettait d'envisager la décharge dans la nuit (de 15 à 18 % selon les nuits) avec sérénité. Nous n'avons jamais eu de problème de démarrage.

Le lien ci-après sur le forum explique le raccordement du fil rouge du CTEK au fil jaune présent dans le local batterie et raccordé au contact véhicule.

Au bivouac, chaque fois que l'on ouvre une porte du véhicule, le tableau de bord s'active, les éclairages de seuil également. Chaque ouverture de la porte arrière déclenche l'éclairage du coffre même si la commande de l'éclairage intérieur est sur Off. Ce fonctionnement devrait être modifié par INEOS car consommateur d'énergie sur la batterie principale. Nous avons également détecté qu'à l'ouverture des portes le matin, la batterie seondaire recharge la batterie principale (12,5 Volts au voltmètre à l'ouverture des portes et 12,6 Volts quelques instants après).

Le Grenadier est équipé d'un "smart alternateur" ou Alternateur intelligent comme tous les véhicules Euro6. Pour le vérifier, il suffit de mettre l'affichage sur "Mode Off Road" puis "Electricité". En phase d'accélération, la tension de charge affichée est de 14,2 Volts. En phase de décélération, en l'absence de sollicitation du moteur, la tension de charge affichée passe à 14,7 / 14,8 Volts pendant un cours instant. C'est une forme de récupération d'énergie. Lorsque le moteur n'est pas sollicité, la puissance sert à recharger les batteries.
1716310299011.jpg
1716310326026.jpg

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
I may have posted this in the wrong place the other day, some basic BMW chraging info.
Due to the lack of current technical and electrical information and the amount of battery and charging comments on multiple forums I have added some older BMW Intelligent alternator control information from 2006 and the Bimmerpost forum. Looking at the document and reading some of the comments this appears to be the relevant to the Grenadier as an explanation of the charging system and may help with understanding the system better. There would be some changes to the system over time but that would be limited to software and electronic circuit board upgrades leaving the basic mechanical components and charging wiring unchanged.

Whoa, very helpful. Thank you for posting!

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour,
Depuis que j'ai connecté le CTEK conformément aux spécifications du fabricant, la batterie principale se recharge à 100 % en quelques dizaines de km. Je reviens de 15 jours au Maroc et 3500 km sur place. Tous les soirs, la batterie principale était à 100 % ce qui permettait d'envisager la décharge dans la nuit (de 15 à 18 % selon les nuits) avec sérénité. Nous n'avons jamais eu de problème de démarrage.

Le lien ci-après sur le forum explique le raccordement du fil rouge du CTEK au fil jaune présent dans le local batterie et raccordé au contact véhicule.

Au bivouac, chaque fois que l'on ouvre une porte du véhicule, le tableau de bord s'active, les éclairages de seuil également. Chaque ouverture de la porte arrière déclenche l'éclairage du coffre même si la commande de l'éclairage intérieur est sur Off. Ce fonctionnement devrait être modifié par INEOS car consommateur d'énergie sur la batterie principale. Nous avons également détecté qu'à l'ouverture des portes le matin, la batterie seondaire recharge la batterie principale (12,5 Volts au voltmètre à l'ouverture des portes et 12,6 Volts quelques instants après).

Le Grenadier est équipé d'un "smart alternateur" ou Alternateur intelligent comme tous les véhicules Euro6. Pour le vérifier, il suffit de mettre l'affichage sur "Mode Off Road" puis "Electricité". En phase d'accélération, la tension de charge affichée est de 14,2 Volts. En phase de décélération, en l'absence de sollicitation du moteur, la tension de charge affichée passe à 14,7 / 14,8 Volts pendant un cours instant. C'est une forme de récupération d'énergie. Lorsque le moteur n'est pas sollicité, la puissance sert à recharger les batteries.
View attachment 7857545
View attachment 7857546
What I presume is happening here is that the D250SE is taking the helm in terms of battery management versus the intelligent alternator, which would otherwise hold the SoC at <100% so that fuel consumption can be reduced…?

Ce que je présume qu'il se passe ici, c'est que le D250SE prend la barre en termes de gestion de la batterie par rapport à l'alternateur intelligent, qui maintiendrait autrement le SoC à <100 % afin que la consommation de carburant puisse être réduite...?

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
Is it safe to assume that those without the factory dual battery system do not have the Smatpass? I wonder how their charging profiles look?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is it safe to assume that those without the factory dual battery system do not have the Smatpass? I wonder how their charging profiles look?
I think all models have the SMARTPASS 120S, but I have a dual battery setup.

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:26 AM
Reaction score
I think all models have the SMARTPASS 120S, but I have a dual battery setup.
I have the dual battery setup with the smartpass. I can see no reason why there would be a smartpass installed with a single battery setup, as the smart alternator would handle the charging profile of the starter battery. Happy to be educated on this one.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have the dual battery setup with the smartpass. I can see no reason why there would be a smartpass installed with a single battery setup, as the smart alternator would handle the charging profile of the starter battery. Happy to be educated on this one.
It will be influenced by accessories choice as well, aux high power, dual battery and winch should all have a 120S.

Come on those owners with a single battery, does it have a 120S by default?

Korg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:26 PM
Reaction score
Just to throw some additional observations into the mix: Prior to connecting the smart alternator wire to the aux battery (it was disconnected at delivery) I was sitting normally at about 93% overnight. If I had been opening and closing doors multiple times this could drop to 84%. I make a habit now of leaving a door open continuously if doing a car pack so as not to cause the computers to needlessly wake up. I also turn off the auto door lights and all accessories. Further to connecting the smart alternator wire I have seen charge levels of 100% several times after long highway runs even when running a fridge in the back.

nuclearmonkey

Grenadier Ordered
Local time
4:26 AM
Reaction score
And with the single battery setup, I'm assuming you can still monitor battery percentage in off-road mode? How has the charging profile been?

Thank you for chiming in!!

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
And with the single battery setup, I'm assuming you can still monitor battery percentage in off-road mode? How has the charging profile been?

Yes single battery setup can monitor the battery. Profile hovers around 80 percent. Odd occasion long drives will get above 90. I learnt if you open the boot, the interior light will turn itself off eventually and not wake up the computers. Opening and closing doors will annoyingly wake up the infotainment screen and drain the battery. One of the reasons why opening and closing doors wakes up the computers is that it primes the fuel pump for starting the engine.

We can get fixated with the percentage on the screen. I try and ignore it now and purchased myself a battery jump start pack to put in the boot in case of accidentally running down the battery whilst camping.

On my daughters mini, I charged it up 1 week ago. (AGM battery, smart alternator, etc). I went and put it on a Ctek charger yesterday and battery was at 50%. I would never of known as there is no battery monitor. So it’s completely normal.

I am sure the smart alternator or battery has a low voltage warning to allow enough juice to start the car. Well I hope it does.

Mohs 9

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:26 AM
Reaction score
My typical SoC if in the low 70ties %. Above 70% SoC the charging rate is 1-2 A only. Below 70% SoC - when the numbers are amber - the charging rate is 2 digits, say 10-20 A. Don't remember exactly the threshold for the red numbers (was is 60% SoC?), but then the charging rate goes goes well up above the 50ties A.
I get a SoC above 80% only when using an external battery charger.
Loss when not in use: I recently came back from a 18 days holiday w/o the Grenny. SoC was 66% afterwards. So no problem with self discharge, But my model does not have an alarm system which might consume some power during idle times.

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:26 PM
Reaction score
My typical SoC if in the low 70ties %. Above 70% SoC the charging rate is 1-2 A only. Below 70% SoC - when the numbers are amber - the charging rate is 2 digits, say 10-20 A. Don't remember exactly the threshold for the red numbers (was is 60% SoC?), but then the charging rate goes goes well up above the 50ties A.
I get a SoC above 80% only when using an external battery charger.
Loss when not in use: I recently came back from a 18 days holiday w/o the Grenny. SoC was 66% afterwards. So no problem with self discharge, But my model does not have an alarm system which might consume some power during idle times.
These figures are almost identical to mine after some monitoring. Yes the red level is 60% SOC, and charge rate can be around 6-8 amps (after peak currents) but I’m still mystified that even with lowish SOC the current in is nearly always around 2amps.
Like you I carry a starter pack in case of emergency.
I intend to add a solar blanket to the accessories soon and am keen to see if this in any way gets the SOC to rise above 73% 🤷🏼‍♂️
In the meantime Shitake has never failed to start yet so who really cares 🤷🏼‍♂️
This is a VERY early vin and was used for extensive early promotions here in NZ so I’ve had various concerns over the last two months 🤔
Was kinda forced into buying a demo as had a pre booked holiday and the deal seemed to fit 😁👍🏼

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
These figures are almost identical to mine after some monitoring. Yes the red level is 60% SOC, and charge rate can be around 6-8 amps (after peak currents) but I’m still mystified that even with lowish SOC the current in is nearly always around 2amps.
Like you I carry a starter pack in case of emergency.
I intend to add a solar blanket to the accessories soon and am keen to see if this in any way gets the SOC to rise above 73% 🤷🏼‍♂️
In the meantime Shitake has never failed to start yet so who really cares 🤷🏼‍♂️
This is a VERY early vin and was used for extensive early promotions here in NZ so I’ve had various concerns over the last two months 🤔
Was kinda forced into buying a demo as had a pre booked holiday and the deal seemed to fit 😁👍🏼
Hi @Karearea have you tried doing some maintenance charges with a good quality smart trickle charger. I swear by giving batteries a monthly maintenance charge
I have a Victron bluesmart 12/30 permanently mounted in my Grenadier so I just have to plug a mains lead in.
We have a few Ctek smart chargers for equipment at work and they are also very good.

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Hi @Karearea have you tried doing some maintenance charges with a good quality smart trickle charger. I swear by giving batteries a monthly maintenance charge
I have a Victron bluesmart 12/30 permanently mounted in my Grenadier so I just have to plug a mains lead in.
We have a few Ctek smart chargers for equipment at work and they are also very good.
Thanks for the advice Logsplitter I will get onto this. To be honest I was aiming to do this with my solar blanket if it got the result I was after. Just haven’t twisted my own arm to spend the cash yet😆. We get so ripped off down here. I found one in the UK I liked for £35 but the shipping fee they wanted was an extra £70 🤦‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
I’ll try and harden up! After all it’s a drop in the ocean compared to other stuff I’ve bought for Shitake. 🙄

Karearea

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Logsplitter I will get onto this. To be honest I was aiming to do this with my solar blanket if it got the result I was after. Just haven’t twisted my own arm to spend the cash yet😆. We get so ripped off down here. I found one in the UK I liked for £35 but the shipping fee they wanted was an extra £70 🤦‍♂️🤷🏼‍♂️
I’ll try and harden up! After all it’s a drop in the ocean compared to other stuff I’ve bought for Shitake. 🙄
Edit…
I’m actually a little nervous about taking the batteries out for a maintenance charge due to possible software issues when reconnecting 🤦‍♂️

bakepl

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Edit…
I’m actually a little nervous about taking the batteries out for a maintenance charge due to possible software issues when reconnecting 🤦‍♂️
If concerned when removing your start battery, perhaps consider placing 12v to the jump start points under the bonnet via your small starter pack or other 12v battery.

255/85

Grenadier Ordered
Forum Donor
Local time
1:26 AM
Reaction score

Single battery. No Smartpass. No high Load Auxiliary Panel. SoC is usually at 99% at the end of modest drives as verified in vehicle settings and in the Offroad panel. Declines about 1% per 24 hour period when not being driven but I haven't been monitoring it much since the battery recovered from its journey to North America and from sitting on the dealer's lot for a month. <1500 miles on the odometer.

EDIT: The vehicle just returned from a 20 mile round trip - mostly highway. SoC 100% while parked and idling (turbo cool down). Voltage 14.3 with engine on.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom