The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Petrol/Gas B58 Overheat at Highway (Motorway) Speed

samnt650

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:52 PM
Reaction score
Wondering anyone encountered this issue, and what was your resolution? Truck currently with the dealer. Milage = apx 9000 miles. Coolant level - normal. Off-road vehicle - yes and wash all radiators after each outing.

IMG_6503.jpg

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
That’s not normal at all unless perhaps you were towing in the mountains with a big load. Perhaps the valve is defective - the one that cuts coolant flow when vehicle is first warming up. I’m surprised you are seeing this with the b58.

Last edited:

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:52 PM
Reaction score
You posted this on Facebook about 3 days ago. Do you have an appointment for the dealer?

AWo

Local time
10:52 PM
Reaction score
If it is Farenheit it is about 130° C and that is normal. Engine coolant temperatures operates between 110 and 140° C. With a coolant mixture of 1:1 the boiling point is about 109° C at 1 bar air pressure. As the coolant system is like a steamer, the boiling point increases, allowing for such temperatures. Do not open the cooling circuit as long as it is under pressure. It is dangerous for you and the coolant can start to boil immediately.

If it is Celsius, than your engine is already crap.

AWo

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
6:52 AM
Reaction score
Wondering anyone encountered this issue, and what was your resolution? Truck currently with the dealer. Milage = apx 9000 miles. Coolant level - normal. Off-road vehicle - yes and wash all radiators after each outing.

View attachment 7867127
Did the vehicle alarm you?

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

View attachment 7867127
Mine is B58 motor and I never noticed a higher temperature than 90° Celsius (194 Fahrenheit), even in the mountains or off-road, therefore I would say: not normal. Not that I am looking the whole time at the temperature, but I would have noticed if it came that high.

AWo

Local time
Reaction score
Please take the surrounding conditions into account. It is possible, that you did never reach the upper limit or even come close to it. It also depends on the driving style, the revs you're in,the load etc.

AWo

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Even with plain water , it won't boil until 120C (248F)
Coolant allows an extra margin.
It's helpful to know the conditions under which the OPs' temperature reading was obtained.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:52 PM
Reaction score
Mine is B58 motor and I never noticed a higher temperature than 90° Celsius (194 Fahrenheit), even in the mountains or off-road, therefore I would say: not normal. Not that I am looking the whole time at the temperature, but I would have noticed if it came that high.
Mine's a diesel and sits at 90 C all day, whether solo, heavy towing, uphill and down dale, even heavy towing going steep uphill it still sits at 90 C. That said the heater gives out more heat when working hard.

Catpaw4x4

GG 4101
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Even with plain water , it won't boil until 120C (248F)
Coolant allows an extra margin.
It's helpful to know the conditions under which the OPs' temperature reading was obtained.
Water boiling is 100C and 212F at standard see pressure - drops to 200 with >5000ft altitude. Are you saying coolant allows for the 120C/248F?
Cheers!

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Water boiling is 100C and 212F at standard see pressure - drops to 200 with >5000ft altitude. Are you saying coolant allows for the 120C/248F?
Cheers!
No it's the pressure in the system that increases the boiling point. Special coolant ("antifreeze") also raises the BP , somewhat.

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I agree with all the technical explanations here, but I think we should compare a Grenadier with another Grenadier.

I have driven in almost all conditions, cold, hot, mountain, flat, heavy loaded, unloaded, motorways (in Germany at 140 km/h for hours ;) ), ordinary ways, using diff locks, mud, gravel, ....
40000 km: never seen the temperature that @samnt650 shows.
@Eric seems to confirm my statement: 90°C.

Therefore three possibilities, in my humble opinion:
  1. software bug
  2. temperature probe defective
  3. cooling system doesn't work as should be
Unless @samnt650 was doing really weird things with his car, but from his post, I would think "no".

[EDITED]
Look also at this picture posted some hours ago:

Or this one:

Or this one:
Or this one:

(I stop here)

Last edited:

samnt650

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
UPDATE #1 - RDS (my dealer in US_PA) is in talk with UK HQ engineering. They have not seen this condition before...
Worth noting >> Both transmission & transfer case temperatures were stable, within normal operating range when water temp peak

Last edited:

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
How long did you drive for with the temps over normal?

samnt650

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Since delivery (Dec 2023) I have drive at least dozen off-road events. I washed off the mud/sand after each outing. July/Aug outing was the first observation where high engine temp at highway speed and the truck has been in with the dealer/agent since.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Since delivery (Dec 2023) I have drive at least dozen off-road events. I washed off the mud/sand after each outing. July/Aug outing was the first observation where high engine temp at highway speed and the truck has been in with the dealer/agent since.
Interesting, so it started while off road?? I'm assuming it drove home at a higher than normal coolant temperature? and then was towed to the dealer?

Also, any further updates from RDS on what actually failed? or what they are replacing?

samnt650

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Correction.. was on my way home from the outting. The high temp appeared while driving at highway speed. Temp drop to normal as soon as I slow down (and practically craw its way home...) Truck was in normal temp range while off roading (water, transfer case, transmission)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom