The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General B57 Trying to run out of fuel - first try, unsuccessful

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
7:41 AM
Reaction score
It's good to know the limits of the car, whatever they are. But it is a bit uncomfortable to find out.

I once topped up my Grenadier with Diesel to 96 Liters. And it wasn't completely empty before. However, the Diesel level was after topping up at the upper edge of the filler neck.

I can not recommend to do this and then just park somewhere as some drops of diesel will leak through the tank ventilation / overflow: The fuel comes out of the earth tank at maybe 15°C and quickly warms up in the tank, and thus expands.

But when I tried this I was about to start for a trip and thus had no issues and no leaking fuel. I guess, that - according to what I believe what was still in the tank before - the volume is around 100 Liters.

But you can not really make use of it, except if you drive until the engine shuts down - which is no good for the lubrication (... at 2000 bars!).

In airplanes, we have two different measures for fuel: "tank capacity" to calculate your weight and balance and "usable fuel" to calculate your airplane endurance*). That's how I see it for the Grenadier as well and I estimate the Grenadiers "usable fuel" to be 90 liters.

*) "Endurance" differs from "range" in that endurance tells you how long you can fly at a particular speed - but, due to wind, not how far.

Last edited:

LeeroyJ

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:41 AM
Reaction score
I wrote about my experience running out of fuel in my petrol Grenadier in this thread. I'm not sure how much of this is applicable to the B57.

Back
Top Bottom