The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Auxiliary Battery

BigJock2024

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
7:42 AM
Reaction score
I am looking at two models right now... yes, I am approaching "buy mode" very cautiously, still not happy with the price.
Can anyone give me an opinion on whether the price difference (around £4.5k) is justified for a factory-fitted winch and auxiliary battery, rather than choosing and fitting an aftermarket at leisure?
Both models have the high-load electrics fitted, so it would only be the battery and dual charging system to fit, which I've done before. The winch isn't really even necessary, it would be total and utter pose value, although I would find something to drag with it for sure, like the bin maybe if it was really full.
Thanks
Jock

Lars

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
Only reason for my dual battery was because I camp off-grid for several days at time while running a refrigerator, solar charger, lights, etc.. I wanted to protected the starting battery from discharge. Otherwise it's not needed.
I purchased the factory winch because I liked the idea it was fully integrated into the vehicle right out of the box. It seems there is an expanding aftermarket of parts that I didn't expect so soon. If you don't need the winch, don't buy it. You can add it later.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
8:42 AM
Reaction score
Of all my extras, the second battery is the one I question the most today.

INEOS hasn't published how it's wired and has even worsened the installation I had when I bought the car: the CTek 120SE has disappeared and instead they've fitted a nameless replacement with a crippled output.

But I think if you spec a winch from INEOS you have to have a second battery but I'm not sure. If not, I would install a second battery myself and wire it correctly together with the CTek devices such an installation deserves.

One thing is for sure: the INEOS installation appears to be having trouble charging the battery(s) to a reasonable state. Mine is sometimes below 70% without having any additional load on board. No auxiliary heating, no fridge, nothing. And although the generator is capable of charging the batteries from 70% to 100% in perhaps an hour or less, this does not happen.

In my opinion, INEOS' dual battery concept is broken, or at least not what it should be.

The winch: The factory installed winch is not for posers: you can't see it when not in use. Personally, I like this as I prefer an inconspicuous appearance.

So if you want a visible winch, go for an aftermarket solution.

Last edited:

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
4:42 PM
Reaction score
Only reason for my dual battery was because I camp off-grid for several days at time while running a refrigerator, solar charger, lights, etc.. I wanted to protected the starting battery from discharge. Otherwise it's not needed.
I purchased the factory winch because I liked the idea it was fully integrated into the vehicle right out of the box. It seems there is an expanding aftermarket of parts that I didn't expect so soon. If you don't need the winch, don't buy it. You can add it later.
I chose the front tow hitch because I didn't want the winch now but choosing the front tow hitch puts all the wiring and flip up number plate in place.
View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/m-HwP35Nfkw

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:42 AM
Reaction score
It’s my understanding that including the winch and dual battery at time of order will allow you have an increased payload than if it were done aftermarket. This is because the weight of these items is calculated in and adjusts the springs/suspension to accommodate the extra weight giving the vehicle the same payload as if it were not spec’d originally. Thus giving you “extra payload”.

GrenTek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It’s my understanding that including the winch and dual battery at time of order will allow you have an increased payload than if it were done aftermarket. This is because the weight of these items is calculated in and adjusts the springs/suspension to accommodate the extra weight giving the vehicle the same payload as if it were not spec’d originally. Thus giving you “extra payload”.
There are different springs spec'd for winch vs. non-winch vehicles. In fact, there are 4 different front spring options alone. However, they do not change the payload of the vehicle.

dreamalaska

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:42 PM
Reaction score

INEOS hasn't published how it's wired and has even worsened the installation I had when I bought the car: the CTek 120SE has disappeared and instead they've fitted a nameless replacement with a crippled output.

But I think if you spec a winch from INEOS you have to have a second battery but I'm not sure. If not, I would install a second battery myself and wire it correctly together with the CTek devices such an installation deserves.

One thing is for sure: the INEOS installation appears to be having trouble charging the battery(s) to a reasonable state. Mine is sometimes below 70% without having any additional load on board. No auxiliary heating, no fridge, nothing. And although the generator is capable of charging the batteries from 70% to 100% in perhaps an hour or less, this does not happen.

In my opinion, INEOS' dual battery concept is broken, or at least not what it should be.

The winch: The factory installed winch is not for posers: you can't see it when not in use. Personally, I like this as I prefer an inconspicuous appearance.

Ineos no longer mounts the CTek 120SE? Argh 😠

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
Agree 100%. Less is more.
And if I hit a large animal , there's less chance of ruining the winch.

AngusMacG

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
There are different springs spec'd for winch vs. non-winch vehicles. In fact, there are 4 different front spring options alone. However, they do not change the payload of the vehicle.
Correct the payloads are the same but once you add a winch after the fact your available payload decreases by the weight of the winch.

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
11:42 PM
Reaction score
So you do not need the second battery if you order the winch but the aux panel is required. The extra battery is required if you add the power take off, or for rest of the world inverter. It just doesn't sound as cool
Power take off! ooooooh, say it again.

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:42 PM
Reaction score
The extra battery is required if you add the power take off, or for rest of the world inverter. It just doesn't sound as cool
Power take off! ooooooh, say it again.
THE ROW uses this for power take off!
deb2aaf14994b654e077f62039edc6b4.jpg

Ragman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:42 AM
Reaction score

What is the nameless replacement?

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
It is a Ctek 120 without the consumer output Ineos installs now. Ctek write their name on it no longer, it is just a nameless black box with the impression of the old one.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Not only do they not any more install the CTek 120 but they even replace existing ones with the noname cheapo version upon an inspection or if they carry out some 'campaign'.

Without further notice to their customer. :mad:

beg

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
when did they start doing that ? i better check mine as i was in for service last month .. can someone post a pic of the new one .

Last edited:

WhiteBear

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My car was built Juli 2023 and it has the unnamed Ctek.
At least since then they remove the original Ctek 120 whenever the car goes for maintainance to a dealer or workshop - mostly, not always. 🙄

BigJock2024

Grenadier Owner
Forum Donor
Local time
Reaction score
I chose the front tow hitch because I didn't want the winch now but choosing the front tow hitch puts all the wiring and flip up number plate in place.
View: https://www.youtube.com/shorts/m-HwP35Nfkw
Thanks, that's interesting.
So there's no wiring to the front if you don't pick the winch option (obviously) or the tow hitch?
I could select the tow hitch just to get the wiring and install my own winch at a later date?
The winch just isn't really needed for me - worst case I have a 5T steel cable ratchet winch I can carry, but it would be good to have wiring up there for auxiliaries and other funny things.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks, that's interesting.
So there's no wiring to the front if you don't pick the winch option (obviously) or the tow hitch?
I could select the tow hitch just to get the wiring and install my own winch at a later date?
The winch just isn't really needed for me - worst case I have a 5T steel cable ratchet winch I can carry, but it would be good to have wiring up there for auxiliaries and other funny things.
The hi-load aux switches should have the wiring as well.

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour à tous.
J'ai également des problèmes de décharge rapide de la batterie principale.
La batterie est passée de 96 % de charge affichée à 68 % après trois jours sans rouler.

Par ailleurs, le boitier de couplage entre la batterie principale (CTEK) a le voyant jaune qui s'allume et s'éteint de façon périodique alors que le contact est coupé.
Il est étonnant que le système de couplage des batteries reste actif alors que le contact est coupé et que l'alternateur ne charge pas.

1713018178160.jpg

Attachments

• 20240413_085746_68 %.jpg
    20240413_085746_68 %.jpg
    176.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 20240413_151629_CTEK.jpg
    20240413_151629_CTEK.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 40
  • 20240413_152812_CTEK.jpg
    20240413_152812_CTEK.jpg
    272.5 KB · Views: 42
Back