The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Apple IOS 17.4 CarPlay update

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
9:14 AM
Reaction score
So here’s a question about CarPlay. In my truck it connects perfectly every time. When both my wife and I are in the truck with our phones it will connect to her phone. The “Device” tab on the main menu is replaced by “Apple CarPlay”. I can’t figure out a way to be able to switch from her phone to mine once hers has connected. Any suggestions?
We also have 3 iphones connected. Somewhere in the Settings menu, they are displayed one below the other. You can then select them there. I don't have my Grenadier nearby at the moment, otherwise I would send you a photo. Maybe someone can help you faster. If not, send me a pm as a reminder. I'll reply as soon as I have access to the vehicle.

Voader - Oudersopzwier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
3:14 PM
Reaction score
So here’s a question about CarPlay. In my truck it connects perfectly every time. When both my wife and I are in the truck with our phones it will connect to her phone. The “Device” tab on the main menu is replaced by “Apple CarPlay”. I can’t figure out a way to be able to switch from her phone to mine once hers has connected. Any suggestions?
In the settings, you can select the device. There you select which phone goes to the apple CarPlay (first choice on the screen), or which phone is just connected by Bluetooth for handsfree calling etc… (second choice on the screen)

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:14 PM
Reaction score
I'm on android auto and had exactly the same problem. I'm not at my vehicle at the moment, but it is there in settings. Before you check your vehicle again make sure your settings in your phone are set up right. (That was the root cause of my problem always picking the wife's phone the vehicle was deciding the phone connection to the wife and not mine). As I say I'm on android auto and not iPhone, I expect there are similar option in the phone setup though. Go into the CarPlay app, then settings. There should be an option to start CarPlay automatically ( my default setting was car to decide. Change that to auto.
Then go to the settings menu in the car and you should be able to select your phone. Now the grenadier will always select CarPlay for the last phone that was on use. If that isn't available it will reset to the one that is present

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Have you tried doing a hard reset on your Iphone, (not just turning it off and on again), I had the same issue not long after getting the Grenadier and this resolved it.
John - I did not do this at the dealers but suspected they tried everything. I just did. Hard reset twice; once in ACC mode and another with engine running. I still only get three out of four - phone/bluetooth/music but no CarPlay. I’ll call them this week and see what the fix will be.

No downside really as I have a good phone mount and can receive calls. I just wish I could use a few Nav apps and Spotify.

JohnHeagney

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
John - I did not do this at the dealers but suspected they tried everything. I just did. Hard reset twice; once in ACC mode and another with engine running. I still only get three out of four - phone/bluetooth/music but no CarPlay. I’ll call them this week and see what the fix will be.

No downside really as I have a good phone mount and can receive calls. I just wish I could use a few Nav apps and Spotify.
Very strange, I hope they get it fixed for you!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Not Apple but Android: Doesn't work at all with my Grenadier, SW ...1946, VIN above ...5900.

Android Version: 14
Smartphone: Google Pixel 7

More than Google and Android 14 is with respect to compatibility hardly possible. That smells a lot like another INEOS incompetence. Even if they did not write the software - it's finally their product.

Imagine a Volkswagen or Merc encountered such problems: Nobody would have any mercy on the car maker, no matter who did the programming.
I must correct myself.

There's a silent culprit that wasn't on my radar: the cable.

The so-called “Universal Serial Bus” is anything but universal. Today's USB-C cables and plugs are sometimes used for data, sometimes for high-current charging, sometimes for both. This bus is simply subject to too many specifications that establish the so-called USB "standard".

Knowing this, I had purchased a USB cable that, according to the advertised specification, meets the highest USB standards. Like most of these things it was made in China and apparently this cable is a fake.

Today I tested the connection to the Grenadier again with a different cable and suddenly everything worked like magic.

So if you have similar problems: don't trust your cable. 👿

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I must correct myself.

There's a silent culprit that wasn't on my radar: the cable.

The so-called “Universal Serial Bus” is anything but universal. Today's USB-C cables and plugs are sometimes used for data, sometimes for high-current charging, sometimes for both. This bus is simply subject to too many specifications that establish the so-called USB "standard".

Knowing this, I had purchased a USB cable that, according to the advertised specification, meets the highest USB standards. Like most of these things it was made in China and apparently this cable is a fake.

Today I tested the connection to the Grenadier again with a different cable and suddenly everything worked like magic.

So if you have similar problems: don't trust your cable. 👿
That's good you found the problem. If you're on short journeys and don't need phone charging I recommend getting a wireless dongle with android then just keep your phone in your pocket. Saves the need for reliance on a cable. I'm really impressed with wireless android Auto connect range.

gkhaldi

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My CarPlay does not work, at all. The dealer had it Monday afternoon and could not resolve it. My phone connects to the Gren, I can make/receive calls, play music, but CarPlay App access does not function. The dealer kicked this up to IA and I am still waiting for an action plan.
I’ve had this issue as well. Solved it as follows => delete the connection from the car unit. Do the same on your iPhone. Restart iPhone. Do the pairing with the car again and allow for CarPlay functionality (it will ask for it on the car’s unit. It’ll work afterwards.

The trick is in the iPhone reboot. I’ve found out that the iPhone thinks it’s connected via CarPlay but the unit doesn’t recognize the data send. After the iPhone reboot, the connection string is being reset automatically. It’s just a sw bug ;)

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My iphone connects to the Gren everytime wirelessly when I start the car. However, if I leave the vicinity of the car while it's running and then return the Apple carplay is lost. Anyone know a quick way of reconnecting other than turning the phone on/off. I've tried toggling bluetooth and wifi on/off and also plugging the cable in but it doesn't seem to work. I think the phone or the car still think they are connected but not showing as such.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I’ve had this issue as well. Solved it as follows => delete the connection from the car unit. Do the same on your iPhone. Restart iPhone. Do the pairing with the car again and allow for CarPlay functionality (it will ask for it on the car’s unit. It’ll work afterwards.

The trick is in the iPhone reboot. I’ve found out that the iPhone thinks it’s connected via CarPlay but the unit doesn’t recognize the data send. After the iPhone reboot, the connection string is being reset automatically. It’s just a sw bug ;)
I tried this after @JohnHeagney posted the same technique - still no CarPlay.

Drausch1976

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Thanks, but it is a confirmed dead CarPlay connection. The dealer could not get any iOS phone to connect. Neither could I. We’ll see what IA comes up with…
I have same issue. My CarPlay has t worked since I picked up my vehicle on 1/13.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
My iphone connects to the Gren everytime wirelessly when I start the car. However, if I leave the vicinity of the car while it's running and then return the Apple carplay is lost. Anyone know a quick way of reconnecting other than turning the phone on/off. I've tried toggling bluetooth and wifi on/off and also plugging the cable in but it doesn't seem to work. I think the phone or the car still think they are connected but not showing as such.
It's worth checking the settings in the iPhone Carplay app.

ECrider

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It's worth checking the settings in the iPhone Carplay app.
just had a look and it doesn't really give me any options. I go to customise under Grenadier and it just lists apps, some with a no-entry or perhaps delete sign.
I'm a bit of a luddite with this stuff.

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Anyway to stop carplay from automatically playing audio from my phone? I thought there was a setting but cannot seem to find it. The truck jumps to spotify on my phone instead of staying on Sirius like I left it.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
just had a look and it doesn't really give me any options. I go to customise under Grenadier and it just lists apps, some with a no-entry or perhaps delete sign.
Sorry but I'm at a loss why, I'm an android user and haven't had the opportunity to play with an iPhone. . It doesn't do that with me, quite the opposite it stays connected up to 50 + metres but if lost it will still reconnect automatically.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Spoke with the dealer yesterday, they still do not have a solution. Ineos Technical sent them a USB drive to update vehicles but it only worked once, and no on any subsequent vehicles. They also could not clone the USB drive.

My question, if I connect my iPhone 14 Pro Max via a cable and do all the mentioned resets, what cable should I use?
- USB to Lightning
- USB-C to lightning
Is there a difference between the two ports in the cubby?

It's aa nice wet, rainy day - perfect for a country run in the Grenadier.

Last edited:

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Spoke with the dealer yesterday, they still do not have a solution. Ineos Technical sent them a USB drive to update vehicles but it only worked once, and no on any subsequent vehicles. They also could not clone the USB drive.

My question, if I connect my iPhone 14 Pro Max via a cable and do all the mentioned resets, what cable shovel I use?
- USB to Lightning
- USB-C to lightning
Is there a difference between the two ports in the cubby?

It's aa nice wet, rainy day - perfect for a country run in the Grenadier.
Yes, the USB-C is a data port, USB is a charging port only
in UK variants

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes, the USB-C is a data port, USB is a charging port only
in UK variants
That said the USB - A port accepts/ downloads Pathfinder data.

Tom109

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Multiple Grenadier and iPhone resets, still no CarPlay. My dealer has not had success with the IA supplied USB sticks either and indicated there are other affected vehicles besides mine. I called IA and opened a case directly, explaining the dealer has been responsive and attempted to resolve the issue with no success. IA called back on 8-March with detailed questions, so let's see how long until my infotainment system gets fixed.

Back
Top Bottom