The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Build Thread Antenna Mount

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:18 PM
Reaction score
Looking to mount a small low profile antenna (the small 3db gain model midland makes). Considering a small custom mount to be built using the lower air intake mounting screws. Haven’t pulled the air intake off yet to see if that is an option. Figured people in here would educate the uneducated as to the wisdom of that or I’ll stick to my original plan of off something off the lower left hood.

Thoughts?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Air intake, as in the inlet in the fender? I would definitely go higher than that if you want a somewhat decent omnidirectional range.

At least hood height (maybe like a lip mount on the back edge of the hood), or more ideally, off of the rear ladder or similar (to keep it below roof height if that is a concern)

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Air intake, as in the inlet in the fender? I would definitely go higher than that if you want a somewhat decent omnidirectional range.

At least hood height (maybe like a lip mount on the back edge of the hood), or more ideally, off of the rear ladder or similar (to keep it below roof height if that is a concern)
My error. Off the a pillar where the raised air intake is.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
If you go this route, remember to ensure the antenna is an elevated feed type I.e. ground independent. These low gain antennas can be very effective and are often used by interstate truck rigs attached to their external mirrors...
I mainly use a GME AE4002 2.1dbi on an elevated feed attached to a RhinoRack roof bar mounted in line with the B pillar.
Still trying to work out the best route for the coax cable. Currently it's wedged in the seals of the rear RHS passenger door...🤫

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
If you go this route, remember to ensure the antenna is an elevated feed type I.e. ground independent. These low gain antennas can be very effective and are often used by interstate truck rigs attached to their external mirrors...
I mainly use a GME AE4002 2.1dbi on an elevated feed attached to a RhinoRack roof bar mounted in line with the B pillar.
Still trying to work out the best route for the coax cable. Currently it's wedged in the seals of the rear RHS passenger door...🤫
IMG_0252.jpeg

I ended up going with a gutter mount, Italian gutter mount make, and ran the wire behind the rubber, into a nice groove, down the trim, into the rubber wire harness that got me into the cab below the door seal (rv siliconed the hole and then electrical taped it) and ran the wire behind the passenger side rear wheel hub to below the back seat where I am mounting the Midland radio. VERY clean install.

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

I took your advice. Gutter mounted it. Very clean.

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:18 AM
Reaction score
I bolted a 3.5mm bracket to the roof bar using channel nuts and mounted the antenna so that it folds across the roof below the topmost surface of the roof bar. It's an elevated feed to which I attach either a 2.1dbi or 6.x dbi depending on the area. When folded upright it works quite well.20240527_164303.jpg20240526_161958.jpg

Ovrland Bill

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
1:18 PM
Reaction score
Midland 3db GMRS Antenna mounted to top of ladder (will have to be “unshipped” for low clearance situations). Cable is guided down along side of ladder and then under the bottom of the smaller rear door and into the loadspace. (No holes-so far).

Attachments

• IMG_9121.jpeg
    IMG_9121.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 49

ethree

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Midland 3db GMRS Antenna mounted to top of ladder (will have to be “unshipped” for low clearance situations). Cable is guided down along side of ladder and then under the bottom of the smaller rear door and into the loadspace. (No holes-so far).
I considered that location but felt the need to leave stuff off the ladder. I saw one installation that mounted the ghost (or a Midland 6db could go here too) on the gutter like I did. Ran the wire down a piece of inner trim, then in thru the rubber wire bundle tube and into the cabin. Only hole I made was in that tubing which I sealed with some RV sealant (clear) and then wrapped it in electrical tape. No water getting in there. Very clean install.

[ Adam ]

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Today I swapped out my old 5.5db 5/8 double wave GMRS antenna for the much lower profile Midland MXTA25. I need to go see if it keeps me under my self imposed 7ft limit for garages, but I got pretty tired of hearing it bang on trees while we were doing trails over the weekend.

jdgoodwin

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:18 PM
Reaction score
View attachment 7859669

I just went for full HF and VHF like this.
Hi @Tomdoc how did you route the antenna cables? I think I saw somewhere about being able to feed them in behind the covers for the additional electrics? If that’s how you did it is it easy to do and obvious where you need to poke the wires through? Does it need after proofing at all?

Trying to work out how to fit my CB and VHF antennas when I get my Grenadier later in the week.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:18 AM
Reaction score
Some suggestions from the accessories thread here:

UHF/CB Aerial mounting brackets
Mounting options for UHF aerials in Australia:
  1. GME here;
  2. RFI here;
  3. KAON here;
  4. GMF4X4 here (mostly bonnet brackets);
  5. Uniden here;
  6. Oricom here;
  7. Pirate Camp Co here;
  8. Industrial Evolution mounts here;
  9. INEOS DIY Mounts, look here;
  10. L Track aerial mount here;
  11. Misc. here, here and here; and
  12. Mount the aerial on the INEOS' external utility belt (see here).
GME, RFI, Uniden and Oricom are often available around the world. Plus any local suppliers.

This site contains affiliate links for which The Grenadier Forum may be compensated.
Back
Top Bottom