The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Diesel AdBlue

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:20 AM
Reaction score
Just topped up my adblue, can't estimate consumption because it is my first fill up and I don't know how full it was originally.
Circa approx 600 miles per litre as a rough estimate.
The cheapest around here is at Tesco supermarket unit price of £1.56 per litre, sold in 4L bottles ( with filler spout). £6.25 for the 4L

Last edited:

Mitchell300

GG-741
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just topped up mine for the first time. 10 litres for £11.99 from B & Q. Looks like I’ve been using a litre every 380 miles on average.

Eric

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Just topped up mine for the first time. 10 litres for £11.99 from B & Q. Looks like I’ve been using a litre every 380 miles on average.
My 600 miles per litre might be a bit optimistic; it's a 17L tank but I reckon that there's at least a litre in the filler neck. It was on 100% when I collected the vehicle. Until I top it again then I'll get a better idea then on consumption.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:20 PM
Reaction score
Adblue. Let me share a story I didn’t know about being an adblue virgin.

i tell this to help others not feel like a goose as I did on the weekend.

After 5,000km, I had a light blue Adblue low warning come up on the Infomation screen on the weekend. I have no idea of consumption because I don’t know how much my dealer had topped it up originally.

Anyway, I find a service station with a truck stop and Adblue tank and figured I’d top it up.
Then proceeded to put 10 litres in it in 100ml increments with the auto click stopping after every push. What the hell am I doing wrong I think feeling like a complete fool. Frustrated, I persevered and got 10 litres in it before giving up.

Went into the guy behind the counter who had been watching me via the camera. He said I needed some sort of magnet that slips over the nozzle to get it to freeflow. WTF??? Apparently if you don’t have one they’ll lend you one, but someone had recently stolen theirs.

What on earth is this all about, and why doesn’t anyone tell you these things???

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

After 5,000km, I had a light blue Adblue low warning come up on the Infomation screen on the weekend. I have no idea of consumption because I don’t know how much my dealer had topped it up originally.

Anyway, I find a service station with a truck stop and Adblue tank and figured I’d top it up.
Then proceeded to put 10 litres in it in 100ml increments with the auto click stopping after every push. What the hell am I doing wrong I think feeling like a complete fool. Frustrated, I persevered and got 10 litres in it before giving up.

Went into the guy behind the counter who had been watching me via the camera. He said I needed some sort of magnet that slips over the nozzle to get it to freeflow. WTF??? Apparently if you don’t have one they’ll lend you one, but someone had recently stolen theirs.

What on earth is this all about, and why doesn’t anyone tell you these things???
What nozzle size did the pump have? The Ad Blue pump at my station just fits straight into the Grenadier's filler neck. Operates like any other fuel pump - without the huge bill.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
AD BLUE CONTAINER 5L
Australian owners, the grey ProQuip 5 litre 2 stroke container is compatible with the Grenadier's Ad Blue filler nozzle. The Proquip's spout fits (just); allowing you to take some spare Ad Blue when you go Outback.

Thanks to SCA for allowing me to check before buying the container. The spout goes in 5-6mm, enough to pour Ad Blue out of the container.

I am using roughly 1 litre of Ad Blue every 1,000 kilometres. That is on mostly bitumen with fuel usage between 11.5 to low 12 litres per 100 km. I expect that Ad Blue consumption to go up when I go off-road. A spare 5 litres should be enough to get me out of any trouble.

I will need to run a real world test to be 100% sure, which I will do before I go remote. I have learnt it always pays to do a shake down test.

EDIT: I run a test in the field, all went smoothly. At current usage 5 litres will get me around 5,000km.

Last edited:

Ripnz

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:20 AM
Reaction score

This is what I believe you are looking for. Have the same problem here in NZ.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:20 PM
Reaction score

Thanks for that. Looks like yet another adaptor to carry to refuel a Grenadier and get around the systems for protecting idiots.

Local time
Reaction score
Thanks for that. Looks like yet another adaptor to carry to refuel a Grenadier and get around the systems for protecting idiots.
Until someone who is not an idiot puts DEF/Adblue into the diesel tank. Adblue in diesel can write off the complete fuel system and the engine.

Rok_Dr

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:20 PM
Reaction score
Until someone who is not an idiot puts DEF/Adblue into the diesel tank. Adblue in diesel can write off the complete fuel system and the engine.
True. mistakes happen.

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I also have a problem filling my Adblue tank at the bowser. The nozzle fits ok but when I depress the lever the flow is cut off almost immediately. During a recent top up I gave up after about 5 litres which seemed to take forever.

I was under the impression that the magnetic nozzle adaptor was for filling containers - not for the main Adblue tank?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I also have a problem filling my Adblue tank at the bowser. The nozzle fits ok but when I depress the lever the flow is cut off almost immediately. During a recent top up I gave up after about 5 litres which seemed to take forever.

I was under the impression that the magnetic nozzle adaptor was for filling containers - not for the main Adblue tank?
AD BLUE CONTAINER 5L
Australian owners, the grey ProQuip 5 litre 2 stroke container is compatible with the Grenadier's Ad Blue filler nozzle. The Proquip's spout fits (just); allowing you to take some spare Ad Blue when you go Outback.

You may need a magnetic nozzle to fill the container, depending on the station's ad blue pump.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score

I need to find someone to show me how those damn things work.
I borrowed one (magnetic thingamajig) from a servo the other day (less than helpful) and it did nothing. I gave up after $2 worth and the operator had no idea so I moved on.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I need to find someone to show me how those damn things work.
I borrowed one (magnetic thingamajig) from a servo the other day (less than helpful) and it did nothing. I gave up after $2 worth and the operator had no idea so I moved on.
Slip the male Ad Blue nozzle into the female Ad Blue adapter. Press the Ad Blue pump handle (being really careful here not to use words with double meanings). Ad Blue goes into the Ad Blue tank or container. Remove the Ad Blue adapter, take it back to the service desk and get your credit card back! The Ad Blue nozzle often protrudes through the adapter (but not so in this image). Go and buy your own Ad Blue adapter to avoid that hassle again, as not all servos have adapters, or someone stole it.

Just ordered mine today. My local servo's Ad Blue pump does not need a magnetic adapter to work. I had to borrow one to fill my 5 litre Ad Blue container. Then later filled up the car.

iu

1726207235284.png
You can download the Info Sheet here.

Last edited:

Znarfgh

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
OK, so I get that you need this adaptor to fill containers with Adblue.

What I don't get is how this adaptor works when filling the vehicles Adblue tank! The nozzle at the servo fitted into the tank filler no problem, it would just not let me decant more than a small amount before clicking off. With this adaptor there the nozzle will not fit into the Adblue filler - what am I missing here?

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
OK, so I get that you need this adaptor to fill containers with Adblue.

What I don't get is how this adaptor works when filling the vehicles Adblue tank! The nozzle at the servo fitted into the tank filler no problem, it would just not let me decant more than a small amount before clicking off. With this adaptor there the nozzle will not fit into the Adblue filler - what am I missing here?
The Ad Blue pump nozzle normally goes partly thru the Ad Blue adapter and the protruding pump nozzle goes into the IG's filler neck, not the Ad Blue adapter. The Ad Blue adapter opens some sort of valve in the nozzle head, using a magnet. The IG's filler neck is to small to take the Ad Blue adapter, but it can take the protruding pump nozzle, you see below.

The adapter you used may have been faulty, which can also explain your issue. I just found it easier to use the Ad Blue adapter to fill the container than the car (the container has a larger diameter opening). The container easily filled the car. At my local servo the nozzle does not need an adapter to work and it fits the IG filler neck. So I fill the car before I leave home and if I am going remote I take a 5l container and an Ad Blue adapter so I can handle any scenario. Or just go and buy a bottle of Ad Blue from your auto store with a sprout that fits the IG. Ad Bkue has a limited shelf life, so do not get the 20l container unless you drive a lot.

1726210232848.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom