The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

AC problems

AUDIOBUS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:19 PM
Reaction score
THE POSSIBLE FIX: check the Low Temperature coolant reservoir. This cools the turbo AND the air conditioning system (which apparently gets hobbled when the coolant is low) but has no sensor to tell you it's low on coolant. Top it off and take a drive. My AC came back online in about 5 min. Now, it was never ice cold to begin with, so, it might still have an issue... but it's no longer blowing hot/warm air at me. Thanks to the local EU Import mechanic who answered the phone and simply told me to check it before bringing it down.

... and FYI, I got a hard no for service from the local BMW dealership.

If ya hadn't figured it out by now, we're on our own folks. Which is ok by me because I like you crazy cats in this odd land-boat.
------
ps.
I don't need to say this but I will anyway: make sure the engine is off and the truck is cool before opening the coolant reservoir. Even when cold, the system is under pressure. Use a shop towel to open the cap, wear glasses, etc. Look for signs of dried coolant around the cap -- it's a "closed" system, but that doesn't mean it doesn't leak.

----EDIT THE DAY AFTER----
Yeah, never mind. Back to blowing hot air.

Last edited:

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:19 PM
Reaction score
THE POSSIBLE FIX: check the Low Temperature coolant reservoir. This cools the turbo AND the air conditioning system (which apparently gets hobbled when the coolant is low) but has no sensor to tell you it's low on coolant. Top it off and take a drive. My AC came back online in about 5 min. Now, it was never ice cold to begin with, so, it might still have an issue... but it's no longer blowing hot/warm air at me. Thanks to the local EU Import mechanic who answered the phone and simply told me to check it before bringing it down.

... and FYI, I got a hard no for service from the local BMW dealership.

If ya hadn't figured it out by now, we're on our own folks. Which is ok by me because I like you crazy cats in this odd land-boat.
------
ps.
I don't need to say this but I will anyway: make sure the engine is off and the truck is cool before opening the coolant reservoir. Even when cold, the system is under pressure. Use a shop towel to open the cap, wear glasses, etc. Look for signs of dried coolant around the cap -- it's a "closed" system, but that doesn't mean it doesn't leak.
Mine always resets after sitting for 10 minutes with the engine off. If I try and start it right away it will still blow hot. All my coolant levels are high or normal. Happens probably every 15-20 times I use the truck. Works and blows super cold when it does work.

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Well, changing the leaking AC hose didn't work, its back to blowing super hot air. The dealer said it was likely the AC hose but that's now ruled out. Any other ideas?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:19 PM
Reaction score
Well, changing the leaking AC hose didn't work, its back to blowing super hot air. The dealer said it was likely the AC hose but that's now ruled out. Any other ideas?
Someone posted recently that Regal in ATL found the fix to be replacing the entire heaterbox assembly, primarily because this replaces a handful of components that aren't available separately

Kevin Mokracek

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Someone posted recently that Regal in ATL found the fix to be replacing the entire heaterbox assembly, primarily because this replaces a handful of components that aren't available separately
I’m going to mention this to my dealer, they had know idea the problem existed or at least that’s what I was told.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I’m going to mention this to my dealer, they had know idea the problem existed or at least that’s what I was told.
Hah at this point all the dealers should know, or at least if they start a ticket with Ineos they'll know for certain... Confirm with them that they've started a ticket with Ineos

AUDIOBUS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I was at the import shop today (because I'm 5-6 hours from the dealer). They're leaning towards it being the evaporator, and mentioned they'd been seeing low milage B58's having to have them replaced. PITA for August that's for sure.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was at the import shop today (because I'm 5-6 hours from the dealer). They're leaning towards it being the evaporator, and mentioned they'd been seeing low milage B58's having to have them replaced. PITA for August that's for sure.
But the Grenadier doesn't use a BMW part for the heater box...

AUDIOBUS

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
But the Grenadier doesn't use a BMW part for the heater box...
LOL! Perfect! Thank you @anand I didn't know this -- if it's somewhere else on the forum I didn't see it, there's only so many hours in the day to poke around here -- looks like I'm gonna take a long drive in a hot car.

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
LOL! Perfect! Thank you @anand I didn't know this -- if it's somewhere else on the forum I didn't see it, there's only so many hours in the day to poke around here -- looks like I'm gonna take a long drive in a hot car.
The only stuff that is directly BMW is the engine hardware; everything else is bespoke to the Ineos. At least, everything that has been identified at this point

Back
Top Bottom