The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

3/4 Roof Rack

Local time
5:21 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone compared the Leitner 3/4 roof rack to the Owl Outdoor Flat Earth 3/4 roof rack. The Owl is more expensive but I like the tray on it better than the slats-like Leitner tray. Any information on either would be appreciated.

Razorback Grenadier

Grenadier Owner
Local time
7:21 PM
Reaction score
I installed the 3/4 Leitner about three months ago. Pretty easy and straight forward. I was overly impressed with the quality of the product. First time in a very long time that I can remember all the holes lining up, every bolt threading in perfectly, and not having an issue with the quality of a product. I chalked it up to their attention to detail. The bolts all had their name on the top and felt heavy in hand indicating quality material. Just top notch all the way around. I put it together myself and on the roof. Seems like it would be easier with two people, but not difficult solo.

Attachments

• IMG_2821.jpeg
    IMG_2821.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2819.jpeg
    IMG_2819.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_2820.jpeg
    IMG_2820.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 112
Local time
Reaction score
I installed the 3/4 Leitner about three months ago. Pretty easy and straight forward. I was overly impressed with the quality of the product. First time in a very long time that I can remember all the holes lining up, every bolt threading in perfectly, and not having an issue with the quality of a product. I chalked it up to their attention to detail. The bolts all had their name on the top and felt heavy in hand indicating quality material. Just top notch all the way around. I put it together myself and on the roof. Seems like it would be easier with two people, but not difficult solo.
Thanks Razorback. nice job!

Local time
11:21 AM
Reaction score
Any noticeable impact on fuel economy? Noise? I’m liking the low profile 3/4 design of both the Leitner and Owl racks.

DCBNA

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I can't say anything about the Owl rack but I couldn't be happier with my Leitner. As previously mentioned all of the holes lined up perfectly. The engineering of the rack is great. I've noticed no change in fuel economy and not much in terms of wind noise, especially below 70 mph. I had a couple people help me hoist it onto the roof because I built it and then put it on and it was too cumbersome to manage by myself. You can buy additional crossbars for the Leitner which essentially can make it a tray and plate all the way across. I didn't see the need in ti since I can mount everything I need to it with one additional crossbar.

Rich s

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:21 PM
Reaction score
Any noticeable impact on fuel economy? Noise? I’m liking the low profile 3/4 design of both the Leitner and Owl racks.
I installed the Leitner 3/4 rack as well. Excellent quality and the look is great. I have not noticed any degredation in fuel range and there is no noise whatsoever. It is perfect!

grnamin

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
No change in fuel economy for me, either, with the Leitner rack. Some whistling due to crosswinds when driving above 70 mph. Wirelok covers on the lengthwise top channels fixed that.

IG_in_AZ

Global Grenadiers #1372
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Has anyone compared the Leitner 3/4 roof rack to the Owl Outdoor Flat Earth 3/4 roof rack. The Owl is more expensive but I like the tray on it better than the slats-like Leitner tray. Any information on either would be appreciated.
I have ordered the Owl Flat Earth Rack and will have it installed in Mesa when it's available. They're pre-order. Also have their hood latch lever and dash accessory rail (orange) ordered. I have seen it in person at their facility in Mesa and it's solidly built and well designed. Not disparaging Leitner's rack. I saw it at Overland Expo West and it's a great unit as well. I have the Bison Gear side molle panels and Leitner's rack uses the factory grab rail mount bolts, too, so it wasn't compatible. The Owl rack mounts to the grab bars.

Local time
Reaction score
I have ordered the Owl Flat Earth Rack and will have it installed in Mesa when it's available. They're pre-order. Also have their hood latch lever and dash accessory rail (orange) ordered. I have seen it in person at their facility in Mesa and it's solidly built and well designed. Not disparaging Leitner's rack. I saw it at Overland Expo West and it's a great unit as well. I have the Bison Gear side molle panels and Leitner's rack uses the factory grab rail mount bolts, too, so it wasn't compatible. The Owl rack mounts to the grab bars.
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom