The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

270 Awnings, which one?

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:31 PM
Reaction score
The Clevershade is one of the lightest 270 degree awning. I bought it because it was so light and there is no need to setup legs.
Yeah I noticed the weight difference - looks quite significant. Did you go with the 4m? Is it OK with water resistance? Now I need to see compatibility with the Leitner HD bars and RacksBrax (DaBull turned me on to them). I want an easy-on/easy-off setup. I’m not driving around all the time with a full rack and awning mounted like I’m prepping for the apocalypse. Most of my trips are day trips to 2 nights. Just enough time for the trout to lose their respect, spread the word to their friends, and then it’s time to clear out in shame. In the words of the Bard, “Exit, pursued by a bear.”

Last edited:

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:31 AM
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed the weight difference - looks quite significant. Did you go with the 4m? Is it OK with water resistance? Now I need to see compatibility with the Leitner HD bars and RacksBrax (DaBull turned me on to them). I want an easy-on/easy-off setup. I’m not driving around all the time with a full rack and awning mounted like I’m prepping for the apocalypse. Most of my trips are day trips to 2 nights. Just enough time for the trout to lose their respect, spread the word to their friends, and then it’s time to clear out in shame.
4m version is best suited to Grenadier, according to CLEVERSHADE. No issues with water resistance. Mine is mounted permanently to a Rhino Pioneer Platform.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
4m version is best suited to Grenadier, according to CLEVERSHADE. No issues with water resistance. Mine is mounted permanently to a Rhino Pioneer Platform.
Thanks for the advice. Appreciate it. I already pulled off my RR RDB bars - too much wind noise and didn’t like the gutter mount towers. Leitner’s have been much better in the last couple of weeks that I’ve had them. I think they should work with the Clevershade and RacksBrax, but I’ll figure that out.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The Clevershade is one of the lightest 270 degree awning. I bought it because it was so light and there is no need to setup legs.
Another vote for the Clevershade.

We painted ours with RaptorCoat and it disappears against the Leitner rack.

IMG_1744.jpeg

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah I noticed the weight difference - looks quite significant. Did you go with the 4m? Is it OK with water resistance? Now I need to see compatibility with the Leitner HD bars and RacksBrax (DaBull turned me on to them). I want an easy-on/easy-off setup. I’m not driving around all the time with a full rack and awning mounted like I’m prepping for the apocalypse. Most of my trips are day trips to 2 nights. Just enough time for the trout to lose their respect, spread the word to their friends, and then it’s time to clear out in shame. In the words of the Bard, “Exit, pursued by a bear.”
You can just slide the awning component out leaving the mount behind. See photo at #25.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can just slide the awning component out leaving the mount behind. See photo at #25.
Yeah I think I’m pretty sold on the Clevershade just based on weight and free-standing performance (would have said Alu-Cab 2 days ago, but if theDocAUS goes out on a limb and enthusiastically supports a product, I would have to be an idiot not to give it serious consideration), but need to see how it would work with the Leitner HD bars, which I already have installed and love. You might be right - RacksBrax might not be necessary, but I spoke with Leitner and they hadn’t personally looked at mounting the Clevershade. I just need to do a little more homework, but I’m pretty sure I can come up with something. I just need to look back at the Leitner rack and see how it differs from the HD bars, and where the mounting points are on each

Airleader

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:31 PM
Reaction score
I am faced with the same task, but would have an additional complication:

The total height must not exceed the series height of the grenadier (carport..)!

Has anyone realized that yet? Maybe on the 25 mm pipes, would be my idea. It's a bit low, I'm not that big either...

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I am faced with the same task, but would have an additional complication:

The total height must not exceed the series height of the grenadier (carport..)!

Has anyone realized that yet? Maybe on the 25 mm pipes, would be my idea. It's a bit low, I'm not that big either...
I THINK with the Clevershade and Alu-Cab 180, you can mount it at the roof-line. It’s been a while since I looked, but I specifically remember that being called out as a benefit for clearance issues.

pedrogb

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I purchased my awning from Expedition HQ as a one off on sale item they couldn't move, after they decided to stock and sell the Clevershade.
It is a rebranded Supapeg Outbound, looks like a shield 6, canvas material, very heavy duty, totally freestanding.
But also very heavy. 38kg
I used Pirate Camp brackets (supplied brackets were for a platform, I have roof bars)
It was great, very easy and quick to set up and pack away, (less than a minute) withstood plenty of strong winds without issue, kept a few light (and one not so light) showers off us, I stuck some Hard Korr lights under it to the roof power, all very easy. 3 of us camped under it.
It does add to the roof height, approx 100mm and so I've taken it off in the mean time until I decide to go away again. I also didn't want it to be ruined by the extreme sun sitting in the open up here as a daily driver.
Thoroughly recommend.
Pedro20240808_084752.jpg
20240814_140932.jpg

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yeah I think I’m pretty sold on the Clevershade just based on weight and free-standing performance (would have said Alu-Cab 2 days ago, but if theDocAUS goes out on a limb and enthusiastically supports a product, I would have to be an idiot not to give it serious consideration), but need to see how it would work with the Leitner HD bars, which I already have installed and love. You might be right - RacksBrax might not be necessary, but I spoke with Leitner and they hadn’t personally looked at mounting the Clevershade. I just need to do a little more homework, but I’m pretty sure I can come up with something. I just need to look back at the Leitner rack and see how it differs from the HD bars, and where the mounting points are on each
Clevershade is a small business and all too happy to help in my experience. If you ask Bernhard and team to take some photos and send them to Clevershade they will be able to offer a suggestion/drill the mount accordingly.

The main issue with installing to roof racks is that the front mounting location is required to be a specific distance from the pivot. The standard distance may not match the recommended location of roof bars on the Grenadier.

Clevershade may be able to modify the mount for your specific needs, if you are happy to work with them direct.

Else you could simply locate the roof bar as required by the awning.

Bit hard to explain in text, PM if you require any photos etc to illustrate.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Clevershade is a small business and all too happy to help in my experience. If you ask Bernhard and team to take some photos and send them to Clevershade they will be able to offer a suggestion/drill the mount accordingly.

The main issue with installing to roof racks is that the front mounting location is required to be a specific distance from the pivot. The standard distance may not match the recommended location of roof bars on the Grenadier.

Clevershade may be able to modify the mount for your specific needs, if you are happy to work with them direct.

The US distributor for Clevershade is in San Diego, and I think Leitner is in Corona. I’m sure I’ll get this figured out - will definitely ping you if in need some photos for the Leitner team. I’m just so impressed by them so far, and am really happy with the bars. Looking forward to the Sidekick once they get it back in stock.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

Ok - round 1. Clevershade responded this morning and recommended the Deluxe, shown on a full rack (just for RacksBrax compatibility, although they hadn’t tested it, yet). Not gonna work. BUT, they mentioned Basil’s Garage (their distributor in the US - their real speciality is custom builds), so I THINK the best approach is to call them today and see if they can meet up with Bernhard Leitner and team - they’re pretty close to one another in Coronado and San Diego. One helpful piece of info Clevershade gave was that the Ultra-light is NOT compatible with the RacksBrax quick mounts - but with the light weight and unique mounting, I think the benefit of the quick mount is diminished, if not completely eliminated. The game, as they say, is afoot.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Ok - round 1. Clevershade responded this morning and recommended the Deluxe, shown on a full rack (just for RacksBrax compatibility, although they hadn’t tested it, yet). Not gonna work. BUT, they mentioned Basil’s Garage (their distributor in the US - their real speciality is custom builds), so I THINK the best approach is to call them today and see if they can meet up with Bernhard Leitner and team - they’re pretty close to one another in Coronado and San Diego. One helpful piece of info Clevershade gave was that the Ultra-light is NOT compatible with the RacksBrax quick mounts - but with the light weight and unique mounting, I think the benefit of the quick mount is diminished, if not completely eliminated. The game, as they say, is afoot.
Great stuff, will follow with interest. Please say g’day to Bernhard from us if the opportunity comes up.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great stuff, will follow with interest. Please say g’day to Bernhard from us if the opportunity comes up.
Will do. Just spoke w Leitner. They said Bernhard would be willing to look at the Clevershade Ultra-Light mounting specs, so I have a message in to Basil’s garage to see if they will play broker on this one. Tom Roberson at Clevershade HQ sent me a photo of a Grenadier with a deluxe shade - but that takes the FULL length of the roof and in the photo, it’s mounted to a full length rack. One of the Aussies’ MM in this group, I’m assuming. My ideal config is still the Leitner HD bars with the Clevershade Ultra-Light 4m. It’s low profile, easy on, easy off, light (both the awning and the bars), but SUPER strong as a free-standing system. Not giving up on this - let’s see what we can get.

Migs

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:31 PM
Reaction score
Will do. Just spoke w Leitner. They said Bernhard would be willing to look at the Clevershade Ultra-Light mounting specs, so I have a message in to Basil’s garage to see if they will play broker on this one. Tom Roberson at Clevershade HQ sent me a photo of a Grenadier with a deluxe shade - but that takes the FULL length of the roof and in the photo, it’s mounted to a full length rack. One of the Aussies’ MM in this group, I’m assuming. My ideal config is still the Leitner HD bars with the Clevershade Ultra-Light 4m. It’s low profile, easy on, easy off, light (both the awning and the bars), but SUPER strong as a free-standing system. Not giving up on this - let’s see what we can get.
Nice work on pushing this. i'm very interested to see how it turns out. I have the leitner 3/4 ACS rack, and am of same mind that i'd love to have an easy on / off 270 awning so I'm not looking like a fully equiped prep vehicle to and from work every day - i like to mount my stuff on fridays and dismount on sundays so its mostly a plain vehicle all week

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nice work on pushing this. i'm very interested to see how it turns out. I have the leitner 3/4 ACS rack, and am of same mind that i'd love to have an easy on / off 270 awning so I'm not looking like a fully equiped prep vehicle to and from work every day - i like to mount my stuff on fridays and dismount on sundays so its mostly a plain vehicle all week
Yeah - let’s call this “the weekend warrior config.” I think this covers many of us. I want to sleep in a rooftop tent about as much as I want to contemplate the US tax code, and I don’t want to be driving around with an awning, except when I need it. The Leitner HD bars are about as inconspicuous as you can get. And hardly any wind noise, especially with the wire guide inserts. Although it sounds like the RacksBrax won’t work with the Clevershade Ultra-Light, maybe we can come up with a mount that’s in the 3 minute assembly range. The weight savings with the Clevershade are just so great that I think most of us wouldn’t mind moving it on and off on the weekends, especially with an assembly time in that 3-5 minute range.

The Clevershade Ultra-Light might, BTW, already work with the ACS 3/4 rack. Leitner hasn’t certified it, but I haven’t looked into it at all. I already installed the HD bars - again, low profile and wind noise.

globalgregors

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
We had ours fitted on the Rhino Rack roof bars originally, I’m sure this is doable.

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:31 PM
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward the Alu-Cab Shadow 270 awning, partly because there are local dealers if support or parts are needed. I have a 3/4 Leitner platform rack and seeing Leitner with the Alu-Cab awning on their truck gives me extra confidence.

Question for anyone with a similar setup (i.e. 3/4 rack with a longer awning cantilevering nearly a metre forward of its front mount point) ... when driving, should I expect any unusual flex or oscillation or anything? The platform and awning shell are all pretty stout aluminum, so I reckon this must be fine, eh?

1724100142045.png

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I'm leaning toward the Alu-Cab Shadow 270 awning, partly because there are local dealers if support or parts are needed. I have a 3/4 Leitner platform rack and seeing Leitner with the Alu-Cab awning on their truck gives me extra confidence.

Question for anyone with a similar setup (i.e. 3/4 rack with a longer awning cantilevering nearly a metre forward of its front mount point) ... when driving, should I expect any unusual flex or oscillation or anything? The platform and awning shell are all pretty stout aluminum, so I reckon this must be fine, eh?

View attachment 7867223

I spoke w Bernhard Leitner a few weeks ago - he said he has no concerns and has mounted the Alu-Cab awning - confident in the rack and HD bar mounts. This is going to be my fallback - the only reason I would consider Clevershade Ultra-Lite instead is there is a really big weight difference - like 8 kg. Since I want to pop the awning on and off without fussing with the mount and minimizing the strain on my perfectly tuned and sculpted physique, Clevershade Ultra-Lite has an advantage (although the weight on the Deluxe is identical, as is the mounting interface).

Back
Top Bottom