The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Why does it bong when I drive over a hump?

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
2:28 AM
Reaction score
An observation when I drive a particular route. It is reproducible.

When I drive to Christian & Vera (like the day before yesterday), there is a junction of a hillside street with another street where you have to drive a sharp turn over a fairly steep asphalt hump, about a meter in diameter. Whenever I do so, the Grenadier issues a bong, but there is no message on the screen and nothing seems to change. It is not like driving fast over a speed breaker, I'm quite slow in that moment: the junction can not be driven with much more than walking speed, I can not test weather or not a cruise control would drop out. But this is not the point here.

The interesting question is: "why does it bong"?

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:28 AM
Reaction score

When I drive to Christian & Vera (like the day before yesterday), there is a junction of a hillside street with another street where you have to drive a sharp turn over a fairly steep asphalt hump, about a meter in diameter. Whenever I do so, the Grenadier issues a bong, but there is no message on the screen and nothing seems to change. It is not like driving fast over a speed breaker, I'm quite slow in that moment: the junction can not be driven with much more than walking speed, I can not test weather or not a cruise control would drop out. But this is not the point here.

Rear doors.. if you look at the screen when you next go over the hump, you should see the rear door open icon flash up for a split second..

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
A rear door sensor complains when driving over a hump. That's absolutely crazy. 🥳

Thank you all so much for the replies. It never occurred to me that a back door sensor could be the cause.

Next time, I'll switch of ESC before I drive there. (y)

BTW: concerning crazy effects with sensors: Christian had a problem with his Range Rover switching to limp mode. When I was there on Friday, he told/showed me the cause he had found. 🙃

I'm not entitled to tell you more. But the solution will be revealed within the next (two?) videos. It is totally crazy, I really had to laugh.

Ever Pragmatic

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
A rear door sensor complains when driving over a hump. That's absolutely crazy. 🥳

Thank you all so much for the replies. It never occurred to me that a back door sensor could be the cause.

BTW: concerning crazy effects with sensors: Christian had a problem with his Range Rover switching to limp mode. When I was there on Friday, he told/showed me the cause he had found. 🙃

I'm not entitled to tell you more. But the solution will be revealed within the next (two?) videos. It is totally crazy, I really had to laugh.
Forgot to mention that the bong cleared once I’d had the update done….
on a separate note, LRTime is essential viewing on Sunday mornings here and the FFRR project is most entertaining.. C&V come across as a very nice couple and C really knows his onions.

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score

@emax the YouTube celebrity insider 😎

🤣

ADVAW8S

Global Grenadier 0044
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score
Anymore collaboration between you guys? It would be a fun road trip with each you driving each other's cars on and off road.

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
5:28 PM
Reaction score

@emax that’s the perfect candidate for the “what’s this error” monthly competition. Have you managed to get a video of the sound and the centre screen yet?

GN4HIR

Forum Donor
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
Ok, I have a case of the 'Bong' on bumps due to the rear door. Anyone adjusted this away? If so, was it by moving the latching bar (inward I'd guess) and did you do the top, bottom or both.. Or is there another method.

BTW, what purpose does the upper and lower conical plastic prong on the door and receiving receptacle in the door frame serve (see how I didn't resort to calling boy and girl parts), are they merely for alignment?

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:28 PM
Reaction score
Ok, I have a case of the 'Bong' on bumps due to the rear door. Anyone adjusted this away? If so, was it by moving the latching bar (inward I'd guess) and did you do the top, bottom or both.. Or is there another method.

BTW, what purpose does the upper and lower conical plastic prong on the door and receiving receptacle in the door frame serve (see how I didn't resort to calling boy and girl parts), are they merely for alignment?
Super easy to adjust, and most frequently it is because the rear door is too tight, not too loose; however, as always, your mileage may vary.

The adjustment is done on the body side of the vehicle. Open both rear doors, locate the latches on the body side. The plastic cover that surrounds them pulls directly down, and requires quite a bit of force to remove. Then grab a 13mm and very slightly loosen the bolts holding the latch for the 70 side door. Move this latch outward very slightly, tighten, and take for a road test. I found on mine that the 13mms on both latches weren't fully tightened, and probably had something to do with my bong'ing becoming more frequent since ownership.

Also, yes, the conical pieces are for alignment as it closes

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

LRTime is the only YT channel both me and my wife watch together - it is our Sunday morning tradition and our only Patreon one. We don't have any LRs anymore either but they are informative, funny and educational. Please give Vera and Christian our regards! Tom and Courtney !!

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
@emax that’s the perfect candidate for the “what’s this error” monthly competition. Have you managed to get a video of the sound and the centre screen yet?
Hi Stu,

it's been a while since you asked that as I had lost track of this thread.

No, I don't have an audio recording and (hopefully) won't be able to record it in the future as the agent fixed the problem. But don't ask me how. When I ask them what they changed I get the answer "We don't disclose information on warranty work". :confused:

Yes, an idiotic answer and I think they follow the strategy of "a customer can't claim if they don't have information." (n)

For the German readers: My agent is Krah + Enders.

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score

Bordersam

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Super easy to adjust, and most frequently it is because the rear door is too tight, not too loose; however, as always, your mileage may vary.

The adjustment is done on the body side of the vehicle. Open both rear doors, locate the latches on the body side. The plastic cover that surrounds them pulls directly down, and requires quite a bit of force to remove. Then grab a 13mm and very slightly loosen the bolts holding the latch for the 70 side door. Move this latch outward very slightly, tighten, and take for a road test. I found on mine that the 13mms on both latches weren't fully tightened, and probably had something to do with my bong'ing becoming more frequent since ownership.

Also, yes, the conical pieces are for alignment as it closes
Good advice and a solution that works. Mine had been bong'ing and showing the rear door open warning intermittently since new. Moving the latch outward slightly allows it to make a better contact with the receiver. The door remains tight to the seal and no more warnings ....

Great result - thanks.

GN4HIR

Forum Donor
Local time
7:28 PM
Reaction score
Good advice and a solution that works. Mine had been bong'ing and showing the rear door open warning intermittently since new. Moving the latch outward slightly allows it to make a better contact with the receiver. The door remains tight to the seal and no more warnings ....

Great result - thanks.

Glad that Anand's suggestion worked for you. At first I thought the door wasn't closed tightly and adjusted the hook in slightly. Bong city! Made it 2 blocks from my house and turned around and came back. I then moved the hook out a bit and 90% of the bong went away. However, I still got bonged anytime I had a big dip in the road. I have a bigger tire and rotopax on the rear door. I then started wincing every time I hit a bump expecting a bong.

So.. and don't report me to the Ineos authorities, I pulled the upper plastic panel on the 70 door (I'd had it off when installing my Wolfbox) and snipped, stripped and crimped the two small wires that convey 'open door' back to the vehicle. Now, I can drive through any bump/dip in silence. I suppose I could reconnect them if I ever needed to..

Back
Top Bottom