The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Whining noise

Abdulla

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:08 PM
Reaction score
I just took delivery of my grenadier and when driving I noticed a whining noise when letting off the throttle, is this normal ?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I just took delivery of my grenadier and when driving I noticed a whining noise when letting off the throttle, is this normal ?
I take it your wife not in the car? 😂

In seriousness. It is not my experience that there should be any strange noises. On the positive side, there is every chance it won’t be serious. Get the dealer back in the car and see what they say.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:08 PM
Reaction score
Congratulations Abdulla! What’s your build? Are you diesel or petrol? This BMW engine has a very noticeable turbo spool and blow-off. It takes a bit to get used to, and you notice it just lags your input / release on the accelerator. Just play with it a bit on a stretch of open road - punch the accelerator, do a quick release, then do a slightly slower build up on acceleration and then a slower release. You’ll get used to it, and will start to like it. Pretend that you’re in the world’s largest and most top-heavy tricked out Honda Civic drifter. Paint it neon green, slam the suspension, get the ground clearance down to 3cm, and put a gigantic spoiler on top. PLEASE SEND PICTURES!!!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:08 PM
Reaction score
There is a bit of whine from the drivetrain, especially on deceleration

ecohen2

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:08 AM
Reaction score
The drivetrain definitely has a whine under load, accelerating or de-accelerating... its not loud but more noticeable when de-accelerating because you don't have the engine noise..

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
As you’re getting use to the car. It will most probably be the steering pump whine what most of us have and find it annoying but apparently it’s normal.

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Guys guys guys - we’ve now given a brand new owner - like less than 24 hours - 3 things to freak out about. Totally unhelpful. Now all someone has to do is mention the evil spirit that lives in the footwell hump and groans curses upon your children’s souls, and poor Abdulla will take it right back to the dealer.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:08 AM
Reaction score
Guys guys guys - we’ve now given a brand new owner - like less than 24 hours - 3 things to freak out about. Totally unhelpful. Now all someone has to do is mention the evil spirit that lives in the footwell hump and groans curses upon your children’s souls, and poor Abdulla will take it right back to the dealer.
I think the whine is coming from the steering stabiliser. ;)

CrazyOldMan

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
When steering there is no noise just when letting off the throttle on the highway
In all seriousness, I think you are just hearing turbo blow-off (not spooling), or the drive-train drone that is more noticeable when the engine isn’t under load. Most of us probably are just used to it by now and don’t really notice. If you get a warning light, or hear anything more like grinding or anything, then yeah, there’s something wrong.

Abdulla

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
In all seriousness, I think you are just hearing turbo blow-off (not spooling), or the drive-train drone that is more noticeable when the engine isn’t under load. Most of us probably are just used to it by now and don’t really notice. If you get a warning light, or hear anything more like grinding or anything, then yeah, there’s something wrong.
I think it’s the drivetrain because the sound is coming from around there and it’s definitely not the turbo

Back
Top Bottom