The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Wanted: Relocation brackets for sun visors

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:47 PM
Reaction score
Am I the only one ducking a bit to view traffic lights when first in queue? A significant amount of windshield view is blocked by the thickness of the sun visor. i.e. when closed, not in use, it seems unnecessarily in the driver's line of sight

Demonstration: Flip your driver's visor 90° to its side window position and enjoy an unobstructed upper strip of windshield including full traffic light views! Lol. Not sustainable.

Solution (I think): If the visors were mounted a few cm straight back from their current position then driver's line of sight wouldn't be obstructed. And I don't think visor function would be impacted much, if at all.

Yes, lowering the seat or changing seat position or slouching also help. But I like my seat and posture as it is. :LOL:

I don't have the skills to mock this up. I'm just noodling out loud here. Does this make sense?

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
Am I the only one ducking a bit to view traffic lights when first in queue? A significant amount of windshield view is blocked by the thickness of the sun visor. i.e. when closed, not in use, it seems unnecessarily in the driver's line of sight

Demonstration: Flip your driver's visor 90° to its side window position and enjoy an unobstructed upper strip of windshield including full traffic light views! Lol. Not sustainable.

Solution (I think): If the visors were mounted a few cm straight back from their current position then driver's line of sight wouldn't be obstructed. And I don't think visor function would be impacted much, if at all.

Yes, lowering the seat or changing seat position or slouching also help. But I like my seat and posture as it is. :LOL:

I don't have the skills to mock this up. I'm just noodling out loud here. Does this make sense?
It would be relatively easy to design & 3D print a plate for each side of the visor that moves the mounting points backward, but any gain would be offset by the need to make it a reasonable thickness to withstand daily use (there is a fair bit of leverage on these visors). Also the latch side of the visor mount is partially recessed into the head liner, this can't be replicated with a surface mount plate as the mounting point moves back (without cutting into the headliner).

But sounds like a challenge, will see what I can come up with.

Last edited:

Shopkeep

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:47 AM
Reaction score
Its beyond my powers, the pivot for the visor is reassuringly well made but too deep to mount onto a simple bracket without punching a hole in the roof liner.

Sun Visor Pivot 2.jpg

FlyersFan76

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:47 PM
Reaction score

I know that they aren't for everybody, but these work rather well.

A vendor might be coming up with another solution with Rosen visors but I forget which one. I was a little impatient since I have wanted a reason to buy Rosen visors for 30 years.

Local time
Reaction score
https://lightinsight.com/install/ The experimental shot. It works. They were designed for an easy fix on chop top rotrods that people didnt want to drill the dash for a solid prism. It can also be more in your natural line of sight. I have since moved it to the centerish location, and removed the visor to install wiring, and I haven't replaced it. That also gains an inch. I don't miss it, but I'll put a translucent aviation visor up when I get around to it. They are thin and see thru. There's a fella on here that put up a link for that.
sightlite.jpg

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
I know that they aren't for everybody, but these work rather well.

A vendor might be coming up with another solution with Rosen visors but I forget which one. I was a little impatient since I have wanted a reason to buy Rosen visors for 30 years.

Owl is working with Rosen to release a Grenadier specific visor (which I assume includes bracket replacement). Supposed to be released very soon,

holdmybeer

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Aviation visors seem great. I’d be open to that but ideally still with an offset bracket so its support bar isn’t running across any windshield line of sight. 👍🏻

BD1

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
7:47 PM
Reaction score
Owl released their aviation visors. The video shows how you can also rotate these to block sun coming in thru the safari windows:

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got to say that I really like how they engineered that mount for maximum flexibility. Tempting....

Mules

Grenadier Owner
Local time
10:17 AM
Reaction score
Good thread - I went through a period of removing the sun visor altogether as I was frustrated at losing a few centimetres of visibility. Couldn't agree with the OP more.

It's a bit dissappointing they didn't recess the sun visors in the headlining like similar vehicles do... I think they're designed to accommodate the safari windows in that sense, but at a cost to those without the windows.

Local time
Reaction score
Nice price hike, but I guess they fit better. I've fine without the visor, but something would be nice. Winter is coming.

Back
Top Bottom