The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Sunroof a worthwhile option?

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:31 PM
Reaction score
Not sure if I am that keen on the split sunroof. The reason it has to be split is obvious however, does it lighten up the cabin that much. 

bemax

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:31 PM
Reaction score
It just adds a little bit of heaven to your Grenadier. What else could you ask for?I do understand everybody who wants to save the money or lives in a hot sunny country.
Here in in good old Germany I can choose a black roof and the sunroof without driving in aportable oven the next summer. At least I hope so ?
For me a sunroof opens th car a little bit. i like it very much. So everybody will have his own opinion on that.

Local time
10:31 AM
Reaction score
I imagine it brightens the rig to a pretty decent degree in the front if you don't have a full roof rack installed.... less light if installed. Of course in hot/sunny climates this is more direct sun and "greenhouse" effect.  For the money so far I've configured without it for the above reason, and for added insulation against heat loss in the winter, and maybe slightly less rode noise, especially if you have the roof rack. I appreciate that it's not electric as such things are just one more expensive thing to break.  I've had a Volkswagen with a sun roof (2005) which eventually had drainage issues, causing water to leak into the cabin creating huge problems... necessitating the whole interior to be removed to get rid of the mildew.  The drains get full and it overflowed into the interior.  I'd bet this IG design would have that in mind, but just something to think about.  The problem in the VW didn't occur for about 10-15 years, but it was a massive ordeal when it happened and not something you notice or diagnose until your interior panels are discolored.  The IG drain design is probably much more robust.... I just had an experience which made me think twice about if it's worth the sun roof or not.  I imagine being able to stand up on the seat and look outside while 4-wheeling or something... the fun imagination... but if that ever happened once or twice, still probably not worth it for the money, especially if financed... plus the slight additional road noise, summer heat, and winter heat loss... I dunno. 

rovie

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@FerrugenfishI have had my experiences with the Discovery windows. I got to grips with it through my own construction, but I don't need to do that again. That's why I decided against it.

Cheshire cat

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I love panoramic sunroof’s but of course this isn’t one of those hence my temptation to save the £1100.00 or so. That said, the UK being fairly temperate might benefit from the extra light. ?‍♂️

emax

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
4:31 PM
Reaction score
LR is the only automotive company in the world which published a "Water Ingress Manual" for a car. So I wouldn't take water leak experiences with Land Rovers as something normal one can apply for other cars.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
If we have any issues, I know a man who might be able to help:

Screenshot_20221014_223707.jpg

Davman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
1:31 AM
Reaction score
LR is the only automotive company in the world which published a "Water Ingress Manual" for a car. So I wouldn't take water leak experiences with Land Rovers as something normal one can apply for other cars.
I owned one of the very first Freelander 2 vehicles in Australia - it was my only foray into the LR world. I only had it for about 9 months, and one of those months it was back at the dealer who was trying to work out how water was ingresssing into the rear footwells, I had not taken it off road, and I didn’t have a sunroof.

Needless to say I haven’t gone down the LR pathway since.

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:31 AM
Reaction score
I have had sunroofs in most of my vehicles and last time I had any trouble with one leaking was back in the 80's.
It was an aftermarket unit not factory.
he safari windows look fantastic to me and really suit the vehicle. I am hoping that the heat reflective privacy glass option I have selected also includes the safari windows.
I doubt it will, but I can always get that added myself.
Although for Australia it part of the glass itself and not just a film.
Don't know about other countries.
As they are removable it will make any tinting easy to do.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
You can probably always add heat management films to the glass afterwards. I’m kind of torn. I really like sunroofs. My son has a jeep wrangler with a sky roof or whatever they call it that rolls all the way back. That is a slick piece of technology that I wish others would Steal. More than a sunroof, not that much less than a soft top or a rigid removable roof. But a heck of a lot easier to deal with. The major upside I see of these two sunroofs is that the wife can keep her‘s clothes and I can have mine open .

I think the major determining factor will be if people want a full roof rack all the time or if there’s a roof rack system where you can takeoff the front third.

Back
Top Bottom