The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Second Battery - which outlet?

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:32 PM
Reaction score
I am a little confused about the wiring of the auxiliary battery. Which connections are associated with the auxiliary battery? There are fourteen connections, which are wired to the starter battery and which to the auxiliary battery?

The additional battery option, which is not exactly cheap, makes no sense if all fourteen connections run via the starter battery.

Local time
1:32 AM
Reaction score
I asked this on Friday and got a complicated answer I didn't really understand. They said they are wired in parallel but once the starter battery hits a certain low voltage it cuts off and only the 2nd battery gets drained. What I don't understand is if they are in parallel then shouldnt they both drain at the same rate?

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
10:32 PM
Reaction score
I asked this on Friday and got a complicated answer I didn't really understand. They said they are wired in parallel but once the starter battery hits a certain low voltage it cuts off and only the 2nd battery gets drained. What I don't understand is if they are in parallel then shouldnt they both drain at the same rate?
It will have a VSR (voltage sensitive relay) to isolate the aux battery should it drop below a set voltage, the DCDC charger in the photos should have one built in. But apparently there is a Redarc plug and play model in the pipeline according to what someone posted (this could be hearsay mind you)

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:32 PM
Reaction score
I put a blue sea 500amp VSR in my defender. I don’t think VSR split chargers are compatible with smart alternators which the Grenadier probably has. I’m sure it has to be a DC to DC charger.

Mr. Largo WINCH

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local Group Moderator
Local time
Reaction score
Bonjour,
J'ai installé un coupleur / Séparateur de batteries T Max sur mes deux DEFENDER. La batterie auxiliaire est une batterie "OPTIMA JAUNE" à décharge profonde.
A l'arrêt, les batteries sont indépendantes.
A la mise en route, après quelques secondes, le relais connecte la batterie auxiliaire. Les deux batteries sont donc en charge par l'alternateur.
A l'arrêt du moteur, le relais isole la batterie auxiliaire et les équipements complémentaires sont alimentés par la seule batterie auxiliaire. Cela nécessite bien sûr d'avoir connecté tous les équipements auxiliaires (Frigo, LED, etc.) à la seule batterie auxiliaire. La batterie principale n'est donc pas sollicitée ce qui permet un démarrage sans problème après une nuit de bivouac. Si la batterie principale est un peu faible au démarrage, il y a possibilité de coupler électroniquement les deux batteries par appui sur un bouton de commande de l'interface.
Je suppose que le système de couplage installé sur le Grenadier, a les mêmes fonctionnalités.

Bonne journée

1670837522578.png

Attachments

• TMax Dual Battery System.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 19

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I put a blue sea 500amp VSR in my defender. I don’t think VSR split chargers are compatible with smart alternators which the Grenadier probably has. I’m sure it has to be a DC to DC charger.
Most (DCDC chargers) will have an ignition wire which is all they need, if its still a real problem it's easy to fit a diode to circumvent this in the fuse box

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It will have a VSR (voltage sensitive relay) to isolate the aux battery should it drop below a set voltage, the DCDC charger in the photos should have one built in. But apparently there is a Redarc plug and play model in the pipeline according to what someone posted (this could be hearsay mind you)
Will a VSR be a robust solution? In my Defender I have a VSR from Votronic, I have more than once a drained Starter Battery...

MrMike

Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Will a VSR be a robust solution? In my Defender I have a VSR from Votronic, I have more than once a drained Starter Battery...
That sounds like it was either not working or incorrectly installed, it should cut off at about 12.8V

DaveB

Grenadier Owner
Local time
12:32 AM
Reaction score
I am a little confused about the wiring of the auxiliary battery. Which connections are associated with the auxiliary battery? There are fourteen connections, which are wired to the starter battery and which to the auxiliary battery?

The additional battery option, which is not exactly cheap, makes no sense if all fourteen connections run via the starter battery.
None of the connections are wired to the battery
They are all wired to the fuse box.
The question is how are the batteries connected to the fuse box

Logsplitter

Photo Contest Winner
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Most (DCDC chargers) will have an ignition wire which is all they need, if its still a real problem it's easy to fit a diode to circumvent this in the fuse box
Thanks 👍
DC-DC chargers are not the problem, they are the solution. As per my post VSCR split chargers are the problem as not compatible with euro 6 spec vehicles with ecu controlled alternators.

DCPU

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Equally, the fourteen connections make no sense if they run via the auxiliary battery and you haven't optioned it.

Kruegerruda

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
It would be ideal if the 14 connections could be freely assigned, partly to starters such as auxiliary lights or to sockets in the charging area via Second battery for the cool box.

Back
Top Bottom