The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Searching for tapped T-nut hardware to fit into Utility Belt (L-Track)

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
3:19 PM
Reaction score
I am actively working on a number of new products (hopefully to be sold via the Grenadier Works forum store some day) that will be mounted to the Utility Belt. The Grenadier "Utility Belt" is actually a system called L-track that came originally (I think) from aircraft freighter interior tie-down rails. The available off-the-shelf items for use with this rail is limited mostly to repositionable tie-down points, which are only designed to hold in tension. The aluminum extruded shape is fairly (but not perfectly) standardized, and you can but it from lots of sources. The insertion hole pattern is on a 1.0 inch spacing.

The snap-in repositionable items are great for tie-downs, but I want to attach items to the rail using threaded hardware for rigidity and theft deterrent. In this case items can still be readily removed with tools. I can find only one rigid mounting option out there for L-track; a threaded stud that is very common. This stud seems to be standardized on a 3/8"-24 thread (probably dates back to early aviation applications), and always engages such that it is aligned with a hole position, which requires the hardware to span about 1-1/2in (40mm). This width is inconvenient in some cases, particularly on the lower door mount locations (blocks) because they are very short sections of track and the hardware hangs out of the block.

Pic of threaded stud:
ThreadedStud.jpg

I have used these studs successfully and they are stout, but I am hoping for something more low-profile. Ideally I want to find a tapped T-nut that fits into the rail. I have searched with no success. I found steel plate style hardware that fits, but not well enough to be confidence-inspiring (it easily slips out of position vertically prior to tightening).

I designed a couple things that could work well, shown below:
Nut.jpg
Pivoting Rail Nut.jpg

I think this could be a great solution for some of the products I am working on, however getting them made economically requires a commitment to high volumes. This may be feasible, but I am really hoping someone out there can help me find something.

Any ideas??

Asnes

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
>>>>I found steel plate style hardware that fits, but not well enough to be confidence-inspiring (it easily slips out of position vertically prior to tightening).

Hi Ben. This may or may not be helpful, I use those studs to secure a plywood base to which I mount my fridge slide.

For what it’s worth, I shoved some foam under the bolts when they were positioned in the track to keep them from moving / coming out of place when I dropped the floor down to install/remove. It’s a mcgyver hack but maybe something to think about to avoid having the steel plates get out of place…. Just a thought. Not high tech / commercial grade solution but it works as a hack.

Attachments

• IMG_1936.jpeg
    IMG_1936.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG_2221.jpeg
    IMG_2221.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1938.jpeg
    IMG_1938.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 21
Last edited:

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Hi Ben, do a search for 'airline rail' on Amazon and you may find these rail nuts with clip plates. I've used them on my Utility Belt and they fit perfectly. These are made in Germany. https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0CKHPXMKR?tag=globalgrena0b-20

This is super helpful!! Thank you!

I designed this bit of hardware myself, because I thought it should exist. I am always happy to be validated and find out that something does in fact need to exist!

Pivoting Rail Nut_single.jpg

Now how to buy them in the US?? Seems like they are German market only.

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
@TheDocAUS and @ValaisGrenadier - you have been extremely helpful helping me find this t-nut from NTG. This is exactly what we want to be buying by the 100's and distributing via the forum store.

NTG Nut.jpg

It's perfect for attaching things to the Utility Belt without a big threaded stud sticking out.

Anyone have any clue how we can get them in North America?

The German Amazon site sells them in a 10-pack at a workable price, but I can't get them shipped here. I'm not trying to get them for free, just trying to get them.

BenTN

Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Continuing the mission to find the elusive T-nut suitable for mounting of various accessories to the L-track, available in North America...

The NTG T-nut looks to be a high-quality product (stainless steel with positioning clip, designed to fit this "airline" rail precisely). However I have not been able to find any source that will ship directly to the US, and shipping indirectly (from Germany to somewhere else then to the US) is proving cost prohibitive so far.

We are now actively quoting a custom design with a trusted domestic US source. Will be a few more days before we finalize.

One thing we recently realized: the "non-standard" lower L-track on the Grenadier doors has a narrower slot dimension that the upper track. I have already seen some off-the-shelf L-track hardware not consistently fit into those short lower track blocks. This makes me concerned that the German T-nut (The NTG nut from the photos above) might not fit either. That concern combined with high cost of that T-nut pushes us towards the custom solution.

I've discussed this with Stu and the forum store may be able to source these and stock them for use by all owners. We can also incorporate them into other upcoming kit products.

Latest CAD model and a 3d-printed fitment prototype are shown below.

Screenshot 2024-09-10 084607.jpg 20240910_102224.jpg
20240910_102239.jpg 20240910_102253.jpg

The M8 nut enters any clearance hole along the rail, then slides into a holding position. It "finds" its ideal position when rotated clockwise during tightening, which aids in locating an attachment.

MileHigh

That Guy
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I was just going to offer to 3D print stuff that you might mock up, but I see that you already have that done. I’ve been really impressed by the Prusa PA11-CF if you are looking for something higher performance- and most importantly, printable (bed adhesion and smoothness in printing).

I’ve designed a couple of attachment methods for the rail, but I’ve focused on ease of taking it on and off and moving.

3D printing wouldn’t be horrible for such small parts. It looks like printing it so that the layers strenthen the part, not leave a layer as the weakpoint would be the next-level part, but with the bolt all the way through, that would give some strength to it.

Local time
2:19 PM
Reaction score
Land Rover guy here just lurking ... I have several bits of L-track in the back of the 110 Perentie and have bought several varieties of connectors from these folks ... Not sure if the Grenadier track is the same as L-track or not.

No affiliation...

Good Luck ... back to lurking :)

Stu_Barnes

Grenadier Owner
Fixer & General Dogsbody
Local time
12:19 PM
Reaction score
As a follow up to this, we have designed our own Specifically for the Grenadier rails. After a bit of investigation not all L track is created equal so a bespoke solution is in the works.

Back
Top Bottom