The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rough resonance, harmonic balance, vibration at 1800-2000 rpm solutions? B57 TD

Ray

Local time
11:44 AM
Reaction score
May already been discussed, but has anyone come up with a soloution to this? is it the engine mounts, airbox or have people had different soloutions or are people just living with it. I did play around with the airbox and it seems to be loose (can shake it arounf and it doesnt apear to be fixed hard - I dont know where to tighten it, I couldnt find anything to tighten tbh. but would accept any idea or solution. Ta

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
2:44 AM
Reaction score
I have, yes. It appears that it's common on the diesel but no one has a solution 🤔
The airbox is meant to be slightly loose. It sits on rubber mounts. When you accelerate hard, it vibrates. It vibrates and rubs against the heat shield. The heat shield at the top of the airbox then vibrates against a metal fastener on the other side. The key is to slightly bend the heat shield so it clears both the airbox and the metal clip right at the top.

To test, use your palm and lightly bang on the airbox and listen for any metal clanging.

Local time
Reaction score
Looking at the engine and transmission mount system I really do not think there is going to be much change in the NHV without a change in the engine and transmission mounting system, it is not very modern for a modern passenger car.

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Looking at the engine and transmission mount system I really do not think there is going to be much change in the NHV without a change in the engine and transmission mounting system, it is not very modern for a modern passenger car.
Getting my dealer to check if the engine mounts are installed and torque up correctly. Also checking if the drive shaft is aligned when they changed the transfer case under service recall. Something between these two isn’t right. Mine at idle (in gear, brakes off vibrates the whole dashboard) and also resonance vibration at 64mph to 66mph (1800 rpm) on the motorway, which is the speed I travel on motorways. I’ve had two BMW X5 diesels, none had this issue and it’s annoying.

Local time
Reaction score
Getting my dealer to check if the engine mounts are installed and torque up correctly. Also checking if the drive shaft is aligned when they changed the transfer case under service recall. Something between these two isn’t right. Mine at idle (in gear, brakes off vibrates the whole dashboard) and also resonance vibration at 64mph to 66mph (1800 rpm) on the motorway, which is the speed I travel on motorways. I’ve had two BMW X5 diesels, none had this issue and it’s annoying.
The design of the engine and transmission mounting for the Grenadier is nothing like a monocoque BMW chassis for the same engine. The Grenadier is closer to a light truck or a LC79 for mounting the engine and transmission and looking at it there is going to be NVH associated with the system, you can retorque it all day it's not going to change much.

Last edited:

Skydance

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
The design of the engine and transmission mounting for the Grenadier is nothing like a monocoque BMW chassis for the same engine. The Grenadier is closer to a light truck or a LC79 for mounting the engine and transmission and looking at it there is going to be NHV associated with the system, you can retorque it all day it's not going to change much.
Interesting. Are you saying that all Ineos diesels have this characteristic. Heavy duty that why.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
On a conventional vehicle the engine mounts are designed to absorb Noise, Vibration and Harshness.

If you lift the bonnet/hood and rev the engine, it doesn't move. Not so with other vehicles where it moves a fair amount.

Of you are driving 1st low, down a sharp descent for example, you really don't want that jerkiness from a softly mounted engine.

The downside is that NVH, as with many diesels, quite prominent at around 1800 rpm.

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I find 800RPM (or what ever the idle is foe Diesel) to be ROUGH AS GUTS. Nothing above this though causes any issues.
800RPM wakes my kids in the back seat at stop lights...

Reactions: Ray
Back
Top Bottom