The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Rear stock yellow Eibach coil springs noisy under light load

C-Mack

Grenadier Owner
Local time
1:40 PM
Reaction score
Curious if anyone else has experienced a metallic clattering/knocking noise with the rear stock yellow Eibach springs under light load? It appears the tighter wound coils at the top of the spring have a couple of millimeters space between them under light load. I’ve noticed on course aggregate roads I get a resonance/metallic chatter coming from the right rear. I confirmed the noise by getting underneath and giving the spring a few thumps by hand at normal ride height and you can see the spring coils vibrate together making the metallic noise I’m hearing. Jamming your finger against the coils and thumping it again you can stop the noise

Maybe with more miles the springs will settle a bit taking up some of the space between those tighter wound coils? I tried to replicate the same noise on the left rear and it is solid and doesn’t make the chattering noise. Are there spring isolators available which can be wrapped around some of the coils to help dampen such a noise?

C-Mack

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Included a short video clip of the noise the right rear spring is making as I go down the road. Vehicle in the video is stationary at normal ride height on a flat surface empty with no additional cargo or weight in the vehicle. Can't replicate the noise on the left rear it is solid and does not rattle. Vehicle has less than 200 miles on it at this point.

Attachments

• IMG_3901.mov
    4.8 MB

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
Included a short video clip of the noise the right rear spring is making as I go down the road. Vehicle in the video is stationary at normal ride height on a flat surface empty with no additional cargo or weight in the vehicle. Can't replicate the noise on the left rear it is solid and does not rattle. Vehicle has less than 200 miles on it at this point.
Weird...

Are both springs marked with a double red diamond? That's the load rating code. Different ratings will cause the weight to be carried unevenly and may have a minor difference in the free length. Is there a significant suspension height difference on the left versus right side when measured between the wheel arch and the wheel rim?

Are the springs seats profiled for the cut end of the spring or are the springs ground flat? You might need to rotate the spring so it sits into the seat correctly.

Afterthought: You could try disconnecting the right side shock at the bottom mount and test again just to eliminate shock binding which might be holding weight off that spring.

Attachments

• Rear Spring Ratings.png
    Rear Spring Ratings.png
    75.8 KB · Views: 14

C-Mack

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Both rear springs are the same with the double red triangles and identical part numbers ending in ...21751. As far as I can tell the bottom and top of both rear springs are sitting in their respective seats correctly and both top isolator pads are present. I plan on spending some time in the next day or so to re-verify everything is correct. Would love to be able to sort this out myself as the dealer is a 180 mile round trip just to chase a noise they might not be able to replicate knowing my luck.

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
my rear springs also make that noise if you hit them or hit the tire from the side.
but it doesn't seem to me that they make noise when moving.
the problem is caused by the misalignment of about 10/15 mm of the spring + relative rubber support on the frame. in my case the right spring is completely off-center to the right and touches the frame.
I should disassemble it and try to center it but to date I haven't done it because in my opinion it doesn't create problems in the guide.
however, I don't exclude that the noise is simply created by the last coils at the top being very close to each other.
I would also be curious to understand how the upper part of the spring and its rubber support aligns and joins the frame. It seems strange to me that mine has moved since even in twist the spring does not move.

Last edited:

C-Mack

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
My rear springs appear to be located correctly on the axle and the isolators at the top of both is correctly installed with the coils fully seated. Neither spring appears to be rubbing the frame as there is clearance around the coils but I do see what you mean about them having a peculiar curve as you look up the length of the spring from the axle to the spring perch at the top. I would assume the isolator pads at the top have a dimple or notch in the center that probably locates on a corresponding pin on the chassis to keep the springs located properly but that is an assumption. I guess it’s possible during assembly they may not have been installed incorrectly or maybe things moved out of position during high amount of axle articulation off-road or something?

I was able to replicate the rattling sound on both rear springs now by hitting them where as before only the right rear. I tend to agree this is most likely not causing a rattle during driving as it would be happening all the time so I think I’m chasing another noise not related to the springs. This vehicle is great and since taken delivery I’ve found and been able to tweak or fix all rattles so far but one on the right rear when vehicle is cold. Almost sounds like internal to exhaust as it goes away quickly and never occurs again until the morning when it’s cold again.

C-Mack

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Quick update.. still having this odd rattle
from right rear spring. Now when I close either the right rear passenger or cargo door you can hear the coils clattering together slightly. I was looking for some coils spring sleeves to slip around a couple of the coils near the top of the spring to dampen the clattering but can’t find any big enough to fit the gauge of the coil wire. Anyone know of some sleeves that will work?

C-Mack

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
can you make a video with noise you hear?
This is the exact noise in this video clip which I can replicate by thumping the spring directly. Closing the rear cargo door causes the same rattle. I can wedge a finger between the coils near the top of the spring and have someone else close the door and no rattling occurs but you can feel the spring vibrate in your hand. Left rear spring makes the same noise but only if you really thump it hard but under all other conditions it is silent.

Comparing the two rear springs and how they are mounted it looks like the right rear (the one that rattles the most) top spring perch is sitting about 5mm further towards the the front of the vehicle compared to the left rear. Curious if that extra 5mm is just enough to pinch the tighter coils closer together at the top causing the rattling sound? I am toying around with trying to unload the right rear enough to shift the spring in perch a little so it matches the other side and maybe that will redistribute the load on the spring just enough to quiet it down?

No noises can be heard from either spring when driving at least which is a good thing. Just when the vehicle is stationary on a flat surface. Odd problem to have I know.

Attachments

• IMG_3901.mov
    6.8 MB
Last edited:

ORSO

Grenadier Owner
Local time
9:40 PM
Reaction score
ok, so you don't hear the springs noise while driving.

You can search Tein silencer or alternatively insert a heat shrink tubing between the tightest turns

Back
Top Bottom