The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Privacy? What privacy?

DenisM

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:53 AM
Reaction score
I saw somewhere a "promise" by Ineos that "we will not sell your data"! I will admit to not thinking about it too much until I came across a YouTube by a Texas business professor (one of these YouTube happenstance algorithm 'Captain's picks' which popped up).
The good professor was reporting on the latest by the Texas Attorney-General who has lodged a 36 page writ with the court accusing GM of stealing and selling personal data on the driving habits of their customers to complicit insurance companies which then jack up premiums for those same customers.
It's obviously an industry dirty secret and I'll bet that GM are not alone. The professor makes a valid point that the insurance companies have been gaining financial advantage from stolen data.
The Att. Gen. argues that GM obtained customers' consent by deception.
I shall watch with interest... the flow-on could be significant.
View: https://youtu.be/kwWvYBRBlYc?si=2sKVPqoWg_7nlWUG

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I saw somewhere a "promise" by Ineos that "we will not sell your data"! I will admit to not thinking about it too much until I came across a YouTube by a Texas business professor (one of these YouTube happenstance algorithm 'Captain's picks' which popped up).
The good professor was reporting on the latest by the Texas Attorney-General who has lodged a 36 page writ with the court accusing GM of stealing and selling personal data on the driving habits of their customers to complicit insurance companies which then jack up premiums for those same customers.
It's obviously an industry dirty secret and I'll bet that GM are not alone. The professor makes a valid point that the insurance companies have been gaining financial advantage from stolen data.
The Att. Gen. argues that GM obtained customers' consent by deception.
I shall watch with interest... the flow-on could be significant.
View: https://youtu.be/kwWvYBRBlYc?si=2sKVPqoWg_7nlWUG
It's concerning @DenisM. This is getting a fair amount of reporting as more new cars have onboard telematics.
Kaspersky, an Internet Security company, reported on it here in May.

Yes, the same Kaspersky company that is blacklisted in the USA for alleged ties to the Russian FSB 🙆‍♀️.

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
It makes you wonder what Musk is doing with all that Tesla data.

Reactions: CRH

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
The private data being speeding and/or use off gazetted roads and what else?
Mobile phone use whilst driving?
In Australia, postal code and mobile phone use governs premiums , and it helps to be in the Goldilocks age group, assuming you haven't run foul of the law.

Clark Kent

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
The private data being speeding and/or use off gazetted roads and what else?
Mobile phone use whilst driving?
In Australia, postal code and mobile phone use governs premiums , and it helps to be in the Goldilocks age group, assuming you haven't run foul of the law.
Whatever is available and for whatever purpose they choose. From that Kaspersky blog:
The profiles compiled by LexisNexis were found to contain detailed data on all trips made in the insured vehicle, including start and end times, duration, distance and, crucially, all instances of hard acceleration and braking. And it was this data that insurers were using to increase insurance premiums for less-than-perfect drivers.

But the issue being reported is as much about the monetisation and sharing of driver data without consent or disclosure to the owner, which goes against most privacy acts and regs. As the saying goes: If you're getting the product for free then you are the product!

My other daily has telematics via a data modem and I sleep ok at night. The tinfoil helmet gets scratchy tho...

trobex

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:53 PM
Reaction score
I was getting new insurance quotes recently and 2 of the 5 companies I contacted asked me how many times per week did I use a mobile in the vehicle. I asked them to clarify, because, using a mobile phone in a vehicle is illegal if you are moving, engine on, etc. However, I then asked what if I am parked in a private driveway, but the engine is on? The fella had no clue, so I asked the 2 (idiotic) companies to please refer the matter to a senior for advice on what they meant by mobile phone use in a vehicle. Clowns. They are going to use as much data as possible to increase premiums, whilst simultaneously rejecting claims whenever they can be based on certain user input. In the end I stuck with current insurer because they did not have retarded questions like asking me if I do illegal mobile phone use in a car...

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Using a mobile to make a call via the infotainment screen is not illegal. Well maybe it is in your state.

Back
Top Bottom