The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Popping Sound When Turning Steering Wheel

Local time
3:45 PM
Reaction score
Hey All -

Just over 2K miles and been daily driving it with a very relaxed drive most days. Today was no different but then I went out later in the evening and the car suddenly started making a popping noise around the lower part of the steering column whenever I turn the wheel left or right.

It doesn’t have to be at full lock, and sometimes changes when the pops happen (not at the same point every time). I’ll get one, sometimes two or three little “pops”.

No difference in steering or any noticeable feel. Went under to look and nothing sticks out or looks out of place.

Not lifted. Fox steering stabilizer. Only thing I’ve done recently is aftermarket wheels on the OEM tires. Close to OEM offset and 17” wheel. All lugs are tightened.

Sound really feels like it’s coming from around steering column but a little lower than the steering wheel. Seems like it’s in the dash but lower towards footwell.

I’ve got a short road trip planned and am concerned about it. Or is this a minor thing that people have been living with?

Anything I should look for or mention to the service team at the dealer?

Thanks in advance!

anand

Photo Contest Winner
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
If you quickly rotate the steering wheel left and right (maybe 1/4 turn each way) is there a knocking? If so, it sounds like you may need a steering column

landmannnn

Grenadier Owner
Local time
11:45 PM
Reaction score
IG replaced my steering column. They had one in stock, so not uncommon I guess.

bigleonski

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:45 AM
Reaction score
I got the steering “clunk” after a week of wheeling around Fraser Island. For the most part reasonably straightforward sand driving, although a few instances of launching up steep entry points or stretches of very soft sand with a lot of bounce shaking things about. Clunk in the same spot as you rotated the wheel 3 clunks to the left, three clunks to the right.
It has settled down now I’ve been home for a week, but still there occasionally.
There’s a few threads on the clunk.
I’ve done nearly 9000km and will get it serviced at 10,000km so will get Ignition to look at it when they charge me an obnoxious amount of money for what is a simple service.

Phred

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
6:45 PM
Reaction score
I don’t get a firm clunk, but a slight groan when I first turn. Noticeable but not alarming, I was putting it on my list for first servicing.

Back
Top Bottom