The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

PNW Newbie

brandt

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:36 PM
Reaction score
Hey! I'm Brandt. I've been through many adventurous vehicles: LR4, LC200, LC100, 4Runners, Wrangler Rubicon, Sprinters, Motorcycles, BMW, KTM stuff like that.

I've always dreamed of getting a Defender for the stance, size, capability etc but I just do too many miles. I live waaaay up northwest and also have a home near Las Vegas so I never felt comfortable enough to roll the dice with the Land Rover. I even sold my LR4 and replaced it with the LC200 when I left Los Angeles and knew I'd be driving more highways. But here I am... lured in by the Grenadier.

I'm really curious about the towing capability. I have a 25' Airstream that weighs in at about 5600lbs with about 700 on the tongue. I tow it now with a huge GMC 2500 Duramax that hardly knows it's there.

I'm ready for the quirks and niggly bits. I'll pull the trigger this weekend on either a Magic Mushroom or Shale Blue (dreaming of matte PPF).
I'm reading and watching videos but thanks in advance for any pearls of wisdom you have to share.

cheers!

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got the shale blue. Highly recommended. I ordered the magic mushroom but took an order someone backed out on and I really dig the color.

Quirks... Steering. I updated to the agile off-road steering damper and it was a noticeable improvement. You need to be a bit forceful when closing the hood.
Other than that I haven't had many quirks.
I changed the rear view mirror for a wolfbox digital mirror. I thought that was a worthwhile upgrade that was functionally necessary.

What to make sure you get. High load center and lockers. The rest can be added but those can't. Highly recommended.

I'll wait until Saturday to say welcome to the club... :)

brandt

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I got the shale blue. Highly recommended. I ordered the magic mushroom but took an order someone backed out on and I really dig the color.

Quirks... Steering. I updated to the agile off-road steering damper and it was a noticeable improvement. You need to be a bit forceful when closing the hood.
Other than that I haven't had many quirks.
I changed the rear view mirror for a wolfbox digital mirror. I thought that was a worthwhile upgrade that was functionally necessary.

What to make sure you get. High load center and lockers. The rest can be added but those can't. Highly recommended.

I'll wait until Saturday to say welcome to the club... :)
Great input. Yeah my minimum requests are, lockers, high load, safari windows, towing.

I'm a bit concerned that the Shale Blue will be a bit flashy for me. I like more subdued colors and things. Maybe Shale Blue with Stealth PPF

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Great input. Yeah my minimum requests are, lockers, high load, safari windows, towing.

I'm a bit concerned that the Shale Blue will be a bit flashy for me. I like more subdued colors and things. Maybe Shale Blue with Stealth PPF
Hi brandt, I have Shale Blue and love it. I have wrapped my roof with Xpel Stealth.
Here's a link to someone who did their whole Grenadier in Stealth. DaBull
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDpeNMwV0yA&t=44s

ScottnAZ

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
Welcome @brandt !

We drag around a 23’ Airstream (6000#), and…..yeah….not gonna compete with the Duramax (but I suspect you already know that 😁)

We recently towed the airstream up some 7%-8% grade in AZ; maxed out at 50mph. Sat in the right lane with the hazards on. But we made it to our destination just fine.

We’ve also drug the AS out to California several times. Pretty flat for the most part; towed just fine, plenty of power, nice and smooth.

We’ll see what our upcoming Fall trip towing through Colorado will be like.?.

Here’s some insight to trailer brake controller install: https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/na-trailer-brake-controller-install.12414979/

brandt

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Welcome @brandt !

We drag around a 23’ Airstream (6000#), and…..yeah….not gonna compete with the Duramax (but I suspect you already know that 😁)

We recently towed the airstream up some 7%-8% grade in AZ; maxed out at 50mph. Sat in the right lane with the hazards on. But we made it to our destination just fine.

We’ve also drug the AS out to California several times. Pretty flat for the most part; towed just fine, plenty of power, nice and smooth.

We’ll see what our upcoming Fall trip towing through Colorado will be like.?.

Here’s some insight to trailer brake controller install: https://www.theineosforum.com/threads/na-trailer-brake-controller-install.12414979/
Awesome! Thanks! I'm nervous about the control really. I don't mind going slow I just don't want the trailer to jerk us around.

Tony1965

Grenadier Owner
Local time
Reaction score
I think you would be at the max towing capacity. I have a 30 ft AS and i tow it with a ford f350. I would be concerned about being so close to the max capacity. Nothing more scary that being pushed around by something bigger than you. The straight six gas motor may not hold up to the challenge. I would not do it. However you could let us know if it works or not. It will be covered under the warrantee.

Good luck keep us posted.
Tony1965

Back
Top Bottom