The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Multimeter

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
12:36 PM
Reaction score
Anyone able to recommend a decent multimeter for electrical work in Grenadier?

Fluke 114 seems to come out with good reviews but open to suggestions.

I’m currently working on getting a compressor installed and can’t see not needing one for this job and future fiddling.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
8:36 PM
Reaction score
Fluke is the benchmark but expensive. I think they are overpriced.

I have a Hioki DT4256 which is made in Japan, excellent quality and around AUD500. A really, really nice multimeter.

For US users take a look at Klein mutlimeters.

Plenty of cheap Chinese made multimeters but you must be careful which one you buy. Darren Walker on his YouTube Channel reviews many multimeters. The KAIWEETS HT118E is a good choice at the lower price point. I use it on the road.

Last edited:

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Cheers @TheDocAUS - Hioki 4256 looks good now if I could only find it in my part of the world… tomorrow!

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Cheers @TheDocAUS - Hioki 4256 looks good now if I could only find it in my part of the world… tomorrow!
This may help: https://www.hioki.com/euro-en/support/network

In Australia I looked around and found one online shop about 25 percent less than the others - it may have been on special.

The Kaiweets is good for the price. UNi-T also make some good multimeters and I have a small UNi-T clamp multimeter for the road as well.

Clamp meters are good for checking current on LIVE circuits above 20 amps – the upper limit of many multimeters.

Last edited:

Tomdoc

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:36 AM
Reaction score
Kaiweets are really good for the price. They’re well regarded in the hobby radio electronics market.

acwiltshire

Grenadier Owner
Local time
6:36 AM
Reaction score

I’m currently working on getting a compressor installed and can’t see not needing one for this job and future fiddling.
Had the same Fluke since 1999

Jean Mercier

GG#920
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I have a very decent Voltcraft multimeter at home and a very cheap "AliExpress" Chinese multimeter in the car. Usually the second one is sufficient for what I am doing: 12V measurements and ohms.

Fluke is indeed the Roll Royce of the multimeters, but unless you are a professional or even amateur using it daily, in my opinion not worth the investment.

TheDocAUS

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Importance of quality probes
One suggestion, make sure your multimeter has good quality probes, as poor quality probes can affect readings. The Hioki does and US users can source high quality probes from ProbeMaster.

Last edited:

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score

METERS This thread might help you - towards the end. I bought a Klein, which is an American company that I’m not can be had worldwide.

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
METERS This thread might help you - towards the end. I bought a Klein, which is an American company that I’m not can be had worldwide.
Thanks @Krabby, just had a quick hunt about for Klein seems like there is actually good distribution over here as well. MM450 looks reasonable? Any thoughts ?

Krabby

Global Grenadier 76
Forum Moderator
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
I don’t remember which one I bought. Should be home in a few hours and will post.

nickelnoff

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Nice one @Krabby - looks to be good bang for buck. Can't see the MM600 over here but the MM700 which is perhaps the updated version has some great reviews. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom