The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

Main Headlamps Upgrade?

74CampySuperRecord

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:24 AM
Reaction score
I just drove across the majority of the US Heartland and back this last week. Arizona to Wisconsin and the return leg.

I did realize that the stock headlamps are absolutely horrible at night on two lane undivided highways at 70 mph+ speeds. The squashed insects on the windscreen made vision even worse. We stopped every hour or so to squeegee the windscreen and headlamp lenses.

I rolled the height of the beams and could not get a good focus on the center line and white line ahead without being constantly flashed by oncoming trucks and other vehicles.

This was in Iowa and Kansas on the plains and it is really dark at night. Except for the vehicles screaming at you from the other direction.

The stock headlamps really made driving the wagon a bit frightening in these conditions.

Is there a fix? Adding KC grille lamps this weekend. Those would have made matters much worse.

Cheers.

AWo

Local time
1:24 PM
Reaction score
Are sure they are adjusted as they should? Have you checked that?

When we did the test drives we had a New Defender with LED with us to compare and it was so bad compared to the IG.

Can you send pictures while standing on a level tarmac ground?

AWo

parb

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
4:24 AM
Reaction score
I did realize that the stock headlamps are absolutely horrible at night on two lane undivided highways at 70 mph+ speeds. The squashed insects on the windscreen made vision even worse. We stopped every hour or so to squeegee the windscreen and headlamp lenses.

I rolled the height of the beams and could not get a good focus on the center line and white line ahead without being constantly flashed by oncoming trucks and other vehicles.
I went on a 1,200 mile US/West trip in my Grenadier and I too have learned that carrying window cleaner and a squeegee on a handle is a necessity for when driving in the desert when the bugs come out. It's a bug magnet!

However, I also figured out that the headlights had to be adjusted. They where pointing down in the most extreme way. There is a dial on the overhead panel to adjust this. Once I got it setup it wasn't horrible. However the Baja 80s in the grille made a incredible difference. I highly recommend those.

Back
Top Bottom