The Grenadier Forum
Register Now for enhanced site access.
INEOS Agents, Dealers or Commercial vendors please contact admin@theineosforum.com for a commercial account.

General Kickdown Switch

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
2:29 AM
Reaction score
Just realised my Gren has a “kickdown switch” (had to google that term). Took me a few months and 5000km to realise.

I have not owned a vehicle with this before.

I wonder how many others are unaware.

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
I haven’t tried but will do. Have used the manual mode to get some extra power in some overtakes, but good to know. Thanks !

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
5:29 PM
Reaction score
Just realised my Gren has a “kickdown switch” (had to google that term). Took me a few months and 5000km to realise.

What do you mean by kickdown switch? I would be surpised if there was a physical switch. Modern automatics will kickdown by computer in a range of conditions including hard acceleration older autos sometimes had a physical switch under the accelerator.

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
What do you mean by kickdown switch? I would be surpised if there was a physical switch. Modern automatics will kickdown by computer in a range of conditions including hard acceleration older autos sometimes had a physical switch under the accelerator.
Yes. A physical switch. Closes contacts and the computer does its thing, but yes, a switch.

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Yes. A physical switch. Closes contacts and the computer does its thing, but yes, a switch.

Attachments

• IMG_6918.jpeg
    IMG_6918.jpeg
    610.2 KB · Views: 104

AnD3rew

Inch deep and a mile wide.
Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Well it is supposed to be old school

Reactions: Cam

DaBull

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
11:29 PM
Reaction score

Is the witch automatically engaged when you press all the way down on the gas peddle? DaBull

Local time
7:29 AM
Reaction score
I thought these disappeared with the advent of ECU-controlled auto boxes. The ZF control unit seems to fully understand when to downshift, and by how many gears. Can't really understand the utility of this switch.

I just checked my truck, and I have a kickdown switch too!

kickdown.jpg

Cam

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Local time
Reaction score
Is the witch automatically engaged when you press all the way down on the gas peddle? DaBull
Yes. But it’s a deliberate click. So it feels as if the pedal is all the way down, then a firmer push and it’ll click.

marcusnilsson

Grenadier Owner
Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
I tried today. Went from gear 8 to 6 and made a beautiful sound on the German autobahn. The AC also went up like 5 degrees instantly 😆😆

Tazzieman

Grenadier Owner
Lifetime Supporter
Founding Guard
Local time
Reaction score
Lovely old school touch.
The kickdown in my old Porsche 928 scares the hell out of unsuspecting passengers. It's the turbo you have when you don't have a turbo!

Back
Top Bottom